Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji s602z problem

Fuji s602z problem

Old Bugger

Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is a fuse inside?

I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not working. He muttered something about
inserting a CF card not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

ASAAR

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:09:22 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
> a fuse inside?

No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
a day.

> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
(mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
you know what condition they're in?

It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
they returned it?

pjp

And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he messing
with it in the first place.

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:09:22 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
> > a fuse inside?

> No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
> it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
> a day.
>
> > I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
> > working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being

easy,
> > so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

> Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
> (mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
> try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
> it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
> you know what condition they're in?
>
> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
> camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
> they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
> they returned it?

Old Bugger

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:13:06 -0400, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there is
>> a fuse inside?

> No fuses. Is the camera totally dead or is it malfunctioning? If
>it has a removeable battery, remove it for several hours, maybe even
>a day.

It is totally dead. I've had the batteries out of it overnight and it is still dead.

>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back not
>> working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card not being easy,
>> so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front or not straight.

> Did you not check the CF card? Is it still in the camera as
>(mis)inserted by your so-called friend? If you remove the card and
>try to turn on the camera, do you get a "card error" display or is
>it totally dead. What kind of batteries does the Fuji 602 use? Do
>you know what condition they're in?

I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
>camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
>they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
>they returned it?

He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either the repair or new camera.

Old Bugger

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:35:19 GMT, "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

>And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he messing
>with it in the first place.

I think he removed the card to transfer images to his computer.

ASAAR

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:35:19 GMT, pjp squeaked:

> And presumably as it had a card already in it, why the **** was he
> messing with it in the first place.

That might be worth following up, but it may simply be that the
friend took the card out to place it in a card reader. While it
doesn't look very good from the information provided so far, the
camera's problems may have nothing to do with the CF card.

ASAAR

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:09:13 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

> I've removed both of the memory cards (the 602 takes SM and
> CF/microdrive). It is still dead. The 602 uses
> AA's. I've tried a couple of fully charged sets.

Doesn't sound good. Take a flashlight and peer down into the CF
socket. You should be able to see all of the pins and whether they
are all straight or if any are bent, or if any odd object was mashed
into them.

>> It seems like there's a good chance that your friend broke your
>>camera. Where you come from, if a friend breaks your camera, do
>>they repair or replace it, or claim that it was working fine when
>>they returned it?

> He won't be my friend for much longer if he doesn't cough up for either
> the repair or new camera.

Repairs are usually not cost justified and as I've found out,
cameras depreciate rapidly. My old Canon PowerShot is probably
worth 20% of its initial price. But the s602z wasn't a cheap P&S.
If your friend is willing to pay what the cost of repair comes to, I
think you'd be better off applying it to either the Fuji S7000
(which may be the most similar camera currently available) or to
some other camera.

Philip Davies

"ASAAR" <

You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
and see if it works.
however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
could not find one.602 would be the same.

Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

Mike

"Philip Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KW3Fe.2640$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ASAAR" <
>
> You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
> and see if it works.
> however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
> could not find one.602 would be the same.
>
> Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

Oh I like that idea - help all the other dishonest maggots push up the cost
of insurance premiums for the rest of us. Good one. Sure, I'll help pay for
the camera buddy.

pjp

"Philip Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KW3Fe.2640$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ASAAR" <
>
> You have two slots that can be used then put a micro drive into that slot
> and see if it works.
> however having had a 609 and 7000 both would come on and say no card if it
> could not find one.602 would be the same.
>
> Option drop it down stairs and claim on your household insurance

I suspect problem stemmed from something like that rather than "friends"
excuse about inserting a card, e.g. forgot to mention he dropped it in lake
as he was inserting card