Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Greetings

Greetings

ASAAR

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:19:02 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

> There are two cameras in the P series being released - the P850 and P880.
> The 880 has the 8 meg sensor with a 5.8 optical zoom and a 2.5 inch screen.
> Also the P850 has a 5 meg sensor with a 12 X zoom and IS. They are both on
> display at the Kodak web site
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/p850 or 880

www.kodak.com seems to be having difficulties. Whether I use the
links you provided, or try to search for other known Kodak cameras,
I get an error message stating:

> Sorry, the page you were trying to access,
>
> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml
>
> does not exist.

While the Kodak website seems to be working, when I click on the
link that's supposed to allow me to select a particular (consumer)
digital camera, or open that link in a new page, it takes me back to
the same "Products and Services" web page. The links you provided
resolved to these addresses, but they eventually produced identical
error messages, as shown above:

> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...l?pq-path=7391
>
> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...l?pq-path=7373

I did find descriptions and Kodak's press release at dpreview.com,
but there's a mistake in the copy for the P850, probably because the
tech. writer Kodak used isn't a photographer. It said:

> Optical image stabilization, combined with the advanced, hybrid AF
> system (25 selectable points), provides a 2-stop advantage over
> non-Image Stabilized systems for better capturing subjects in low light
> for both still and video. For instance, if a particular scene called for
> at least a 1/500 shutter speed to “stop” the action under normal
> circumstances, the EASYSHARE P850 could deliver the same effect
> with a much slower 1/125 shutter speed, resulting in a bright yet
> crisp image. It also minimizes handheld camera shake at longer
> focal lengths, which is critical when not using a tripod — a scenario
> found on the sidelines of sporting events, on scenic hiking trails, and
> during everyday spontaneous picture-taking when carrying a stabilizing
> device is impractical.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...k_p880p850.asp

Yes, the 1/125 shutter speed could be used, but the P850's IS
would only help reduce camera movement. If a 1/500 second shutter
speed was needed to "stop" the action, it would still be needed,
whether IS was or wasn't used. When people talk about "stopping the
action", they've always been referring to stopping subject motion,
not movement of the hands that hold the camera.

The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
implied by the press release.

David J Taylor

ASAAR wrote:
[]
> The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
> hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
> nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
> implied by the press release.

However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 40 in.
(75 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
can stop subject motion, who knows?

Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

David

ASAAR

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:17:58 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

>> The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
>> hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
>> nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
>> implied by the press release.

> However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
> sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
> wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

You won't see *moi* buying any camera without first reading
reviews, and later checking sample images, if warranted. The P880
won't be available for at least another month, and I won't be
surprised if the first reviews show up early next year.

> I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 40 in.
> (75 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
> can stop subject motion, who knows?
>
> Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

I've no way to know, but assume that if *any* of Kodak's current
linup offers low compression, the P-series also will. Even though I
have no way of knowing, it would seem that more care went into the
design of these cameras, so until I see the reviews I'll play the
optimist. I'd like to see it compared against the Fuji S9000 and
whatever Olympus offers as a C-8080 replacement, if they manage to
get one out before next summer. It would be nice if one of these
has a usable manual focus.

Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:17:58 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
>
>>> The P880's wide (24mm on the wide end) zoom, large LCD display,
>>> hot shoe and manual zoom and focusing rings should make for a very
>>> nice camera, especially if the focusing is fast and accurate, as
>>> implied by the press release.

>> However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
>> sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
>> wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

> You won't see *moi* buying any camera without first reading
> reviews, and later checking sample images, if warranted. The P880
> won't be available for at least another month, and I won't be
> surprised if the first reviews show up early next year.
>

>> I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 40 in.
>> (75 100 cm)", although considering that they think image stabilsiation
>> can stop subject motion, who knows?
>>
>> Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

> I've no way to know, but assume that if *any* of Kodak's current
> linup offers low compression, the P-series also will. Even though I
> have no way of knowing, it would seem that more care went into the
> design of these cameras, so until I see the reviews I'll play the
> optimist. I'd like to see it compared against the Fuji S9000 and
> whatever Olympus offers as a C-8080 replacement, if they manage to
> get one out before next summer. It would be nice if one of these
> has a usable manual focus.

I second your statements about checking reviews, specs., and also insist
on handling the camera in a store to see if it 'fits'. The opinions
expressed by the reviews are always biased, but the pictures speak for
themselves, and the specs can be valuable for comparison (although one
shouldn't always take them as 'truth').

