Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital photos in film/HD - experiences?

Digital photos in film/HD - experiences?

nonkert@yahoo.co.uk

Hi,

I am planning a film/HD project that will require the use of photos. I
am thinking of using a hi-res digital camera to get the stills. It
needs to look good on a cinema screen (35mm or HD projection).

Does anyone out there have experience doing this? One key factor is
that I want to be able to begin with a still go deeper into the image
(ie with a post production "zoom").

Does a 12 megapixel still camera have a big advantage in this regard,
say compared to an 8?

Thanks.
Non Kert

wavelength

Well, yeah.

If you crop off the outside 4MP of a 12mp pic, then you still have a
8MP image.

Why do this instead of getting a good focal length lens? If you got a
70-300mm or up to 500mm lens, you have full 12MP at 300-500 mm to work
with instead.

Or you could spend $1200 on an 8mp camera, and the spend $3-4 extra
grand that the 12MP will set you back on REALLY good lenses instead.

Marvin

> Hi,
>
> I am planning a film/HD project that will require the use of photos. I
> am thinking of using a hi-res digital camera to get the stills. It
> needs to look good on a cinema screen (35mm or HD projection).
>
> Does anyone out there have experience doing this? One key factor is
> that I want to be able to begin with a still go deeper into the image
> (ie with a post production "zoom").
>
> Does a 12 megapixel still camera have a big advantage in this regard,
> say compared to an 8?
>
> Thanks.
> Non Kert

A 12 Mp camera will match the resolution of 35 mm film. You could rent one. Or you could
take 35 mm film to a photo processor to scan at high pixel count. You don't absolutely
have to buy a camera.

John A. Stovall

On 4 Aug 2005 20:15:41 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am planning a film/HD project that will require the use of photos. I
>am thinking of using a hi-res digital camera to get the stills. It
>needs to look good on a cinema screen (35mm or HD projection).
>
>Does anyone out there have experience doing this? One key factor is
>that I want to be able to begin with a still go deeper into the image
>(ie with a post production "zoom").
>
>Does a 12 megapixel still camera have a big advantage in this regard,
>say compared to an 8?

8 megapixels should work fine. Read this about the use of the Canon
1DMkII in film making.

http://www.editorsguild.com/newslett...g05_bride.html

Camera used.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Scott Norwood

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am planning a film/HD project that will require the use of photos. I
>am thinking of using a hi-res digital camera to get the stills. It
>needs to look good on a cinema screen (35mm or HD projection).

How are you going to film (or videotape) the photographs? Will
you shoot prints on an animation stand, or do you have other plans
(slides, etc.)?

Why not borrow/rent several types of cameras and have 8x10" prints
made at a good lab of the photographs you take with each type?
That way, you can figure out what level of quality you need.
Naturally, an 8x10" view camera will give better results than a
plastic Instamatic, but this may or may not matter to you.

Do you have a still photographer to take production photos for your
press kits? Why not ask his advice?

You should be able to get a quality 35mm camera and lenses for next
to nothing on Ebay.

--
Scott Norwood: (E-Mail Removed), (E-Mail Removed)
Cool Home Page: http://www.redballoon.net/

Oleg Kaizerman

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...