Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Please recommend a program to remove "gold eye" from cats

Please recommend a program to remove "gold eye" from cats

Larry

In article <rj2Je.64858$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Well...the color in the eye is what was there...the camera took what
> >> was in the scene. Red eye or gold is not so much removed as
> >> replaced. There is no program that knows how your cat's eyes look
> >> and put them in instead. You will have to take out what you don't
> >> want and paint in what you do want. Cat's eyes are very large in the
> >> dark so a black spot would be accurate but not appealing. Maybe you
> >> could take some photos of the cats with in ordinary light and paste
> >> them over the gold.
> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gene Palmiter
> >> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
> >>

> > Well, it may be that I won't be able to do what I hoped, but I have
> > seen some good results from "red eye." Here's a photo of one of my
> > cats that shows the problem (in one eye) that I was trying to
> > describe.
> > http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...8/34609798.jpg
> > MaryL

That is just the normal result of the flash being too close to the lens.

The only real cure for it is to use an add on or external flash.

Using a little $20 slave flash powered by two AAA cells, you can make the
problem go away by putting the slave to the right or left of the photographer
and putting a small piece of foil in front of the on-camera flash to deflect
the light from the cats eyes.

This will work if you can get the camera to shoot without pre-flash or anti
red-eye turned on.

If the camera wont work that way then you need a slightly more expensive
slave that can learn the flash sequence of the camera.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Allan

Photo Impact's "red eye" tool lets you sample the "red" so you can change it
to what ever colour you want.

I find this useful as sometimes the "red" is not the same in both eyes or,
if more than one person, not the same in each person.

This also works on cats - I know!

Allan

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a program to remove "gold eye" (for lack of a better
> term) from photos of my cats? It does not need to be free -- although

that
> would be nice -- but it does need to be *easy* to use. Programs that

remove
> red eye don't work -- this is not true red eye, and those programs simply
> give the eyes a grayish aspect, or somethings no change at all.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

MaryL

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> In article <rj2Je.64858$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > Well, it may be that I won't be able to do what I hoped, but I have
>> > seen some good results from "red eye." Here's a photo of one of my
>> > cats that shows the problem (in one eye) that I was trying to
>> > describe.
>> > http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...8/34609798.jpg
>> > MaryL

> That is just the normal result of the flash being too close to the lens.
>
> The only real cure for it is to use an add on or external flash.
>
> Using a little $20 slave flash powered by two AAA cells, you can make the
> problem go away by putting the slave to the right or left of the
> photographer
> and putting a small piece of foil in front of the on-camera flash to
> deflect
> the light from the cats eyes.
>
> This will work if you can get the camera to shoot without pre-flash or
> anti
> red-eye turned on.
>
> If the camera wont work that way then you need a slightly more expensive
> slave that can learn the flash sequence of the camera.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

I have a pretty good camera (Nikon 8800) and I do have a Nikon add-on flash
that I can be used. It can be tilted for bounce light or any angle, but
could not be positioned to the side. The problem is that it is a bit
cumbersome, and cats don't "wait" for the photographer to get extra add-ons.
So, I usually just grab the camera and use the built-in flash.

MaryL

MaryL

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rj2Je.64858$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> MaryL wrote:
>> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Well...the color in the eye is what was there...the camera took what
>>> was in the scene. Red eye or gold is not so much removed as
>>> replaced. There is no program that knows how your cat's eyes look
>>> and put them in instead. You will have to take out what you don't
>>> want and paint in what you do want. Cat's eyes are very large in the
>>> dark so a black spot would be accurate but not appealing. Maybe you
>>> could take some photos of the cats with in ordinary light and paste
>>> them over the gold.
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene Palmiter
>>> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
>>>

>> Well, it may be that I won't be able to do what I hoped, but I have
>> seen some good results from "red eye." Here's a photo of one of my
>> cats that shows the problem (in one eye) that I was trying to
>> describe.
>> http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...8/34609798.jpg
>> MaryL

