Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why can't a non-SLR have equivalent quality?

Why can't a non-SLR have equivalent quality?

Michael Meissner

> Chris Brown wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
> > Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >Chris Brown <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> writes:

> <snip>
> > >I often shot events (renaissance faires), and I usually want to do a wide angle
> > >shot of the stage/audience, and then zoom in for a close up on the performer.
> > >I find my superzoom (Olympus C-2100UZ that gives the equivalent of 38-380mm
> > >range) more useful in that situation than my E-1 where I would have to keep
> > >switching lenses.

> > Then you're using the right tool for the job. My objection to dj_nme's
> > argument is that he seems to think it's the *only* tool that should be

> Dead wrong.
> All I am saying is that if both cameras are going to be compared, then
> both cameras should be equally equipped _and_then_ compared.

Once you get to multiple cameras, then it is a matter of choosing the right
camera for the job. Sometimes my camera of choice is the Olympus C-2100UZ (2
megapixel, equivalent to a 38-380mm field of view) because it is a relatively
small self contained package that gives me a good zoom level, and good pictures
up to 8x10" (as I mentioned in my original article). Sometimes I choose the
E-1 (5 megapixel, a variety of lenses from 28mm to 600mm field of view), and I
tend to choose the lenses based on what I expect to shoot and the weather
conditions. Other times, I choose the 4 megapixel Olympus D-40Z, which fits in
a pocket.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Scotius

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:28:24 -0500, Prime <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've been waiting and wondering when we will see this.
>
>I'm personally tired of carrying big cameras. I've got a great point and
>shoot 7mp. I would like some more lens flexibility but don't want to be
>burdened down by a SLR. I used a film SLR but found the size differential
>of a good point and shoot (for me) was too valuable to ignore.

I used to exclusively use a Sony Cybershot at 7.1 megapixels,
and for a lot of shots that show up on only the computer screen, you
can't see a lot of difference, provided they're shot in bright light,
etc.
However, you have to take photos in RAW format or another one
that shows many colours for print work. You may not notice the
difference on screen, but you would in print. I know that because I
printed some JPEGs for some creative projects I did in an advertising
course that covered creative as well as marketing and media, and the
difference is apparent.
Other than that, the optics of the small lenses can't match
the performance of the lenses you'd use on DSLRs. Point and shoots are
great within their limits though, but remember they have a lot more
limits than the DSLRs.
I'm now using a Nikon D3000 DSLR, and I can tell you that even
on screen the difference is more than easily apparent in terms of
resolution of farther objects, etc, even though the zoom is roughly
equal.

>For example, I really like the Panasonic FZ5 - Leica lens, very small, 12x
>optical+ stabilized zoom. I almost bought the camera. Yet when I look at
>sample photos the 5mp sensor has noticable noise, even compared to my Sony
>DSC-P200.
>
>When and why don't we see a 6-8mp prosumer camera with an image sensor
>equivalent to one in a digital SLR? I would expect a major market for such
>a camera. Perhaps bigger than the smaller point and shoot cameras, but
>still a lot smaller than SLRs. And you wouldn't worry about dust on the
>sensor!

John Turco

Savageduck wrote:

> On 2010-07-11 22:56:03 -0700, Scotius <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:28:24 -0500, Prime <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> < A whole bunch of old stuff snipped>
>
> Have you noticed you are responding to threads which have been dead for
> almost five (5) years?

Much has changed, since 2005. Then, I only owned 3 digicams...and my
best one (Kodak DX3900) was a mere 3.1 megapixels and had a measly 2x
optical zoom lens.

Now, I have 13 of them (including 3 "super zoom" models and a DSLR).

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>