Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pictures from my Denmark trip. Includes 25 panoramas

Pictures from my Denmark trip. Includes 25 panoramas

Don Wiss

The pictures from my June trip to Denmark are now on the web. I spent a
fair amount of time stitching the 25 panoramas using PTGui. Pictures were
taken in 1280 x 960 resolution and reduced for the web to VGA height. (Or
some just cropped to VGA height.) I tried to have complete captions, but
there are some gaps where I left question marks. (If anyone can answer I'd
appreciate it.) Since I did a day trip to Sweden I split those into their
own album. You can find them here:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/

Kristian

Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

>The pictures from my June trip to Denmark are now on the web. I spent a
>fair amount of time stitching the 25 panoramas using PTGui. Pictures were
>taken in 1280 x 960 resolution and reduced for the web to VGA height. (Or
>some just cropped to VGA height.) I tried to have complete captions, but
>there are some gaps where I left question marks. (If anyone can answer I'd
>appreciate it.) Since I did a day trip to Sweden I split those into their
>own album. You can find them here:
>
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Nice pics ! You could make a living out it - or maybe you do ?

You asked for comments to your question marks:

The pictures 13-16 from Den Gamle By. You might be able to identify
the houses from this map. The text is in Danish though.
http://www.dengamleby.dk/imgmap.htm

Pic 50: The church must be Brede Kirke:
(Picture database of churches in Denmark)
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/kirkeimg/v...t.asp?AmtID=12

The pics from Tønder. Who knows , maybe the local tourist office would
help you out: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Pic 106, looking east from Frelsers Kirke. You might be interested to
know that the greenish area one block up to the right side is where
the Christiania settlement is.

Kristian

Don Wiss

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:58:55 +0200, Kristian <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
>>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/

> Nice pics ! You could make a living out it - or maybe you do ?

No living out of it. I'm a programmer. As a hobby I take pictures and build
my web site, Ads on some of the health pages do pay me an income which will
come in handy when I retire.

>The pictures 13-16 from Den Gamle By. You might be able to identify
>the houses from this map. The text is in Danish though.
>http://www.dengamleby.dk/imgmap.htm

Good enough. I was able to figure out enough that no more question marks
appear there. I do remember where everything was, so no problem finding the
write up on each. Unfortunately the translation engines, like Babelfish,
don't have Danish.

>Pic 50: The church must be Brede Kirke:
>(Picture database of churches in Denmark)
>http://www.dis-danmark.dk/kirkeimg/v...t.asp?AmtID=12

Good find. For some reason all the maps of Tønder I have don't include it.
Maybe it is relatively new and nothing special?

>The pics from Tønder. Who knows , maybe the local tourist office would
>help you out: (E-Mail Removed)

I e-mailed them several days ago. Also sent to Den Gamle By and asked a
question on one picture to Helsingør tourism. All ignored me. I have found
that people universally ignore strangers that ask questions about picture
captions. In your case you are here as you expect to participate in
discussions.

>Pic 106, looking east from Frelsers Kirke. You might be interested to
>know that the greenish area one block up to the right side is where
>the Christiania settlement is.

I'm not sure just where from your description. In my trip journal I discuss
my bicycling around trying to find the Christiania settlement. I certainly
found some of it, but nothing like what I would consider a main street.
Mostly I found buildings put up in the woods.

Thanks for your help. Captions are already fixed.

Kristian

Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

>>The pictures 13-16 from Den Gamle By. You might be able to identify
>>the houses from this map. The text is in Danish though.
>>http://www.dengamleby.dk/imgmap.htm

>Good enough. I was able to figure out enough that no more question marks
>appear there. I do remember where everything was, so no problem finding the
>write up on each. Unfortunately the translation engines, like Babelfish,
>don't have Danish.

A few translations:

Apoteket: Pharmacy
Hjørnehus: simply meaning "a house at the corner"
Borgmestergården:called the Mayors Mansion - but functioned as a
grocers or trading house. This was the first house to go into "Den
Gamle By.
Toldboden: Customs house. Used as such until 1809. The ships could
sail right up to it for inspection.

>I'm not sure just where from your description. In my trip journal I discuss
>my bicycling around trying to find the Christiania settlement. I certainly
>found some of it, but nothing like what I would consider a main street.
>Mostly I found buildings put up in the woods.

You might have missed part of it then , including the notorious
Pusher Street.

>Thanks for your help. Captions are already fixed.
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Kristian

Nostrobino

Very nice work, Don.

I was especially interested in your panoramas. That's something I've been
looking forward to getting into but just haven't had the time (or suitable
scenery) for it yet.

I assume all were taken with your Nikon 8400?

Stitched with the supplied software?

Most or all at the shortest focal length?

