Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Olympus have their own capture software?

Does Olympus have their own capture software?

kzan1234@gmail.com

Hi -

I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
SLRs).

I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.

I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
no one is picking up.

I am interested in the following models:

C-7070
C-7000
C-770
C-765
C-8080
C-60

- Trevor

Rudy Benner

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi -
>
> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
> directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
> saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
> SLRs).
>
> I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
> software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
>
> I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
> no one is picking up.
>
> I am interested in the following models:
>
> C-7070
> C-7000
> C-770
> C-765
> C-8080
> C-60
>
> - Trevor

You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive on your
computer as soon as its plugged in.

Bert Hyman

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Rudy Benner) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi -
>>
>> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture
>> software to directly capture images from the camera to the PC
>> through USB, without saving to the CF card (like Canon's software
>> for the G6 and their SLRs).

> You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive
> on your computer as soon as its plugged in.

I think you've misunderstood the question.

Canon supplies a remote-capture utility that allows you to drive the
camera remotely and have the image data downloaded directly to your
PC without first storing it on the internal memory card.

I believe that the OP wonders if Olympus can do the same.

[Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
same?]

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

Rudy Benner

"Bert Hyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> (E-Mail Removed) (Rudy Benner) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture
>>> software to directly capture images from the camera to the PC
>>> through USB, without saving to the CF card (like Canon's software
>>> for the G6 and their SLRs).

>> You do not need any software, the camera appears as another drive
>> on your computer as soon as its plugged in.

> I think you've misunderstood the question.
>
> Canon supplies a remote-capture utility that allows you to drive the
> camera remotely and have the image data downloaded directly to your
> PC without first storing it on the internal memory card.
>
> I believe that the OP wonders if Olympus can do the same.
>
> [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
> software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
> same?]
>
> --
> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

You are correct. This is what I found, it works with my C-7070.

http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

Good luck and have fun.

Ken Weitzel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
> directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
> saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
> SLRs).
>
> I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
> software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
>
> I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
> no one is picking up.
>
> I am interested in the following models:
>
> C-7070
> C-7000
> C-770
> C-765
> C-8080
> C-60
>
> - Trevor

Hi Trevor...

I think this is what you're looking for...

www.sabsik.com/Cam2Com/index.htm

Take care.

Ken

Bert Hyman

In news:Xns96907B99A2F8BVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1 Bert Hyman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
> software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
> same?]

I see that Olympus does have an SDK for their cameras, but they sell it
for $40.

http://developer.olympus.com/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> Hi -
>
> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
> directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
> saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
> SLRs).
>
> I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
> software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
>
> I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
> no one is picking up.
>
> I am interested in the following models:
>
> C-7070
> C-7000
> C-770
> C-765
> C-8080
> C-60

If you are a programmer with Visual Studio, Olympus sells a developer's kit
that contains libraries to control the camera:
http://developer.olympus.com/cameras.html

Pine Tree Software offers shareware that is linked with the above library:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

There was another shareware program (cam2ctl) but I don't think I saved a link
to it.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

A.P.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi -
>
> I am trying to find whether Olympus makes their own capture software to
> directly capture images from the camera to the PC through USB, without
> saving to the CF card (like Canon's software for the G6 and their
> SLRs).
>
> I know there's a third party company in Russia (Akond) that sells this
> software; but I would like to know if Olympus makes their own.
>
> I have called Olympus America but their phone support is terrible and
> no one is picking up.
>
> I am interested in the following models:
>
> C-7070
> C-7000
> C-770
> C-765
> C-8080
> C-60
>
> - Trevor

Olympus have made the software "Olympus Studio"
( Or was it "Olympus Master" )
It will do what you ask.
I'm not sure if that sw handles all Oly cams, or maby
just the highend cams.

AP

Keith Sheppard

[Canon also supplies a free SDK so that you can develop your own
> software for their cameras; does Olympus or anybody else do the
> same?]

Yes. Olympus also have an SDK. I have a copy. You have to register with
them and tell them why you want it (ie. what sort of application you are
developing) but if you are an amateur like me there's no charge - nor did
they quibble. I filled in the form and the SDK arrived by return.

I can confirm that the SDK gives you full control over all camera settings
and the ability to fire the shutter. I believe that it always writes the
image to the card. I had a quick skim through the docs and there doesn't
seem to be any direct capture API. Mind you, you could always download the
captured image and then instantly erase it.

Also note that my observations are based on an SDK which is nearly two years
old now. Things may be different with more recent models.

Keith

Keith Sheppard

>>I see that Olympus does have an SDK for their cameras, but they sell it
>>for $40.

My memory (which is very unreliable these days) was that it was free when I
got it back in Oct 2003. Maybe there was a nominal charge to cover
materials which I have since forgotten but if so it would have been nominal
because my development budget is approximately zero.

Also I have never in my life, to my knowledge, paid more than 15 for any
software package* (discounting software bundled with hardware) so I would
have remembered if it was significant.

Regards
Keith

* OK, I once paid 30 for a game for my daughter's boyfriend's birthday, but
that was an exception.