Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson printer heads clogged.

Epson printer heads clogged.

Paul Furman

I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
try something like that.

frederick

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Look for Arthur Entlich posts in comp.periphs.printers.
Send him an email, and he'll return a manual on unclogging printers.
Windolene is apparently used, the method I don't know.

Derek Fountain

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Google for "clean epson print heads windex". Windex is an excellent
solvent for Epson ink (and others, so I'm told), so you basically drip a
couple of drops onto the spongy thing where the print heads park
themselves, then switch the printer off overnight. The heads park, the
Windex soaks into the head and a regular clean with the utility in the
morning normally fixes the problem.

I had exactly the same situation - I didn't use my Epson printer from
one week to the next and had to do the above just about every time I
used it. It also consumed colour ink when it was doing nothing but
printing in black. I once bought a brand new colour cartridge because it
was complaining it was empty and refusing to print even in black. Over
the next couple of weeks I printed nothing but black, but since a bit of
colour ink is wasted each time you switch the thing on, the colour
cartridge slowly drained away. When it told me it wanted another colour
cartridge, and I realised I'd not printed a single colour page, I
chucked the damn thing out. Those cartridges cost serious money.

It's part of Epson's plan to screw money from their customers with
expensive cartridges, and having been burnt by it, I will never buy
another Epson product. Never.

Bernard Rother

Paul Furman wrote:

> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Hi Paul, don't know if this will apply to you but my kids old Epson
Stylus Color 600 lay dormant for months. Yesterday she wanted to print
something for school and the heads just moved up & down the paper
without delivering any ink. I got some narrow diameter tubing +/- 3mm
and sucked up some isopropyl alcohol. ( tastes vile by the way !! )
Placed the pipe in turn over the little thingies that were projecting
upwards ( the part that goes into the ink cartridge ) and blew alcohol
into each of the 4 nozzels. The alcohol went through ok but left a mess
of ink on the plastic liner which I wiped up. Put the cartridges back
and after a cleaning cycle or two to purge the alcolhol the printer was
back on line.
Good luck.
Bernard

Bernard Rother

Bernard Rother wrote:

> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
>> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just
>> gunked over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech
>> support & they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads
>> with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people
>> doing). I'm not even sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it
>> possible? I've never been very happy with the printer & it was not
>> very expensive so willing to try something like that.

> Hi Paul, don't know if this will apply to you but my kids old Epson
> Stylus Color 600 lay dormant for months. Yesterday she wanted to print
> something for school and the heads just moved up & down the paper
> without delivering any ink. I got some narrow diameter tubing +/- 3mm
> and sucked up some isopropyl alcohol. ( tastes vile by the way !! )
> Placed the pipe in turn over the little thingies that were projecting
> upwards ( the part that goes into the ink cartridge ) and blew alcohol
> into each of the 4 nozzels. The alcohol went through ok but left a mess
> of ink on the plastic liner which I wiped up. Put the cartridges back
> and after a cleaning cycle or two to purge the alcolhol the printer was
> back on line.
> Good luck.
> Bernard

After reading Derek's reply I might also add that we no longer use Epson
ink. The new cartridge I installed was by Inktek ..... Maybe a South
African product, not sure.
The one that gummed up the Epson in the first place was Epson Ink.

I'm still looking for compatible inks for my Canon S9000. Beautiful
printer but expensive to run. Usually take my CF card to a bureau and
have them printed there whenever I need hard copies.
Bernard.

piperut

Paul Furman wrote:
> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just gunked
> over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech support &
> they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads with a q-tip &
> rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people doing). I'm not even
> sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it possible? I've never been
> very happy with the printer & it was not very expensive so willing to
> try something like that.

Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
windex.
Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for the
cleaning instructions.

You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
under printers. That sometimes works.

Also, someone has mentioned filling an old ink cartrige with the
cleaning solution and running it through a few print cycles. I have
never tried this one. (I don't know about doing this?)

roland

Paul Furman

Thanks guys.

Joseph Meehan

piperut wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> I've got a few years old Epson C80 with black and magenta outputting
>> zero ink. I don't use it for weeks sometimes so I figure it just
>> gunked over. I doubt it's worth taking in for service, I called tech
>> support & they said it would not be wise to try to clean the heads
>> with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol (something I seem to recall people
>> doing). I'm not even sure How I could get in there to clean. Is it
>> possible? I've never been very happy with the printer & it was not
>> very expensive so willing to try something like that.

> Actually the recommended solution is 1/2 rubbing achohol and 1/2
> windex.
> Someone else in this thread posted a response on who to send to for
> the cleaning instructions.
>
> You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel,
> under printers. That sometimes works.

I find it usually works if you run it once, let everything sit for
several hours and run it again. Some times a third try is needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

BD

I agree about being screwed on the cartridges - this is why I will keep
my Epson 777 alive as long as I possibly can - I have a source for
cartridges at $5 apiece - color or black. Good ink, too - doesn't clog
up nearly as much as the refill crap does. I can spend $30 and have
enough ink for half a year.

Paul Furman

piperut wrote:

> You can also use the cleaning utility in the windows control panel

Epson phone tech suggested doing that and running it three times without
clicking finish to engage the deep cleaning mode then wait 24 hrs & try
again. Very minor improvement.