Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice re Purchase.

Advice re Purchase.

Peter Coddington

Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
Digital Camera.
A mine field ?
I want to spend under 100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
Peter,

Tony Hwang

Peter Coddington wrote:
> Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
> Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
> As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
> Digital Camera.
> A mine field ?
> I want to spend under �100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
> 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
> I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
> suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
> Peter,

Hi,
First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
Tony

Jerome Bigge

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:06:16 GMT, Tony Hwang <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter Coddington wrote:
>> Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
>> Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
>> As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
>> Digital Camera.
>> A mine field ?
>> I want to spend under ?100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
>> 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
>> I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
>> suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
>> Peter,
>>

>Hi,
>First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
>Tony

I'm running a Compaq 2286 with Windows 98 and am using a USB
card reader. Also have an old HP external CD-R connected to it.
You do have to have the necessary USB drivers, however.

Jerome Bigge
Photographer and Astronomer
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

no.canned.pork

"Peter Coddington" <peter@jpcod.(NOspam)freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of
> a Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.) As a 70 years old (+)
> Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a Digital Camera. A mine
> field ? I want to spend under 100 , On a digital camera compatible with
> my 'Windows 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
> I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
> suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.? Peter,

I am a 68 year young. I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Now
my OM1n and OM20 are history - museum pieces. And so are D&P and selective
enlargement charges. Not to mention cupboards full of prints in ragged
boxes.

I have taken more pictures in the last three months than the last three
years. And the brightness of an electronic viewfinder is a revelation.
However, there is an anomaly. Mistakes cost nothing, but there are far fewer
of them.

Go for it! But you really ought to budget for more than 100GBP.

--
T Ritchie (Sr)

Peter Coddington

"Tony Hwang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Peter Coddington wrote:
> > Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase

of a
> > Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
> > As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
> > Digital Camera.
> > A mine field ?
> > I want to spend under ?100 , On a digital camera compatible with my

'Windows
> > 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
> > I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or

any
> > suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
> > Peter,
> >

> Hi,
> First of all, W98 or W98SE? W98 can't handle USB or Fire wire.
> Tony

HI.
Windows 98
Peter.

hfs2@yahoo.com

Ebay. Just got 3mp Fujifilm 3800 for $50 (with shipping!). Get used.
Save the rest for an extra few rounds of golf.

Peter Coddington (NOspam) wrote:
> Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
> Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
> As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
> Digital Camera.
> A mine field ?
> I want to spend under 100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
> 98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
> I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
> suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
> Peter,

Hunt

In article <dbulba$47f$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)amfreeserve.
co.uk says...

>Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of a
>Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
>As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
>Digital Camera.
>A mine field ?
>I want to spend under 100 , On a digital camera compatible with my 'Windows
>98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
>I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or any
>suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
>Peter,

Peter,

Start with a long look at some of the photo gear review sites. I use www.
dpreview.com. You can even structure it to do side-by-side comparisons for
cameras that you are considering. They obviously give you a bunch of tech
data, but much will be common to film photography. Most of the rest, is
detailed on the site, but you may have to use the site as a glossary for some.

As some have said, older MS9x OSs have problem with USB. OTOH, I just picked
up a USB2/Firewire DVD-DL burner, that came with drivers for USB on older MS
OSs. Don't know how far back they will work, but I'll bet there are some
drivers out there - or just plan on upgrading the OS. However, each new
iteration seems to want more hardware to support it. That said, PC hardware is
very, very cheap. First you'll want a CD/DVD burner, then larger, faster HDDs,
and probably 1GB+ RAM, then a bigger monitor... it never ends and photo files
are large!

Hunt

Peter Coddington

"Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <dbulba$47f$(E-Mail Removed)>,

(E-Mail Removed)amfreeserve.
> co.uk says...
> >
> >Wonder if I am on the correct Newsgroup page to ask about the purchase of

> >Digital Camera.? (I have just found the Page.)
> >As a 70 years old (+) Using a 35 mm Camera I am considering purchasing a
> >Digital Camera.
> >A mine field ?
> >I want to spend under 100 , On a digital camera compatible with my

'Windows
> >98' where I can perhaps download and send pictures via email.
> >I was thinking about an Olympus C370. Any views on this one please or

any
> >suggestions on a reasonable easy to use Digital Camera.?
> >Peter,

> Peter,
>
> Start with a long look at some of the photo gear review sites. I use www.
> dpreview.com. You can even structure it to do side-by-side comparisons for
> cameras that you are considering. They obviously give you a bunch of tech
> data, but much will be common to film photography. Most of the rest, is
> detailed on the site, but you may have to use the site as a glossary for

some.

> As some have said, older MS9x OSs have problem with USB. OTOH, I just

picked
> up a USB2/Firewire DVD-DL burner, that came with drivers for USB on older

MS
> OSs. Don't know how far back they will work, but I'll bet there are some
> drivers out there - or just plan on upgrading the OS. However, each new
> iteration seems to want more hardware to support it. That said, PC

hardware is
> very, very cheap. First you'll want a CD/DVD burner, then larger, faster

HDDs,
> and probably 1GB+ RAM, then a bigger monitor... it never ends and photo

files
> are large!
>
> Hunt

Many thanks for the technical information and especially the dpreview site.
This will keep me occupied for many hours.before I take the plunge into
Digital photography.
Peter.