> To me it looks a little different than the usual red eye. Does it
> always show up on the same eye? It looks like a reflection from the
> front surface of the eye rather than the back of the eye as in red eye. I
> am not sure the usual automatic red eye tools will work. It is possible
> you may be able to get good results by copying the central area of the
> right eye and pasting it on the left eye. You might also be able to
> darken and or increase contrast in just the eye area. Experiment and see
> what works.
>
> You should be receiving an invite from Epson where I have posted an
> image I tried to correct. It should show you want can be easily done.
> If you don't get the invite, it likely means I got your e-mail address
> wrong. Let me know.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan

Thanks. I got the invite, and the correction you showed is exactly what I
would like to be able to do.

MaryL

Jim Shaffer

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:47:19 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> To me it looks a little different than the usual red eye. Does it
>always show up on the same eye? It looks like a reflection from the front
>surface of the eye rather than the back of the eye as in red eye.

I think looking like a reflection from the front is an optical
illusion. As for the color, that's the color cats' eyes reflect.
Many nocturnal animals have a reflective layer behind the
light-detecting cells so that photons that don't get caught the first
time through get another chance.

Joseph Meehan

MaryL wrote:

> ..
> Thanks. I got the invite, and the correction you showed is exactly
> what I would like to be able to do.
>
> MaryL

Like I said I used Adobe Elements 3. Version 2 had the same feature and
many other photo editing programs offer like features. In Elements it is
called the clone tool. Of course that would only work where you have one
good eye to copy. However Elements and most other good editing programs
have other tools that can handle the problem with both eyes. You might
replace color or use their red eye tools.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Sheldon

"MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
newsQTIe.2937$HM1.1024@okepread03...

> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Well...the color in the eye is what was there...the camera took what was
>> in the scene. Red eye or gold is not so much removed as replaced. There
>> is no program that knows how your cat's eyes look and put them in
>> instead. You will have to take out what you don't want and paint in what
>> you do want. Cat's eyes are very large in the dark so a black spot would
>> be accurate but not appealing. Maybe you could take some photos of the
>> cats with in ordinary light and paste them over the gold.
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Gene Palmiter
>> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
>>

> Well, it may be that I won't be able to do what I hoped, but I have seen
> some good results from "red eye." Here's a photo of one of my cats that
> shows the problem (in one eye) that I was trying to describe.
> http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...8/34609798.jpg
>
> MaryL

It's a nice shot, but it looks more like glare off the eye than light
bouncing back from the retina. I'm not exactly sure what to do, but just
about any version of Photoshop or a Photoshop clone should work. You'll
have to do it manually, as you've discovered a redeye program won't work.
As others have said, you should probably take the color from the eye that
looks okay and use it to fill in the problem areas.

On the other hand, if you can get the flash just right, you can make a cat's
eyes look awesome.

MaryL

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1ycJe.65307$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> MaryL wrote:
>
>> ..
>> Thanks. I got the invite, and the correction you showed is exactly
>> what I would like to be able to do.
>>
>> MaryL

> Like I said I used Adobe Elements 3. Version 2 had the same feature
> and many other photo editing programs offer like features. In Elements it
> is called the clone tool. Of course that would only work where you have
> one good eye to copy. However Elements and most other good editing
> programs have other tools that can handle the problem with both eyes. You
> might replace color or use their red eye tools.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

I should have made my question more clear. I have never used a clone tool.
Is it a difficult procedure to learn? Can you give me any ideas? I just
received the Starter Edition of Adobe Photoshop Album. I'll see if I can do
anything similar -- or I would be willing to look into Elements if using the
clone tool is a relatively easy task. So far, I have done only the most
*basic* editing by using ThumbsPlus.

Thanks very much for your help.

