Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CLASSICS ?

CLASSICS ?

Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.

Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?

I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
have suffered from one relibility problem or another.

I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.

So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

<rj>

David J Taylor

<RJ> wrote:
> Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
>
> Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
> ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
> in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
>
> I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
> have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
>
> I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
>
> So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

Nikon Coolpix series - Nikon 990/995/4500. They have a swivelling body,
and extremely good macro capability. Despite being only 3.1MP, they
produce good 10 x 8 inch prints. The Nikon 990 needs a touch of
switch-cleaner on it's mode switch from time to time. The Nikon Coolpix
900 first came out in 1998, seven years ago.

Cheers,
David

Siddhartha Jain

<RJ> wrote:
> Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
>
> Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
> ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
> in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
>
> I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
> have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
>
> I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
>
> So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

Canon 10D?

dylan

"<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
>
> Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
> ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
> in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
>
> I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
> have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
>
> I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
>
> So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

Canon G1, mines had a bit of abuse and a few drops and lost a few screws,
but still works fine.

Unclaimed Mysteries

<RJ> wrote:

> Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
>
> Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
> ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
> in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
>
> I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
> have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
>
> I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
>
> So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?
>
> <rj>

The classic for *me* will be the Kodak DC4800. But the consensus pick
has got to be Nikon Coolpixeseses, such as the 990.

Corry
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Of course I went to law school. - Warren Zevon, "Mr. Bad Example"

henryp

Olympus C-8080, IMHO

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:41:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Nikon Coolpix series - Nikon 990/995/4500. They have a swivelling body,
>and extremely good macro capability. Despite being only 3.1MP, they
>produce good 10 x 8 inch prints. The Nikon 990 needs a touch of
>switch-cleaner on it's mode switch from time to time. The Nikon Coolpix
>900 first came out in 1998, seven years ago.

I'll second that. I still use my 5 yr old 990 at work from time to time.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Dirty Harry

"<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
>
> Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
> ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
> in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
>
> I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
> have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
>
> I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
>
> So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?
>
> <rj>

d30?

skroob

still use the DC4800 as my backup to my D70. That was a great camera. Good
quality, and you can get a set of lenses to slide on the end of the fixed
lens (macro lenses, wideangle, and a 2x tele).

news:zOPDe.6893$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

[OT] Sunday Classics Bigus DiŠkus MCSE 3 03-14-2006 02:39 AM
Where to rent older classics (VHS or DVD) Steve DVD Video 4 10-11-2003 03:35 AM
Universal Horror Classics Josh Parsons DVD Video 1 09-10-2003 02:22 AM
Re: Norm Classics Volume II. Steve Hanson DVD Video 0 06-24-2003 06:28 PM
Re: Norm Classics Volume II. Gazza DVD Video 0 06-23-2003 03:43 PM

Advertisments