Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Filters any good on digital compact?

Filters any good on digital compact?

SleeperMan

I wonder...i have Canon S2...
and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with software
already in the camera, since i can choose among number of preset scenes,
like beach, snow etc...
But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good for lens
protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

Ed Lowe

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13NKe.1283$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wonder...i have Canon S2...
> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with software
> already in the camera, since i can choose among number of preset scenes,
> like beach, snow etc...
> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good for lens
> protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

What does "worthed" mean? I can't find it in any dictionary.

Proteus

SleeperMan wrote:

> I wonder...i have Canon S2...
> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with software
> already in the camera, since i can choose among number of preset scenes,
> like beach, snow etc...
> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good for lens
> protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

UV or skylight filter is mandatory for lens protection. Polarization filter
can reduce or eliminate reflections from glass off a window or car and so
on, no software will be able to do that as effectively. But other filters
like colored gradients and such are pointless as those can be better done
with software without dropping the exposure through the lens.

SleeperMan

Ed Lowe wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:13NKe.1283$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wonder...i have Canon S2...
>> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
>> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with
>> software already in the camera, since i can choose among number of
>> preset scenes, like beach, snow etc...
>> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good
>> for lens protection, but i wonder if it does anything else
>>

> What does "worthed" mean? I can't find it in any dictionary.

Hm... worth maybe?

SleeperMan

Proteus wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> I wonder...i have Canon S2...
>> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
>> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with
>> software already in the camera, since i can choose among number of
>> preset scenes, like beach, snow etc...
>> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good
>> for lens protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

> UV or skylight filter is mandatory for lens protection. Polarization
> filter can reduce or eliminate reflections from glass off a window or
> car and so on, no software will be able to do that as effectively.
> But other filters like colored gradients and such are pointless as
> those can be better done with software without dropping the exposure
> through the lens.

aha...so you mean lens protection as against scratches etc...? OK, i can go
with that, since lens in my camera can't be removed and UV filter is cheap.
So, it doesn't degrade quality, but doesn't improve it either...?
So, polarization filter in short removes your image
reflection...interesting...

CFB

In article <13NKe.1283$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I wonder...i have Canon S2...
> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with software
> already in the camera, since i can choose among number of preset scenes,
> like beach, snow etc...

There are somethings that can be fixed digitally. Not UV though. (Tell
me the work flow to get rid of fog and haze if I am wrong.)

And most things the polarizing lens is used for, flare and reflection of
water and glass, can not be reproduced digitally.

--

http://home.nc.rr.com/christianbonanno/

Nostrobino

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13NKe.1283$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wonder...i have Canon S2...
> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with software
> already in the camera, since i can choose among number of preset scenes,
> like beach, snow etc...

Well, your camera can't do internally what a polarizer does. If you really
need a polarizer then that's what you need, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to
get one until you know you're going to have a need for it. A polarizer will
reduce or eliminate certain kinds of reflections under certain
circumstances, and also will darken a blue sky (making clouds stand out
better) under certain circumstances, and may otherwise increase color
saturation--under certain circumstances. But really it's an item that most
photographers will find very little use for. I have several polarizers and
can't remember the last time I used one.

> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good for lens
> protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

There are two schools of thought about this. My own preference is to *never*
use a filter "to protect the lens." Other people disagree, and of course it
is possible to damage a lens (like anything else) and it's possible that a
filter might prevent such damage. I have been using cameras fairly seriously
for over 50 years now, have used filters when I needed one for the purpose
for which filters are designed (to remove or reduce certain wavelengths of
light), have *never* used one "to protect the lens" and have never had a
lens damaged because it didn't have a filter on it. I do like to use a lens
hood when possible (not all lenses will accept one) and that offers some
protection without the drawbacks of filters.

Does the Canon S2 even have a lens that's threaded for filters? Or would you
have to buy an accessory tube to do that?

N.

