Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Canon Powershot use battry power when on USB lead

Does Canon Powershot use battry power when on USB lead

Ronnie

Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
Ronnie

Jim Townsend

Ronnie wrote:

> Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
> usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
> Ronnie

The camera is powered by the battery.. The voltage and current
supplied by the USB port isn't enough to run the camera.

Ronnie

Ok Jim thanks for the info.
Ronnie

wavelength

I'd suggest getting an external USB card reader. I find it much easier
to use.

David Sommers

I just checked mine and it draws only 2 mA of current at 5 VDC when
connected to a USB 2.0 port on my PC. This is probably not enough to
actually run the camera, but may power the USB interface circuitry inside. I
find that with the speed of the download of pictures with USB 2.0, I'm not
bothering with using my card reader, but instead just plug in the camera and
download using the PC control. While it's kind of cool to let the camera
control the download by pressing the bright blue button and having all the
shots be previewed full-screen as it goes, using computer controlled
download without the preview is way faster. Either way is quite fast with
USB 2.0.

Bye.

"Ronnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dctqah$5vs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just wondered when i have my canon Powershot S2 IS connected to my pc via
> usb lead does it use battry power or does the lead power the camera.
> Ronnie

Ronnie

No i was wondering about power use as i was going to try and get it
connected to a telescope Must try and find a firm the does conevertors now.
Ronnie

David Sommers

Like many digital cameras, the S2 IS has an external power jack on the
side - right next to the USB jack. You can buy a Canon or after-market power
supply for it. You could also fashion your own power pack, if you are handy
with that sort of thing.

Bye.

news:dcvktk$ohm$(E-Mail Removed)...