Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > When is Canon EOS 30D available?

When is Canon EOS 30D available?

Proteus

Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample photos
from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
on the web (like yahoo shopping).

Eric Gill

Proteus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:AfsFe.32257$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available?

No one who is going to tell you anything will even be able to confirm if
Canon is going to use that name or not.

> I have seen sample
> photos from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout
> out noise reduction software), but I can not find it available for
> purchase anywhere on the web (like yahoo shopping).

Sure those weren't from the D30?

Proteus

Eric Gill wrote:

> Sure those weren't from the D30?

oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

Jim Townsend

Proteus wrote:

> Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample photos
> from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
> reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
> on the web (like yahoo shopping).

Looking back to the D30, Canon's consumer DSLR model releases have
been spaced at roughly 16 month intervals.

EOS D30 May 2000
EOS D60 Feb 2002 17 months

EOS 10D Feb 2003
EOS 20D Aug 2004 18 months

EOS 300D Aug 2003
EOS 350D Feb 2005 14 months

The 20D was announced August 2004, so if there is a 30D,
extrapolation of the data above would indicate that it
should be announced approximately 16 months later which is
January 2006..

Given that the major camera manufactureres almost always
announce new models at the spring PMA camera exhibition
in February, we can logically expect the 30d to be
announced at the February 2006 PMA show.

Note that except for the D30, all the above models have
been announced in Feb and Aug.

John A. Stovall

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Eric Gill wrote:
>
>..
>>
>> Sure those weren't from the D30?

>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
>similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
"30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
crop sensor.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

SimonLW

"Proteus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AfsFe.32257$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample

photos
> from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
> reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
> on the web (like yahoo shopping).

None that I know of. The 20D will run for a year or two longer (probably).

If you confused it with the D30, it was released 5 years ago and was
discontinued a couple years after that.
-S

Darrell

"Proteus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AfsFe.32257$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody know when Canon EOS 30D will be available? I have seen sample
> photos
> from it on webpages recently (like today when I was checkout out noise
> reduction software), but I can not find it available for purchase anywhere
> on the web (like yahoo shopping).

NEVER!!! There was a Canon D30 in 2000, I doubt Canon will use a similar
name. Next model will likely be 40D, but they still haven't perfected the
20D yet..

Darrell

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Eric Gill wrote:
>>
>>..
>>>
>>> Sure those weren't from the D30?

>>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
>>similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

> Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
> "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
> crop sensor.

Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make a
bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

Eric Gill

Proteus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:U1tFe.19258$(E-Mail Removed):

> Eric Gill wrote:
>
> ..
>>
>> Sure those weren't from the D30?

> oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie confusing
> similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

Probably had a lucid moment and realized Nikon was naming their cameras
similarly (D100, D50, D70) and it was just a matter of time before name
collision.

They should have chosen something with a little more difference, I agree.
At least we're not like the poor Pentax users, wondering how to pronounce
the name.

Eric Gill

"Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:54:43 -0500, Proteus <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Eric Gill wrote:
>>>
>>>..

>>>oops could have been. why would anybody make a D30 and a 30D ie
>>>confusing similar names-- frustrates and confounds idiots like me.

>> Because Canon has said that will be the name. At this point, the
>> "30D" is pure speculation as to the name or even if it will be a 1.6
>> crop sensor.
>>

> Don't worry it will be an APS-C sensor. It is unlikely Canon will make
> a bigger sensor, as they are introducing more EF-S lenses.

Yep. Last I checked, Canon really like the three-tiered system (1.6, 1.3,
and Full Frame bodies) from a marketing standpoint, and their success seems
to be bearing the idea out.