Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photographing book.

Photographing book.

Mick Breen

My sister has just finished our complete family history with cuttings,
photos and writing in a large photo album (too big to scan) and I want to
photograph every page and burn to a CD for safe keeping. I have a
Panasonic FZ5 (One day old!) and was wondering the best settings for the
camera and also whether to use flash or natural light ............ shade or
direct sunlight ?

Many thanks,
Mick.

Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:51:09 +1000, Mick Breen wrote:

> My sister has just finished our complete family history with cuttings,
> photos and writing in a large photo album (too big to scan) and I want to
> photograph every page and burn to a CD for safe keeping. I have a
> Panasonic FZ5 (One day old!) and was wondering the best settings for the
> camera and also whether to use flash or natural light ............ shade or
> direct sunlight ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mick.

Go to your local library and get a book on photography that has a decent
section on copying. That will give you the info. you need.
--
neil
delete delete to reply

Bob Williams

Mick Breen wrote:
> My sister has just finished our complete family history with cuttings,
> photos and writing in a large photo album (too big to scan) and I want to
> photograph every page and burn to a CD for safe keeping. I have a
> Panasonic FZ5 (One day old!) and was wondering the best settings for the
> camera and also whether to use flash or natural light ............ shade or
> direct sunlight ?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mick.

Take your exposure readings off of an 18% Gray Card or use an incident
light meter.
Don't use the camera's flash. It will likely create a bright spot in the
center of the picture.
I would recommend sunlight on a CLOUDY (no shadows) day if possible.
Direct Sunlite is OK if your camera does not throw a shadow on the book.
Shade may be OK too but the images may be a bit blue.
No Problem if you have an Image Editor.
Bob Williams