Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Schneider-Kreuznach Lens'

Schneider-Kreuznach Lens'

kombi45@yahoo.com

My mother bought a studio from a photographer who left behind a bunch
of equipment. Can anyone give me an idea of what the following
Schneider-Kreuznach lens' are worth:

Super Angulon 5.6/75
Compur3 or Symmar 1:5.6/240
Super Angulon 8/90
Symmar-S 5.6/210

All have front and rear lens caps and seem to be in reasonably good
shape. There is a nice metal hard case and some various knick-knacks.
I have posted some pics at:

http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171440
http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171441
http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171442

Thanks for any help here...

Ben

Melody

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can anyone give me an idea of what the following
> Schneider-Kreuznach lens' are worth:

A quick scan of completed eBay listings shows these items (or similar items)
sold for:

> Super Angulon 5.6/75

$565.55
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

> Compur3 or Symmar 1:5.6/240

$610.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

> Super Angulon 8/90

$427
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

> Symmar-S 5.6/210

$170.17 (reserve not met, several others listed for around $150 that didn't
sell at all)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Hope that helps.

kombi45@yahoo.com

Very cool. Thanks! Wanna buy some lens'?? ;^)

Melody wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Can anyone give me an idea of what the following
> > Schneider-Kreuznach lens' are worth:

> A quick scan of completed eBay listings shows these items (or similar items)
> sold for:
>

> > Super Angulon 5.6/75

> $565.55
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>

> > Compur3 or Symmar 1:5.6/240

> $610.00
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>

> > Super Angulon 8/90

> $427
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>

> > Symmar-S 5.6/210

> $170.17 (reserve not met, several others listed for around $150 that didn't
> sell at all)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>
> Hope that helps.

Pete D

These are large format lenses. These will take great shots if you have the
rest of the gear.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Very cool. Thanks! Wanna buy some lens'?? ;^)
>
> Melody wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > Can anyone give me an idea of what the following
>> > Schneider-Kreuznach lens' are worth:

>> A quick scan of completed eBay listings shows these items (or similar
>> items)
>> sold for:
>>

>> > Super Angulon 5.6/75

>> $565.55
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
>> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>>

>> > Compur3 or Symmar 1:5.6/240

>> $610.00
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15247
>> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>>

>> > Super Angulon 8/90

>> $427
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
>> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>>

>> > Symmar-S 5.6/210

>> $170.17 (reserve not met, several others listed for around $150 that
>> didn't
>> sell at all)
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30076
>> &ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1
>>
>> Hope that helps.

dj_nme

Pete D wrote:
> These are large format lenses. These will take great shots if you have the
> rest of the gear.

<snip LF lens descriptions>

Think along the lines of a large camera with a bellows, sort of like an
enlarger turned sideways.
Usually used on a tripod and can produce some realy "cool" perspective
tricks using tilt, swing and shift (google for "Scheimpflung").

Pete D

"dj_nme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42d5fba6$0$5949$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>> These are large format lenses. These will take great shots if you have
>> the rest of the gear.
>>

> <snip LF lens descriptions>
>
> Think along the lines of a large camera with a bellows, sort of like an
> enlarger turned sideways.
> Usually used on a tripod and can produce some realy "cool" perspective
> tricks using tilt, swing and shift (google for "Scheimpflung").

Linhoff, etc, you don't need bellows as such, have a look at the Sinars. Big
overhead handling the large film (the 4 x 5 is okay but the 8 x 10 is pretty
huge) but the results can be staggering.

Bandicoot

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My mother bought a studio from a photographer who left
> behind a bunch of equipment. Can anyone give me an idea > of what the

following Schneider-Kreuznach lens' are worth:

All these are large format lenses, in this case (primarily) for the 4x5"
format - so you might want to re-ask this question in
rec.photo.equipment.large-format, where there are many very knowledgeable
people.

> Super Angulon 5.6/75

A wide angle lens, diagonal angle of view equivalent to a 20mm on 35mm.
This is a fast one, for a 75mm, and a popular lens although there is a newer
model now with more coverage.

> Compur3 or Symmar 1:5.6/240

Compur is the shutter and 3 the shutter size. Symmar is the lens type.
This is a 'short' long-focus lens, with a diagonal angle of view equivalent
to a 63mm on 35mm. The Symmar is an older lens design than the 'S' etc.,
but still good.

These are convertible lenses where unscrewing the front element from the
shutter gives a second, longe, focal length, with somewhat reduced sharpness
(and much reduced speed.) The figures marked in green that I can see on the
photo of this one are probably the aperture for when it is used 'converted'.

> Super Angulon 8/90

Another wideangle, diagonal angle of view equivalent to a 24mm on 35mm.
This is the slowest version of this lens, but it is still a good one, very
sharp. I have one that is _much_ older than the one you are showing, and
it is still very useful.

> Symmar-S 5.6/210

A lens that many 4x5" photographers like to use as their standard, diagonal
angle of view equivalent to a 55mm on 35mm. The Symmar-S is newer than the
Symmar, though it isn't the current model.

The Copal shutters that all but the 240mm Symmar are in look to have the
silver speed setting ring. This means they are the version before the
current one, which has a black ring. I don't think there is much if any
difference, but some buyers will pay more for a lens in black-ring shutter
just because it's newer.

> All have front and rear lens caps and seem to be in
> reasonably good shape. There is a nice metal hard case
> and some various knick-knacks. I have posted some pics
> at:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171440
> http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171441
> http://www.pbase.com/sirchandestroy/image/46171442

From the pictures they all look in nice condition. I think those are Sinar
lens boards they are on (that doesn't limit them to Sinar users though,
changing lens-boards is something LF photographers do all the time.) Prices
for such lenses vary widely: I'd suggest looking at the prices at B&H and at
completed auctions on *Bay.

Hope that is some help,

Peter

Bob Salomon

In article <MstBe.48612$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Linhoff

That is the name of a camera repair company in Michigan.

Linhof is the name of the camera manufacturer in Munich.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Pete D

"Bob Salomon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <MstBe.48612$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Linhoff

> That is the name of a camera repair company in Michigan.
>
> Linhof is the name of the camera manufacturer in Munich.

OMG, how could make such a mistake!! Where the hell is Michigan anyway is
that in your country?