Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for a portable Optical marvel (I might be an optimist)

Looking for a portable Optical marvel (I might be an optimist)

Geir Eivind Mork

I eventually will purchase a digital slr.

I'm got too much minolta equipment to change brands, and I do too much
enlargements to live with 6.1mpixels, and I have too much to use my
money on that i exchange cameras often. So I'll await a replacement for
the Minolta Dynax 7D or a higher end model before i do a purchase. (and
who knows what sony does since they've signed up to use the minolta
bajonette.)

But even then i do need a compact digital camera that i always can take
with me. Now i could wait for a century to see the cellphone cameras
mature - but I'll rather take my chance with an existing or very soon
forthcoming small compact camera.

I really like aperature priority, or full manual - but what I require is
great optics with little or no disortion. Zoom range doesn't matter, as
long as it goes far down on the wide end and at least goes to 50mm to
85mm in 35mm speak.

So, does a pocket size, aperature priority / manual camera with great
optics exisit? Or atleast something close?

Darrell

"Geir Eivind Mork" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.block.com> wrote in message
news:42e630aa$0$18643$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I eventually will purchase a digital slr.
>
> I'm got too much minolta equipment to change brands, and I do too much
> enlargements to live with 6.1 mpixels, and I have too much to use my money
> on that i exchange cameras often. So I'll await a replacement for the
> Minolta Dynax 7D or a higher end model before i do a purchase. (and who
> knows what sony does since they've signed up to use the minolta
> bajonette.)

How big an enlargement do you do? As I see 11x14 and 16x20" prints on a
regular basis.

Geir Eivind Mork

Darrell wrote:

>>on that i exchange cameras often. So I'll await a replacement for the
>>Minolta Dynax 7D or a higher end model before i do a purchase. (and who
>>knows what sony does since they've signed up to use the minolta
>>bajonette.)

> How big an enlargement do you do? As I see 11x14 and 16x20" prints on a
> regular basis.

That's the area I'm looking for, depends.

I want to have a slr digital camera that can outrival Fuji Velvia, and a
6.1 mpixel truly rivals iso 100-200 films, but i decided to go where the
details match (although the digital have way much more clarity) around
8-11. So there will be my purchase of a slr. call it silly, stuipid or
dumb - Just the limit i set myself for that particular investment years
ago.

If i had the money to upgrade in a year i would buy a 7d right away. But
i rather save up for a 17-35mm g/3.5 lense to go with it as well.

It's just a matter of my personal economy and determination to 'get the
best', not any disrespect to the wonderful photograhical machine the 7d
is. if i had the money, i would have bought it right away - but i save
those for a later investment.

but i still will have both a small compact with the slr, which was my
intial question.