Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do I know if my Image Stabilizer is working?

How do I know if my Image Stabilizer is working?

badchess

OK, here is a stupid question.

I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.

How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)

Is there some other way?

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...0&modelid=7344

Bill Hilton

>badchess asks ...
>
>How do I know if the image stabilizer is working?

Set a slow shutter speed, say 1/60th sec or so while hand-holding and
focus by pushing the shutter part way down while you try to hold the
camera steady. With IS and that lens you should see the image jitter a
bit and then lock in, and you can probably hear it as well. Try it
with IS on and off and you'll see a difference.

Bill

Dave R knows who

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >badchess asks ...
>>
>>How do I know if the image stabilizer is working?

> Set a slow shutter speed, say 1/60th sec or so while hand-holding and
> focus by pushing the shutter part way down while you try to hold the
> camera steady. With IS and that lens you should see the image jitter a
> bit and then lock in, and you can probably hear it as well. Try it
> with IS on and off and you'll see a difference.

Right. If it is quiet enough you should hear the IS motor running while you
hold the shutter half-way.

badchess

Ahhh, cool. I put my ear right on the side of the lens and I could
hear it. Thanks tons both of you.

Fred McKenzie

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"badchess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
> Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.
>
> How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
> pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)

BC-

The IS function only works while the picture-taking button is pressed at
least half-way down. You normally press the button half way, let the IS
function activate as you compose your shot, and then press the button the
rest of the way to take the picture. I'm not sure how long it takes, but
I'd give it at least a couple of seconds to activate.

Normally the IS effect is subtle. Try this: While the IS is activated,
try panning across a scene and suddenly stopping. You should see the
image in the viewfinder "move" in the direction you were panning, as IS
tries to stabilize the motion.

Fred

badchess

Thanks Fred, I'll try that too.

missingdata

badchess wrote:
> OK, here is a stupid question.
>
> I have a zoom lense with Image Stabilizer (see website below) on my
> Canon EOS20D. I bought the lens used.
>
> How do I know if the image stabilizer is working? (other then taking
> pictures with it on and off, then going home and comparing them)
>
> Is there some other way?
>

> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...0&modelid=7344

Hand-held at 400mm, it should be trivial to visually verify that the
'shakes' disappear when you half press the shutter.

Charles Schuler

> Hand-held at 400mm, it should be trivial to visually verify that the
> 'shakes' disappear when you half press the shutter.

Absolutely! I have that lens and it's very easy to detect the IS working
(just as posted above).

Bob Harrington

badchess wrote:
> Ahhh, cool. I put my ear right on the side of the lens and I could
> hear it. Thanks tons both of you.

You might also be able to tell by looking into the lens from the front
as you press the shutter release - with a strong light source behind you
to cast refelctions on the lens elements, you may well be able to see
the movement of the IS elements as you gently shake the camera.

I've only done this with my old Sony CD1000, where it's easy to see;
could well be harder with 'real' lenses. And even harder with my new
Maxxum 7D where it's the sensor that moves...

Bob ^,,^

badchess

OK, now that I look carefully I can see it working. I just got a burst
of paranoia for a second there...

Thanks all.