Any of them handheld?

N.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:22:59 -0400, "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/

>Very nice work, Don.

Thanks.

>I was especially interested in your panoramas. That's something I've been
>looking forward to getting into but just haven't had the time (or suitable
>scenery) for it yet.
>
>I assume all were taken with your Nikon 8400?

Yes.

>Stitched with the supplied software?

Supplied software? Was there any? I've never installed any software
supplied with my Nikon cameras. I used PTGui, which uses PanoTools. On a
few I used Enblend for final processing. On one I used Smartblend instead
of Enblend. I started using AutoPano, but it created far more hassle than
the time saved.

The learning curve on PTGui is high. So I got some help from this mailing
list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoTools/

>Most or all at the shortest focal length?

I dunno. I used a variety of focal lengths. Probably not at the shortest,
as that would have given me too much sky. I did crop some sky from some.

>Any of them handheld?

All were hand held. I travel lightly. No checked luggage. I generally get
around on a bicycle. So I've never taken a tripod along. Hand held does
make it harder to stitch.

Don Wiss

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:22:59 -0400, "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was especially interested in your panoramas. That's something I've been
>looking forward to getting into but just haven't had the time (or suitable
>scenery) for it yet.

You can find all of my panoramas in this virtual album:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/panos/

In the early days I was not always good about using exposure lock. You
really have to always use it. And this recent batch is the first time that
I used Enblend. It could improve many of the older ones. Someday I'll go
back and redo them.

DDT Filled Mormons

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:13:50 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>The pictures from my June trip to Denmark are now on the web. I spent a
>fair amount of time stitching the 25 panoramas using PTGui. Pictures were
>taken in 1280 x 960 resolution and reduced for the web to VGA height. (Or
>some just cropped to VGA height.) I tried to have complete captions, but
>there are some gaps where I left question marks. (If anyone can answer I'd
>appreciate it.) Since I did a day trip to Sweden I split those into their
>own album. You can find them here:
>
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/

Good photos, and some interesting stuff in general on your site.

You might want to considering adding a styles file to it, and give it
a bit more of a person style touch with regards to fonts, colours and
stuff.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

David J Taylor

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:13:50 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The pictures from my June trip to Denmark are now on the web. I
>> spent a fair amount of time stitching the 25 panoramas using PTGui.
>> Pictures were taken in 1280 x 960 resolution and reduced for the web
>> to VGA height. (Or some just cropped to VGA height.) I tried to have
>> complete captions, but there are some gaps where I left question
>> marks. (If anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.) Since I did a day
>> trip to Sweden I split those into their own album. You can find them
>> here:
>>
>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Denmark-2005/
>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Sweden-2005/

Don,

Thanks for sharing that - we visit Sweden and Denmark quite a bit, so your
pictures brought back fond memories. I liked your panoramas
particularly - I don't know whether I would have the patience to process
as many! Considering how much work went into the panoramas, I was
surprised that you hadn't removed the tilt from some of the single images.
There were one or two wide-angle shots of buildings where I would have
used the perspective correction function available in Paint Shop Pro 9 to
remove the leaning-backwards effect!

By the way: "the Torvet" is wrong. Torvet = The Torv. Et Torv = A Torv.
So "the Torvet" would be translated as: "The the Torv".

Excellent, though.

Cheers,
David

Nostrobino

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:22:59 -0400, "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[ . . . ]

>>Stitched with the supplied software?

> Supplied software? Was there any?

Yep. Along with Nikon Picture Project there's ArcSoft Panorama Maker 3,
which is accessed from within Picture Project. As I haven't used it yet I
don't really know anything about it, or whether it *requires* the use of
Picture Project (which is, of course, a relatively simple, entry-level kind
of program).

> I've never installed any software
> supplied with my Nikon cameras. I used PTGui, which uses PanoTools. On a
> few I used Enblend for final processing. On one I used Smartblend instead
> of Enblend. I started using AutoPano, but it created far more hassle than
> the time saved.
>
> The learning curve on PTGui is high. So I got some help from this mailing
> list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoTools/

Thanks, I'll make a note of all that. I'll try the Nikon-supplied software
first and see how that works.

>>Most or all at the shortest focal length?

> I dunno. I used a variety of focal lengths. Probably not at the shortest,
> as that would have given me too much sky. I did crop some sky from some.
>
>>Any of them handheld?

> All were hand held. I travel lightly. No checked luggage. I generally get
> around on a bicycle. So I've never taken a tripod along. Hand held does
> make it harder to stitch.

I can imagine! Doing all that handheld makes it all the more impressive.

Again, kudos for your excellent work, especially those panoramas but the
regular photos were great too. I will go back and look at the others you've
done.

N.