Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Control of Nikon D70s

Control of Nikon D70s

ken.strauss@sympatico.ca

Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
D70s?

I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

JohnR66

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
> control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
> control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
> D70s?
>
> I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
> the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

No because the zoom ring is manually turned by twisting the zoom ring on the
lens. The is no electronic way to do this.
John

Deedee Tee

AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
software should be technically impossible. This is also why there are
no zoom controls on the D70s body. Releasing the shutter from a laptop
connected to the camera by a USB cable is fully possible with several
programs, including Nikon's. Some software also allows you to get
essentially the same level of control that you could get by operating
the camera body manually (e.g., Nikon Capture).

On 6 Aug 2005 17:00:15 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
>control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
>control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
>D70s?
>
>I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
>the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

f8andbethere

Why did you get a SLR and not a Point&Shoot??

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
> control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
> control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
> D70s?
>
> I am aware of http://www.natemc.com/nikontriggerppc.php which emulates
> the ML-L3 remote. However it does not appear to allow control of zoom.

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:33:53 +0900, in rec.photo.digital Deedee Tee
<abuse@localhost> wrote:

>AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
>electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
>software should be technically impossible.

Actually don't all the AF-S lenses do this? My AF-S VR 70-200mm does.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Ed Ruf

On 6 Aug 2005 17:00:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
>control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
>control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
>D70s?

I believe all camera functions except zoom can be controlled with Nikon
Capture.

----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 06:54:19 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:33:53 +0900, in rec.photo.digital Deedee Tee
><abuse@localhost> wrote:
>
>>AFAIK, there are no zoom lenses for Nikon DSLRs with a built-in
>>electric motor to turn the zoom ring, so controlling the zoom from
>>software should be technically impossible.

>Actually don't all the AF-S lenses do this? My AF-S VR 70-200mm does.

Sorry, forget this nonsense. Brain swapped zoom and focus before waking up
to the first cup of coffee this am.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Hunt

says...

>On 6 Aug 2005 17:00:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)
>wrote:
>
>>Is there a product, like Snappixx for Coolpix cameras, that allows
>>control of the Nikon D70s? At a minimum I would like to be able to
>>control zoom and release the shutter. Is this even possible on the
>>D70s?

>I believe all camera functions except zoom can be controlled with Nikon
>Capture.
>
>----------
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
>See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
>http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Yes, Capture 4.x and a laptop will do most controls. As for zoom function,
best soulution would be to fit a zoom from a security camera to the D70. With
a joy-stick you could control zoom/focus of the lens, then shutter speed/
release via Capture. One could even fit a motorized pan/tilt head to the
tripod, and possibly run from the lens' joy-stick, or maybe even RC. Problem
will be getting the D70 to actually fit the lens, and then finding the
settings for what will now become a fixed-aperture lens. Sounds like a lot of
work for probably marginal results, but I'll bet it could be done.

I've stuck cine cameras on similar lenses many years ago, but then C-mount &
Arri-mount are easy to either come by, or have fabricated, plus one did not
have the electronics in the camera, or even shutter-speed to contend with. It
would probably be less expensive to just buy a good security camera, with a
DVD recorder, and do captures from the DVD produced. The stills from top-o-
the-line security cameras will blow you away, but that rig would cost some
heavy $'s, as well.

Hunt

Hunt