Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A95 ISO info

Canon A95 ISO info

Dave Cohen

"Scott in Florida" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
>>all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
>>mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
>>Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem
>>be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want
>>50,
>>make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
>>menu if it's always 50!!
>>Dave Cohen

> Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
>
> The mystery deepens...LOL

By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
Dave Cohen

> --
>
> Scott in Florida

Scott in Florida

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Scott in Florida" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:42:55 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>It's worse than that. When not in full auto, looking back at older images,
>>>all I seem to see is 'manual mode selected', but doesn't say what manual
>>>mode, could be p or one of the scene modes etc..
>>>Another annoying feature I found out the hard way is iso auto always seem
>>>be at 50, even in poor light in non full auto mode, so if you don't want
>>>50,
>>>make sure you manually set. I don't know why the auto is shown in the iso
>>>menu if it's always 50!!
>>>Dave Cohen

>> Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
>>
>> The mystery deepens...LOL

>By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
>speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
>when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
>be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
>Dave Cohen

I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.

If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...

I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
get an Auto answer...

If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL

--

Scott in Florida

DHB

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:58:58 GMT, Scott in Florida
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>"Scott in Florida" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Dave....how could you tell it was 50 in P..Auto mode?
>>>
>>> The mystery deepens...LOL

>>By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
>>speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
>>when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
>>be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
>>Dave Cohen

>I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
>as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.
>
>If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...
>
>I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
>leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
>get an Auto answer...
>
>If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL
>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Scott in Florida

Scott in Florida,
you might be surprised @ what you can do with the
A95 when you get used to using it manually set to ISO=50. Obviously
noise in most situations will be lower "if" you are still able to get
proper exposure @ that speed. That will depend on a lot of factors
including how fast your subjects move, but for my needs with the A95
it very rarely ever leave ISO=50

ISO=50 also helps reduce the difference between indoor
pictures with flash & daylight in the background. With higher ISO the
background is often washed out, where as will ISO=50, it's closer to
the same illuminations level as a flash illuminated subject. This is
especially true for candid's of people @ fairs under the canopy of a
tent.

However, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the metadata
showed as "AUTO/ISO=xxx", well I can dream/hope. lol

Respectfully, DHB in MA

..
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Scott in Florida

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:43:34 GMT, DHB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:58:58 GMT, Scott in Florida
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:26:05 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Scott in Florida" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>By reviewing exif data. When main shooting mode is not full auto, actual iso
>>>speed is listed. Since I've nearly always forgotten to set iso manually even
>>>when I should have, I can confidently assume iso setting was full auto. I'll
>>>be more attentitive when required in future low light situtations.
>>>Dave Cohen

>>I've been reviewing a number of my shots on the A95 and if I leave ISO
>>as Auto...that is the information in EXIF data.
>>
>>If I force an ISO, then that is reported as the actual ISO...
>>
>>I shall set the ISO myself from now on. I'm sure I'll screw up and
>>leave it wrong a few times, but I'd rather know what it is set at than
>>get an Auto answer...
>>
>>If you are not doing things....you aren't screwing up.....LOL

>Scott in Florida,
> you might be surprised @ what you can do with the
>A95 when you get used to using it manually set to ISO=50. Obviously
>noise in most situations will be lower "if" you are still able to get
>proper exposure @ that speed. That will depend on a lot of factors
>including how fast your subjects move, but for my needs with the A95
>it very rarely ever leave ISO=50

I've set my A95 to 50 and am impressed with the pictures.

I don't know why I didn't do that right out of the box....but it takes
awhile to learn a new camera!

....now that we are dreaming.....I wish I could see the LCD in bright
sunlight.

> ISO=50 also helps reduce the difference between indoor
>pictures with flash & daylight in the background. With higher ISO the
>background is often washed out, where as will ISO=50, it's closer to
>the same illuminations level as a flash illuminated subject. This is
>especially true for candid's of people @ fairs under the canopy of a
>tent.
>
> However, in a perfect world, it would be nice if the metadata
>showed as "AUTO/ISO=xxx", well I can dream/hope. lol

Knowing this isn't a perfect world....lol

I suspect with a hand held meter, you could determine what the camera
does under varies lighting conditions...but to be honest....now that
I've taken on responsibility for ISO....I don't care....LOL

--

Scott in Florida