Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > configure modem help

configure modem help

Ste

I have a US Robotics FaxModem working in windows but fails to connect to
Cisco2621. I set aux 0 with all parameter I could find but the route
does not recognize it.

Shoud usr_sportster be the right one to choose on router? Is there any
other way I can look at it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ste

Aaron Leonard

Not clear for what application you intend to use this modem - dialout?
Dialin? Both? Character mode? PPP? Both?

Here's some links that may be useful to you:

Configuring [PPP] Dialout using a Modem on the AUX Port
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...80094579.shtml

Configuring PPP Dialin with External Modems
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk71...80093c31.shtml

Modem-Router Connection Guide
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...8009428b.shtml

As far as using the Sportster - historically it's been one of the best
consumer-grade external analog modems around, but it seems that recently
I've seen fairly frequent cases where, in dialin applications,
it tends to forget what DTE speed it wants to use, rendering it
marginally useful for that case. (If you only need it for low speed
dialin, I've found that it works to lock its DCE rate to 9600 bps then
configure its DTE speed to follow DCE speed.)

Good luck,

Aaron

---

~
~ Shoud usr_sportster be the right one to choose on router? Is there any
~ other way I can look at it?
~
~ Any help is greatly appreciated.
~
~ Ste
~

Ste

I need dial-in, but no matter what I do, the router does shake hand with
modem.

I am at dead end.

"Aaron Leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not clear for what application you intend to use this modem - dialout?
> Dialin? Both? Character mode? PPP? Both?
>
> Here's some links that may be useful to you:
>
> Configuring [PPP] Dialout using a Modem on the AUX Port
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...80094579.shtml
>
> Configuring PPP Dialin with External Modems
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk71...80093c31.shtml
>
> Modem-Router Connection Guide
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...8009428b.shtml
>
> As far as using the Sportster - historically it's been one of the best
> consumer-grade external analog modems around, but it seems that recently
> I've seen fairly frequent cases where, in dialin applications,
> it tends to forget what DTE speed it wants to use, rendering it
> marginally useful for that case. (If you only need it for low speed
> dialin, I've found that it works to lock its DCE rate to 9600 bps then
> configure its DTE speed to follow DCE speed.)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Aaron
>
> ---
>

> ~ I have a US Robotics FaxModem working in windows but fails to connect to
> ~ Cisco2621. I set aux 0 with all parameter I could find but the
> route
> ~ does not recognize it.
> ~
> ~ Shoud usr_sportster be the right one to choose on router? Is there any
> ~ other way I can look at it?
> ~
> ~ Any help is greatly appreciated.
> ~
> ~ Ste
> ~

Aaron Leonard

Can you reverse telnet to the Sportster and get an OK response to your AT?

If you dial your answer line, does it ring?

If you configure both originate and answer modems for, say, V.32, do they train?

---

~ I need dial-in, but no matter what I do, the router does shake hand with
~ modem.
~
~ I am at dead end.
~
~
~ "Aaron Leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
~ news:(E-Mail Removed)...
~ > Not clear for what application you intend to use this modem - dialout?
~ > Dialin? Both? Character mode? PPP? Both?
~ >
[...]
~ > ---
~ >
~ >
~ > ~ I have a US Robotics FaxModem working in windows but fails to connect to
~ > ~ Cisco2621. I set aux 0 with all parameter I could find but the
~ > route
~ > ~ does not recognize it.
~ > ~