Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > photoshop to get rid of shadows frm large group shot ?

photoshop to get rid of shadows frm large group shot ?

IRISH GENE

any tips on how to get rid of shadow in a large group (50- 60 in
picture) shot in photoshop cs ?

took a picture of co workers at a work aniversary party used 2 strobe
lights to light them up and got way bad shadows close to the persons in
the back ,looks like there is another person there ?.

possible to get rid of them , seems like cloning would be tedious and
take forever ,got to be an easier way ?.

MarkČ

"IRISH GENE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> any tips on how to get rid of shadow in a large group (50- 60 in
> picture) shot in photoshop cs ?
>
> took a picture of co workers at a work aniversary party used 2 strobe
> lights to light them up and got way bad shadows close to the persons in
> the back ,looks like there is another person there ?.
>
> possible to get rid of them , seems like cloning would be tedious and
> take forever ,got to be an easier way ?.

How about posting the shot?

Owamanga

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:25:49 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"IRISH GENE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> any tips on how to get rid of shadow in a large group (50- 60 in
>> picture) shot in photoshop cs ?
>>
>> took a picture of co workers at a work aniversary party used 2 strobe
>> lights to light them up and got way bad shadows close to the persons in
>> the back ,looks like there is another person there ?.
>>
>> possible to get rid of them , seems like cloning would be tedious and
>> take forever ,got to be an easier way ?.

>How about posting the shot?

Nah, it won't help. The shadows will post along with it.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

MarkČ

"Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:25:49 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>>"IRISH GENE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>> any tips on how to get rid of shadow in a large group (50- 60 in
>>> picture) shot in photoshop cs ?
>>>
>>> took a picture of co workers at a work aniversary party used 2 strobe
>>> lights to light them up and got way bad shadows close to the persons in
>>> the back ,looks like there is another person there ?.
>>>
>>> possible to get rid of them , seems like cloning would be tedious and
>>> take forever ,got to be an easier way ?.

>>How about posting the shot?

> Nah, it won't help. The shadows will post along with it.

Ha ha.

Frank ess

MarkČ wrote:
> "Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 13:25:49 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
>> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>
>>> "IRISH GENE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>>> How about posting the shot?

>> Nah, it won't help. The shadows will post along with it.

> Ha ha.

He's right, though.

It seems to me that the circumstances allow but two solutions: buckle
down and do the tedious, or hire it done. No Magick, this time, I
fear.

--
Frank ess

IRISH GENE

http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/sh...6flowres.html#

thanks for the replys , don't thikn there is an easy way around it ?

gene

MarkČ

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
>> "Owamanga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Nah, it won't help. The shadows will post along with it.

>> Ha ha.

> He's right, though.
>
> It seems to me that the circumstances allow but two solutions: buckle down
> and do the tedious, or hire it done. No Magick, this time, I fear.

Sure, but much of this depends on what the OP considers "way bad shadows."
If they have detail, much of it might be significantly improved with a
simple step in photoshop.
I agree that doing it right to begin with is best, but that's simply not
possible for a past event. His only option is to work with what he already
shot...which is why I'd like to see it.

MarkČ

"IRISH GENE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> http://public.fotki.com/IRISHGENE/sh...6flowres.html#
>
> thanks for the replys , don't thikn there is an easy way around it ?
>
> gene

Ah.
You made a classic mistake:
-That of thinking everyone should line up against a wall which is directly
behind them.
I see people do this all the time, and it's usually a bad idea.

Far better is to have significant distance behind them, for several reasons
(background blur, no shadows, emphasis on people, etc.)

You're right...that's a tough one to fix without a lot of fiddling.

Are you sure those aren't ghosts?

IRISH GENE

>Ah.
You made a classic mistake:
-That of thinking everyone should line up against a wall which is
directly
behind them.
I see people do this all the time, and it's usually a bad idea. >

i didn't have a choice that was the best possible scenerio , i had to
be able to get everyone in the picture and be able to crop it to 16 x
20 .
there were machines behind me and they moved carts to make room for the
people .
i would have been better off to point the lights more towards the
flooor than right on the people, like i did .
> Far better is to have significant distance behind them, for several

reasons
(background blur, no shadows, emphasis on people, etc.) >
agreed

>You're right...that's a tough one to fix without a lot of fiddling. >

UGH !
any takers for a fee (free is good to , ill pay it forword )if i send
the raw files on disc ?

>Are you sure those aren't ghosts? >

lol im calling ghost busters now !

Mike Warren

IRISH GENE wrote:
> any takers for a fee (free is good to , ill pay it forword )if i send
> the raw files on disc ?

Email it to me and I'll have a play with it for fun.

-Mike
PS. Remove the obvious spam trap from my email.