MaryL

MaryL

"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MaryL" <(E-Mail Removed)-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> newsQTIe.2937$HM1.1024@okepread03...
>>
>> "Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Well...the color in the eye is what was there...the camera took what was
>>> in the scene. Red eye or gold is not so much removed as replaced. There
>>> is no program that knows how your cat's eyes look and put them in
>>> instead. You will have to take out what you don't want and paint in what
>>> you do want. Cat's eyes are very large in the dark so a black spot would
>>> be accurate but not appealing. Maybe you could take some photos of the
>>> cats with in ordinary light and paste them over the gold.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gene Palmiter
>>> (visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
>>>

>> Well, it may be that I won't be able to do what I hoped, but I have seen
>> some good results from "red eye." Here's a photo of one of my cats that
>> shows the problem (in one eye) that I was trying to describe.
>> http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320...8/34609798.jpg
>>
>> MaryL

> It's a nice shot, but it looks more like glare off the eye than light
> bouncing back from the retina. I'm not exactly sure what to do, but just
> about any version of Photoshop or a Photoshop clone should work. You'll
> have to do it manually, as you've discovered a redeye program won't work.
> As others have said, you should probably take the color from the eye that
> looks okay and use it to fill in the problem areas.
>
> On the other hand, if you can get the flash just right, you can make a
> cat's eyes look awesome.

Do you have suggestions as to how I should use the flash? I have a Nikon
8800 digital camera. I also have an external Nikon flash (SB-600
Speedlight). It can be tilted to any angle. Bounce light really won't work
because my ceilings are so high that there is nothing to bounce from (if I
understand the technique correctly), but I could tilt the head to any angle.
As long as it is attached, the built-in flash is automatically turned off,
so that is not a problem.

Thanks,
MaryL

Joseph Meehan

MaryL wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1ycJe.65307$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> MaryL wrote:
>>
>>> ..
>>> Thanks. I got the invite, and the correction you showed is exactly
>>> what I would like to be able to do.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Like I said I used Adobe Elements 3. Version 2 had the same
>> feature and many other photo editing programs offer like features. In
>> Elements it is called the clone tool. Of course that would only
>> work where you have one good eye to copy. However Elements and most
>> other good editing programs have other tools that can handle the
>> problem with both eyes. You might replace color or use their red
>> eye tools.
>> --
>> Joseph Meehan
>>
>> Dia duit
>>

> I should have made my question more clear. I have never used a clone
> tool. Is it a difficult procedure to learn? Can you give me any
> ideas? I just received the Starter Edition of Adobe Photoshop
> Album. I'll see if I can do anything similar -- or I would be
> willing to look into Elements if using the clone tool is a relatively
> easy task. So far, I have done only the most *basic* editing by
> using ThumbsPlus.
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> MaryL

I don't think Album includes the tool. You might try searching on the
word clone in the help file. Instructions will vary depending on the
specific program but I would expect Album to be close to the same IF it has
the function.

In Elements, the clone tool has several attributes you can set. I chose
a size large enough to take in the eye. Then I chose a 25%, The procedure
was to move the tool (now a circle) over the good eye and press an alt right
click (maybe shift click) to copy the eye, then move over to the other eye,
where a right click will past a 25% transparent left eye over the right,
repeat until you get the effect you want each one will make the effect
stronger. Note this only works when the eyes are very close to the same
size etc. You also have to be sure to line up the tool the same on both
eyes.

Good luck.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

my cats in heat,any saskatoon people who will let their tom visit a couple of days--for real SASKSINNER Computer Support 16 04-09-2005 06:46 AM
I write virtual cats and spiders in Java ! Brian Raab Java 0 10-06-2004 07:16 AM
OT: Cats Rowdy Yates MCSE 6 09-10-2004 01:12 PM
OT: Cats and Dogs Dragon MCSE 2 09-01-2004 03:38 PM
Add/Remove Program Glitch: Asks If I Want To To Remove Wrong Program ? Robert11 Computer Support 6 08-02-2004 09:02 PM

Advertisments