Nostrobino

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsPNKe.1288$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Proteus wrote:
>> SleeperMan wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder...i have Canon S2...
>>> and i'm thinking...is it worthed to get any filter, like UV filter or
>>> polarization filter? All this can (or is) supposely done with
>>> software already in the camera, since i can choose among number of
>>> preset scenes, like beach, snow etc...
>>> But, i guess you guys will know more. OK, some say filter is good
>>> for lens protection, but i wonder if it does anything else

>> UV or skylight filter is mandatory for lens protection. Polarization
>> filter can reduce or eliminate reflections from glass off a window or
>> car and so on, no software will be able to do that as effectively.
>> But other filters like colored gradients and such are pointless as
>> those can be better done with software without dropping the exposure
>> through the lens.

> aha...so you mean lens protection as against scratches etc...? OK, i can
> go with that, since lens in my camera can't be removed and UV filter is
> cheap. So, it doesn't degrade quality, but doesn't improve it either...?

The actual purpose of a UV filter is to filter out ultraviolet. Very few
people actually need to do this, and UV filters are mostly used "to protect
the lens." It certainly won't improve image quality (except in the unlikely
case that some loss of quality is due to ultraviolet) and may degrade it
somewhat, since you are adding two more air/glass surfaces to the front of
your lens which may add reflections, collect dust, etc. A friend of mine
left a UV filter on his camera all the time "to protect the lens," and it
became stuck so fast to the filter ring that it couldn't be removed. Still
dust managed to work inside, and since he couldn't get the filter off he
couldn't clean the dust out either.

> So, polarization filter in short removes your image
> reflection...interesting...

The important phrase here is "under certain circumstances." EVERYTHING a
polarizer does, it does only under certain circumstances. It removes some
kinds of reflections, but not specular reflections. It removes reflections
from water--when the angle of reflection is within certain limits. It
darkens a blue sky--when the camera is pointing 90 degrees from the
direction of the sun, but the darkening effect falls off as you move away
from that angle. And so on.

N.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been using cameras fairly seriously
> for over 50 years now, have used filters when I needed one for the purpose
> for which filters are designed (to remove or reduce certain wavelengths of
> light), have *never* used one "to protect the lens"

Now you can buy filters like the Heliopan protection filter which does
nothing except protect the lens. It is crystal clear multi coated glass.
It removes no UV and does no warming. It's job is to simply protect the
front element of your lens while not reducing the quality of the image
or modifying the image in any way.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

SleeperMan

Nostrobino wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsPNKe.1288$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Proteus wrote:

>>> UV or skylight filter is mandatory for lens protection. Polarization
>>> filter can reduce or eliminate reflections from glass off a window
>>> or car and so on, no software will be able to do that as
>>> effectively. But other filters like colored gradients and such are
>>> pointless as those can be better done with software without
>>> dropping the exposure through the lens.

>> aha...so you mean lens protection as against scratches etc...? OK, i
>> can go with that, since lens in my camera can't be removed and UV
>> filter is cheap. So, it doesn't degrade quality, but doesn't improve
>> it either...?

> The actual purpose of a UV filter is to filter out ultraviolet. Very
> few people actually need to do this, and UV filters are mostly used
> "to protect the lens." It certainly won't improve image quality
> (except in the unlikely case that some loss of quality is due to
> ultraviolet) and may degrade it somewhat, since you are adding two
> more air/glass surfaces to the front of your lens which may add
> reflections, collect dust, etc. A friend of mine left a UV filter on
> his camera all the time "to protect the lens," and it became stuck so
> fast to the filter ring that it couldn't be removed. Still dust
> managed to work inside, and since he couldn't get the filter off he
> couldn't clean the dust out either.
>
>> So, polarization filter in short removes your image
>> reflection...interesting...

> The important phrase here is "under certain circumstances."
> EVERYTHING a polarizer does, it does only under certain
> circumstances. It removes some kinds of reflections, but not specular
> reflections. It removes reflections from water--when the angle of
> reflection is within certain limits. It darkens a blue sky--when the
> camera is pointing 90 degrees from the direction of the sun, but the
> darkening effect falls off as you move away from that angle. And so
> on.
> N.

seems pretty complicated....as whole photography is. Still looot to learn, i
guess. Thanks