Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Desparate for help to get shots off CF card

Desparate for help to get shots off CF card

David J Taylor

Ken wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote in message
> news:7vpKe.86162$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Ken wrote:
>>> It's a brand new card so I will experiment but any doubts and it
>>> goes in the bin.
>>> First time in 7 years of digital I have had a real problem.
>>> Only ever lost one shot which is a really good record.
>>> Back in film days I had the odd film lost at the labs!
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>> Ken

>> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
>>
>> David

> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
> OK or should I have done something different?
>
> Ken

No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.

Good luck,
David

Ken

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:tpqKe.86227$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Ken wrote:
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>> wrote in message
>> news:7vpKe.86162$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

>>> What size of card is it, and where did you format it?
>>>
>>> David

>> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
>> OK or should I have done something different?
>>
>> Ken

> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>
> Good luck,
> David

Think I will sling the card and get another!!

Ken

Tom

>> Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
>> using a
>> card reader?
>> --
>> Charlie...
>> http://www.chocphoto.com

> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
> via
> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
> shots over.
>
> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
> pressure
> on way down - ish.
>
> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> Ken

Just a thought that I'm sure you've already checked out. I had that problem
once and finally realized that I had set the camera to record on it's
internal memory rather than the card. So of course, there was nothing on
the card when I inserted it in my card reader.

Tom.

Jeff

"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
news:42fa3633$0$18219$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
> in message news:tpqKe.86227$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Ken wrote:
>>> "David J Taylor"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
>>> wrote in message
>>> news:7vpKe.86162$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

>>> 256 mb and formatted before first use in my camera Oly 5060. Is this
>>> OK or should I have done something different?
>>>
>>> Ken

>> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
>> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> David

> Think I will sling the card and get another!!
>
> Ken

You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you return
it under warrantee?

In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.

Good luck..

Jeff

Shawn Hirn

In article <42fa1723$0$32690$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:

> "Charlie Choc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:27:01 +0100, "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
> >
> >>Bought a new card used it today and all shots (100'ish ) are viewable on
> >>the
> >>camera 'review' mode on its LCD screen. However when I put in USB card
> >>reader it says it needs formatting. I did format the card before I used it
> >>for the first time so not sure what's going on as shots on card.
> >>
> >>I really need help urgently as I can't retake these shots and it could
> >>cost
> >>me a lot of bad will in my business.
> >>

> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct without
> > using a
> > card reader?
> > --
> > Charlie...
> > http://www.chocphoto.com

> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera via
> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
> shots over.
>
> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood pressure
> on way down - ish.
>
> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?

Ken

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in message
> news:42fa3633$0$18219$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "David J Taylor"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
>> in message news:tpqKe.86227$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

>>> No, that's just what I'd recommend. I had been wondering if it was 4GB
>>> card as that might have issues with some cameras and FAT32 formatting.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> David

>> Think I will sling the card and get another!!
>>
>> Ken
>>

> You said this was a new card, rather than throw it away why don't you
> return it under warrantee?
>
> In most cases the warrantee is at least a year.
>
> Good luck..
>
> Jeff

You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and stamp on
it - with a big hammer.

Ken

Ken

"Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <42fa1723$0$32690$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote:
>
>> "Charlie Choc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Did your camera come with a USB cable so you can download direct
>> > without
>> > using a
>> > card reader?
>> > --
>> > Charlie...
>> > http://www.chocphoto.com

>> Thanks Charlie & Marcel
>> The card reader is fine as it works with other cards.
>> Tried card reader in my spare PC but no good.
>> However thanks to your making me think more widely I plugged the camera
>> via
>> USB to my PC and it treated it like another drive and I was able to drag
>> shots over.
>>
>> Phew, Phew & Phew - I was a very worried and stressed man but blood
>> pressure
>> on way down - ish.
>>
>> But why do these darned things happen!!!!!

> Let me guess. You're using Microsoft Windows. Right?

Yes but what difference does this make?

Ken

CeeBee

"Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
> stamp on it - with a big hammer.

You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so bad
that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.

If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm
which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
on the card at all.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

Ken

"CeeBee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96AF626F237BCceebeechesterstartco@213.75.1 2.165...
> "Ken" <noone@nowhere> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>> You are right. Just the first reaction to throw it on the floor and
>> stamp on it - with a big hammer.

> You won't believe it, they did just that and a whole lot of other nasty
> things, and found out that it was nearly impossible to damage a card so
> bad
> that it wan't possible to retrieve the contents anymore.
>
> If you like some experimenting you could try a freeware app like smart
> recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm
> which is freeware by the way, and see if your PC is able to read something
> on the card at all.
>
> --
> CeeBee

Thanks for the tip and I will take a look.

Ken