Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > digital darkroom

digital darkroom

wilt

>Dude, you need some basic physics about light and darkness.
>http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/ZAP/

I am finally enlightenend (endarkened)...the reason why Kodak and Agfa
are in such a deep problem with their businesses is that they have
filled up with DARK to the point they cannot function!

--Wilt

Tony

Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
real tight!

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
> digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
> to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
> shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
> with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
> light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
> people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
> walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
> want to do it right.
> Thanks in advance!

Wayne

In article <yeVIe.79546$(E-Mail Removed)> ,

> Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
>real tight!

We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.

goma@my-deja.com

You should wait until they shake the bugs out of those digicams. Any
day now.

George Kerby

NAW! Too much trouble. Go here
http://www.microfrontier.com/product...m10/index.html
I mean you can afford forty bucks, right?!?

On 8/5/05 4:30 PM, in article
(E-Mail Removed). com, "salgud"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
> digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
> to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
> shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
> with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
> light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
> people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
> walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
> want to do it right.
> Thanks in advance!

irwell

On 5 Aug 2005 14:30:53 -0700, "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
>digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
>to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
>shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
>with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
>light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
>people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
>walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
>want to do it right.
>Thanks in advance!

Use the fridge, clear out all the foodstuff when you are in
there, it will be OK for a few hours, replace the little bulb
with a red one. Because you will be working with digital
you will need to access your toes as well as your fingers.

Sal

Consider leaving the computer monitor dark/off, and keep the computer
turned off (LEDs casting light). Whatever you decide, don't open your
digital camera before the CF is completely filled because it will ruin
all the pictures. YW

On 5 Aug 2005 14:30:53 -0700, "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
>digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
>to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
>shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
>with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
>light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
>people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
>walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
>want to do it right.
>Thanks in advance!

Bill Funk

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:36:33 GMT, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <yeVIe.79546$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

>> Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
>>real tight!

>We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.

Aww, RATS! you beat me to it!

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Randy Berbaum

Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:36:33 GMT, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: >In article <yeVIe.79546$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
: >(E-Mail Removed) says...
: >>
: >> Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
: >>real tight!
: >
: >We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.

: Aww, RATS! you beat me to it!

How about turning the brightness down on the monitor? And if you play
with the Tone or Hue you could probably get it to display the proper
"safelight red".

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

salgud

I"m really impressed! Some great replies here! I really enjoyed reading
them.