Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-770 No sound in movie mode

Olympus C-770 No sound in movie mode

defective.hamster@gmail.com

I bought Olympus C-770 several months ago, and I am quite happy with
the still pictures it takes.

However, the movies are a different matter--when I shoot JPEG movies, I
don't get any sound. According to the on-line reviews, the camera is
capable of 640x480 JPEG with sound. The manual is no help whatsoever.
How do I turn on the sound?

Thanks in advance.

SteveB

With most Olympus cameras, the printed manual you get with the camera is
very basic and for more detailed info you have to either download a PDF from
the Olympus site or it's on a CD that came with the camera.

Ken Weitzel

> I bought Olympus C-770 several months ago, and I am quite happy with
> the still pictures it takes.
>
> However, the movies are a different matter--when I shoot JPEG movies, I
> don't get any sound. According to the on-line reviews, the camera is
> capable of 640x480 JPEG with sound. The manual is no help whatsoever.
> How do I turn on the sound?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi...

Switch to the movie mode; then press OK to bring up the
top level menu. Choose mode menu, then under the camera
tab you'll see an icon of a microphone. Select on.

Take care.

Ken

John Wolf

Best of luck to you. My Vivitar shoots excellent day shots, but also lacks
sound in video mode.

John

--
Posted with a Jornada 720
Posted with Ink Spot (for Windows CE) from DejaVu Software, Inc.

John Wolf

How lucacris. Cameras should have a good printed manuals. I would not buy
a camera that forces me to print out a manual by making me download a pdf.

John

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, "SteveB"
<sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:
> With most Olympus cameras, the printed manual you get with the camera is
> very basic and for more detailed info you have to either download a PDF

from
> the Olympus site or it's on a CD that came with the camera.

--
Posted with a Jornada 720
Posted with Ink Spot (for Windows CE) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

Lin Chung

Defective Hamster wrote:
> I bought Olympus C-770...when I shoot JPEG movies, I don't get
> any sound....The manual is no help whatsoever.
> How do I turn on the sound?

I played the two sample videos (P7080238, P7050235) in the C-770 review on
the Steve's Digicam web site. One was in MPEG-4 and the other Motion-JPEG.
Played in QuickTime Player, both of them were OK, with audio too.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...z_samples.html

I also played them in VLC Media Player (a sort of 'universal' player: you
can replace your Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, Real player, DivX
player, and any other player with just this VLC player alone, if you like).
Again, there was not a hint of trouble. Note: all download manager
applications need to be "Exit"-ed, not just "Pause"-ed.
http://www.videolan.org/

To rule out the issue is not caused by your camera, you may like to test
playing back the two aforementioned videos first.

Please report back your results.

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Lin Chung

Lin Chung wrote:
> Defective Hamster wrote:
>> I bought Olympus C-770...when I shoot JPEG movies, I don't get
>> any sound....The manual is no help whatsoever.
>> How do I turn on the sound?

> I played the two sample videos (P7080238, P7050235) in the C-770 review
> on the Steve's Digicam web site....
> Played in QuickTime Player, both of them were OK, with audio too.
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...z_samples.html I also
> played them in VLC Media Player...
> Again, there was not a hint of trouble....
> http://www.videolan.org/ To rule out the issue is not caused by your
> camera, you may like to test
> playing back the two aforementioned videos first.

Just re-read your question. Are you saying you could not record sound while
taking video? Playback of pre-recorded video was alright. My apology if I
had misunderstood your inquiry.

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

SteveB

Why do you have to print it out?

Skip M

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do you have to print it out?

Not to speak for John, but manuals are handy to have when you're out in the
field. I don't always have my laptop with me, but my camera manual is
always in my bag.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Ken Weitzel wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I bought Olympus C-770 several months ago, and I am quite happy with
> > the still pictures it takes.
> >
> > However, the movies are a different matter--when I shoot JPEG movies, I
> > don't get any sound. According to the on-line reviews, the camera is
> > capable of 640x480 JPEG with sound. The manual is no help whatsoever.
> > How do I turn on the sound?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Hi...
>
> Switch to the movie mode; then press OK to bring up the
> top level menu. Choose mode menu, then under the camera
> tab you'll see an icon of a microphone. Select on.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Thanks. That did the trick...I have sound in my JPEG movies. Now I'm
off to play with it (unfortunately the dog refuses to bark on camera).

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.