As for a 'useable manual focus', don't get your hopes up.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

ASAAR

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:43:12 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

> I second your statements about checking reviews, specs., and also insist
> on handling the camera in a store to see if it 'fits'. The opinions
> expressed by the reviews are always biased, but the pictures speak for
> themselves, and the specs can be valuable for comparison (although one
> shouldn't always take them as 'truth').

The 'in-store handling' really is more important the most people
realize, and this is where a good camera store has a tremendous
advantage over the large chains (Circuit City, Comp-USA, etc.),
since you can take your time trying out cameras that actually have
charged batteries and memory cards installed. But to be really
useful, you should already have owned or used a digital camera,
since that will give you some reference points. A newbie might
never have heard of shutter lag and not think to check it out, or
might be told that two cameras have similar features, but miss that
one is much, much slower to operate since it has few external
controls and requires much dipping into menus.

> As for a 'useable manual focus', don't get your hopes up.

From owning and using a number of film rangefinders and SLRs I at
least know what the goal is. I still don't know if my next
camera (which I'd like to think is a year or two away) will be a
nice P&S, or a DSLR that'll give my old Nikon lenses a workout.

Ronald Baird

Hi Ron,

I agree that a review and hands on is the way to go. I think you will find
the camera pretty good. I have tested the manual focus which does work. It
gives you a screen in the middle of the LCD that shows the result of your
manual focusing. Screen in screen. It does the job. Files are JPEG/EXIF v
2.21, RAW, and TIFF. I liked it for the short time I had time to review. The
resulting files are amazing.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> ASAAR wrote:

> >> However, I would check the noise from this particular 8MP camera (no
> >> sensor size given in the specifications) and the distortion in the
> >> wide-angle zoom setting before considering purchase.

> > You won't see *moi* buying any camera without first reading
> > reviews, and later checking sample images, if warranted. The P880
> > won't be available for at least another month, and I won't be
> > surprised if the first reviews show up early next year.
> >

> >> I am surprised by the claim: "8.0 MP sensor for prints up to 30 40

in.
> >> (75 100 cm)", although considering that they think image

stabilsiation
> >> can stop subject motion, who knows?
> >>
> >> Have they fixed the apparently awful JPEG quality of earlier cameras?

Ronald Baird

Hi ASAAR,

Sorry to hear about your access trouble.

I have tested the pages and the go links to be sure they are working and
found them to be OK. Are you in the US and how do you access the web. I
would like to be sure that things are OK for you. Let me know if a retry of
the pages works for you.

http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:31:03 -0400, Ronald Baird wrote:

> I have tested the pages and the go links to be sure they are working and
> found them to be OK. Are you in the US and how do you access the web. I
> would like to be sure that things are OK for you. Let me know if a retry of
> the pages works for you.
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/p850

I'm in the US and was finally able to access the links yesterday.
Around the time of the problem, my ISP was having what appeared to
be minor difficulties with some of its nodes (modem) operating a
little below half speed. I'm not sure how this could have caused
difficulties with Kodak's website though, since some of its pages
loaded with no problem but others couldn't (nor would searches
work), and I had no difficulties with any non-Kodak websites.

There was a good bit of information on the P880 Specifications
Page, but a few questions remained. One person raised a point that
has concerned a number of people - that Kodak tends to more highly
compress JPGs than other camera manufacturers. The spec's show:

> Picture quality
> 8.0 MP (3264 × 2448 pixels)
> 7.1 MP (3264 × 2176), 3:2 print mode
> 5.0 MP (2560 × 1920)
> 3.1 MP (2048 × 1536)
> 0.8 MP (1024 × 76

but don't show whether any of these (especially the higher quality
settings) are provided with a choice of 2 or 3 compression ratios,
as some other cameras do.

> Time lapse burst mode
> user-selectable time lapse (10 sec-24 intervals, 2–99 images)

I think the "2-99 images" is clear, but what does "10 sec-24
intervals" mean? Maybe the interval can be selected from a choice
of 24, and the shortest of those is 10 seconds? I hope it doesn't
mean that the interval range has a limit of from 10 to 24 seconds.

OT: Greetings from the Chocolate City kpg MCSE 17 01-19-2006 08:26 PM
Greetings Network Guru MCSE 33 01-10-2006 05:15 PM
Greetings !!! chinedu Nwankwo MCSD 4 08-10-2004 03:39 PM
Greetings Helen Ramsay Computer Support 8 12-24-2003 11:15 AM
Greetings And Salutation Charles Computer Support 5 09-01-2003 01:20 AM

Advertisments