Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital workflow - need some help please

Digital workflow - need some help please

Bill Hilton

> Paul Flackett writes ...
>
>So, seems I need to calibrate. Is there any good freeware that I
>can use?

I'm pretty sure that the Adobe Gamma calibration software comes with
Elements 2 ... go to the Help files and type 'monitor calibration' or
similar and it will explain how to access it. This will do an OK job,
not as good as using a $200-ish colorimeter or puck like the Spyder or
Eye-One since you have to eye-ball a couple of key measurements instead
of having the puck actually measure them, but it should fix most of
your problems.

For grins, check to see what you're using now for the default monitor
profile ... if you have Windows XP or similar right-click on the open
desktop and then left-click Properties - Settings - Advanced - Color
Management and see what's listed in the color profiles box list at the
bottom.

>your last adjustment has rendered it very close to
>what I'm seeing in my Photoshop (Elements) original

Good, we're getting close ...

>So does this mean it's just a simple matter of my not having
>calibrated my monitor?

More precisely, it's probably because Elements and RSE are using the
default monitor profile, which could be almost anything if you haven't
run something like Adobe Gamma to calibrate and characterize the
monitor. So you are editing the image using these two programs but the
results will be poor when viewed by someone else with the same programs
using a properly calibrated monitor or by you yourself when viewed in a
program that ignores the monitor profile, like your web browser.

> I'm having difficulty grasping that I can view an original
> image and it's web equivalent side by side on the same monitor and
>the difference I'm seeing is due to monitor calibration!

This can happen if your system is using a bad profile for your monitor
because the profile changes the RGB values of the image so it looks
"right" on the screen, except here the profile is wrong so it's
changing the colors to look wrong when viewed in a program without a
profile, like your web browser. The profile is used by RSE and
Elements so you probably edited the image based on what you saw with
them and that's the problem. This article explains how the RGB values
get translated for different devices when you use the color-managed
workflow, in this case the translation (the monitor icc profile) was
wrong ... http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html

>presumably a very rough and ready calibration could be provided by my
>getting the two images to look roughly the same?

Try the Adobe Gamma calibration way first, in the long run you'll be
better off

>Thanks again.

No problem. Let us know if the calibration fixes it. You can email me
direct if you want to take this off-line ... I'll remove the fox and
waxwing edits later today since it's your work.

Bill

Paul Flackett

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Bill
Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Paul Flackett writes ...
>>
>>So, seems I need to calibrate. Is there any good freeware that I
>>can use?

>I'm pretty sure that the Adobe Gamma calibration software comes with
>Elements 2 ... go to the Help files and type 'monitor calibration' or
>similar and it will explain how to access it.

Yep, found it thanks. I'll have a go with this a bit later.

> This will do an OK job,
>not as good as using a $200-ish colorimeter or puck like the Spyder or
>Eye-One since you have to eye-ball a couple of key measurements instead
>of having the puck actually measure them, but it should fix most of
>your problems.

Just been pricing those up. Spyder 2 is 139 in the UK, ColourPlus is
89. Might be a good investment if I'm going to recalibrate regularly. I
could even hire out my services

>For grins, check to see what you're using now for the default monitor
>profile ... if you have Windows XP or similar right-click on the open
>desktop and then left-click Properties - Settings - Advanced - Color
>Management and see what's listed in the color profiles box list at the
>bottom.

SM193P (default monitor profile).

>>your last adjustment has rendered it very close to
>>what I'm seeing in my Photoshop (Elements) original

>Good, we're getting close ...
>
>>So does this mean it's just a simple matter of my not having
>>calibrated my monitor?

>More precisely, it's probably because Elements and RSE are using the
>default monitor profile, which could be almost anything if you haven't
>run something like Adobe Gamma to calibrate and characterize the
>monitor. So you are editing the image using these two programs but the
>results will be poor when viewed by someone else with the same programs
>using a properly calibrated monitor or by you yourself when viewed in a
>program that ignores the monitor profile, like your web browser.

Ok I understand that.

>This article explains how the RGB values
>get translated for different devices when you use the color-managed
>workflow, in this case the translation (the monitor icc profile) was
>wrong ... http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html

Thanks, I'll have a read of that as soon as I get time.

>No problem. Let us know if the calibration fixes it.

Will do. Thanks.

Paul.

--
Paul Flackett

Bill Hilton

>Paul Flackett writes ...
>
>SM193P (default monitor profile).

You may be wondering how a default profile from the factory could be so
far off ... it might be moderately accurate if the brightness and
contrast settings on your monitor were exactly at the defaults and if
your choice for white balance (ie, 9300 or 6500 or 5500 Kelvins) was
the same as that used by the factory when they created the profile.
But if these are different on your monitor then the profile will be
off. Because of the high contrast in the fox image I'd bet that your
monitor has very different brightness and contrast settings than they
used at the factory for the default profile. Also, they usually set
the default white balance for 9300 Kelvins but most people set the
monitor presets to 6500 K, which throws off the colors.

Will be interesting to see if Adobe Gamma cleans this up ...

Bill

Paul Flackett

>.
>>
>>No problem. Let us know if the calibration fixes it.

>Will do. Thanks.

Yes!!! - we have lift-off.

Tried using Adobe Gamma last night but it made little difference.
Probably didn't help when I got the message that the Samsung default
profile was an unrecognised profile. Uh? Anyway at the end of that I was
beginning to lose faith. However I sent my edited photos to my workplace
and viewed them using PaintShop (Photoshop not available) alongside the
browser version from the web. They were almost identical. So my work
monitor must be well calibrated. The faith returned.

Tonight I fired up the Samsung 'MagicTune' software that controls
everything on the monitor (it has no physical buttons). There is a
colour calibration program on there which knocks the spots off Adobe
Gamma. It's a painful process but at the end of it the two photos looked
virtually the same. Result!!

Bill, John - I can't thank you both enough for your advice and patience.
If you lived close to me I'd buy you both a pint.

Anyway I'm going to stick around here as it's certainly the best camera
ng I've come across so far.

So now for the long haul - building my website.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Flackett