Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Damage from Visible Dust wet cleaning solution

Damage from Visible Dust wet cleaning solution

DD

It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
may cause some serious damage to your camera -
http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...gital-slr.html

Be careful out there folks!

Bart van der Wolf

"DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
> may cause some serious damage to your camera -
> http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...gital-slr.html

It seems that ANY fluid could damage a sensor, Visible Dust's Sensor
clean is not unique in that sense.

Bart

Rita Berkowitz

"Bart van der Wolf" wrote...

> It seems that ANY fluid could damage a sensor, Visible Dust's Sensor
> clean is not unique in that sense.

Especially if you are squirting in there like you are hosing off your car.

Rita

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...igital-slr.htm

> Be careful out there folks!

Reading things like this sure makes me glad that I bought the Olympus E300
with the automatic supersonic wave filter dust removal system. It works,
too.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

MarkH

"DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
> may cause some serious damage to your camera -
> http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...our-digital-sl
> r.html

Except that this is only one example, maybe that sensor was faulty?

Got FUD?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)

Celcius

Mark,

Not to damp your enthusiasm, but the main thing about a camera is not "the
automatic supersonic wave filter dust removal system", but how well photos
turn out. There's the proof of the pudding.

I turned to Dpreview, not knowing about your particular model. It is rated
as "Recommended", but there seems to be a few problems related to metering
and image processing. Although, there are many good things about this
camera, the following are listed as cons:
a.. Recommended sensitivity ISO 100 - 400, images at ISO 800 usable, ISO
1600 not really
b.. Demosaic artifacts on JPEG and Olympus Master processed RAW
c.. Images not per-pixel as 'crisp' as from other D-SLR's (image
processing / low pass?)
d.. Moire artifacts can be detected in fine repeating detail
e.. Noise tends have the appearance of color mottle not 'film like' grain
f.. Metering bug sometimes left under-exposed images (isolated issue?)
g.. Auto focus provides just three focus points, although AF performance
good
h.. Viewfinder slightly darker than E-1, seems smaller than EOS 300D / 20D
i.. Over-saturated Adobe RGB images
j.. Poor continuous shooting capability, small buffer
k.. No focus distance indicator on kit lens
l.. Flash must be raised for AF assist
m.. Potential to lose images if CF door is opened during write
n.. Only USB 1.1 (no USB 2.0 Hi-Speed?)
I know that many of the above are moot points, but in my estimation, weigh
far more than the "the automatic supersonic wave filter dust removal
system".

Just my 2 cents

Marcel

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n8fIe.562$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> "DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
> > may cause some serious damage to your camera -

http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...igital-slr.htm

> > Be careful out there folks!

> Reading things like this sure makes me glad that I bought the Olympus E300
> with the automatic supersonic wave filter dust removal system. It works,
> too.
>

> --
> Take care,
>
> Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
>
> VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
> Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
> Business sites at:
> www.dv-clips.com
> www.mwcomms.com
> www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
> -

Bill Hilton

>> Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote ...
>>
>>glad that I bought the Olympus E300 with the automatic
>>supersonic wave filter dust removal system.

> Marcel replied ...
>
> there seems to be a few problems (with the E300) ... (snip list from a - n)

Should also mention that the Oly imaging division lost 24 billion yen
last quarter (the rest of the company made 12 billion yen ... hmmm) and
4/3 has not exactly set the world on fire when compared to Canon and
Nikon sales, so there is a reasonable doubt as to whether or not this
format will survive. For sure it won't survive many more quarters with
losses in the billions of yen range.

It's a nice little camera but there's a real question as to whether or
not it's a dead end, given the slow sales, handicap of the small
sensor, and lack of support from other makers (it's an open standard,
any one can make lenses and bodies for the system without paying
royalties, yet no one else has taken the leap of faith yet).

Bill

l e o

MarkH wrote:
> "DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>

>>It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
>>may cause some serious damage to your camera -
>>http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...our-digital-sl
>>r.html

> Except that this is only one example, maybe that sensor was faulty?
>
> Got FUD?

SO is the filter completely sealed with the sensor? That is what I would
think but what is the FACT?

MarkH

l e o <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QlsIe.1294$RS.510
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> MarkH wrote:
>> "DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>>

>>>It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
>>>may cause some serious damage to your camera -
>>>http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...our-digital-sl
>>>r.html

>> Except that this is only one example, maybe that sensor was faulty?
>>
>> Got FUD?

> SO is the filter completely sealed with the sensor? That is what I would
> think but what is the FACT?

Yes, I am curious about that too. I certainly wouldn't conclude anything
from the experience of one isolated blogger. My own experience is nil, I
have only had my D-SLR for 2 years and have not yet had a need to use any
wet cleaning methods. In fact dust on the sensor has not really been an
issue to me, regardless of whether there is any on the sensor I have not
noticed any spots on the pictures I take. Maybe I'll check and give it a
blast with my rocket blower.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)
understand binary and those that don't"

Sheldon

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n8fIe.562$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> "DD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> It seems that Visible Dust's Sensor Clean solution for cleaning CCDs
>> may cause some serious damage to your camera -
>>

> http://dazza101.blogspot.com/2005/07...igital-slr.htm
>>

>> Be careful out there folks!

> Reading things like this sure makes me glad that I bought the Olympus E300
> with the automatic supersonic wave filter dust removal system. It works,
> too.
>

> --
> Take care,
>
> Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

I've been using Pec Pads and Eclipse solution wrapped around a wand. I only
use about three drops of solution, not enough to seep into anything, and
have never followed up the procedure with a dry pad. Works like charm. I
would think it would take quite a bit of solution to seem under the filter.
Never had much luck with other methods, except a hand blower that I always
use first.