Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Picture Disk...pics are upside down

Kodak Picture Disk...pics are upside down

Bob Hayden

Before going to all-digital I'm burning off my last few dozen rolls of film
and getting Kodak Picture Disk CD-ROMs. I am very confused by Kodak's Easy
Share software and prefer NOT to use it, but if I just copy the pics from
the CD-ROM to my Hard Disk and view them with my current software (Olympus
Camedia), they are all upside down! And if I rotate them with Camedia, I
severely lose pixels/data/quality. I know there should be a simple way to
remedy this but I am drawing a blank. Any help is appreciated. BYW, I am
running Windows 98.

Tumbleweed

"Bob Hayden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5U3Ae.1932$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Before going to all-digital I'm burning off my last few dozen rolls of
> film
> and getting Kodak Picture Disk CD-ROMs. I am very confused by Kodak's Easy
> Share software and prefer NOT to use it, but if I just copy the pics from
> the CD-ROM to my Hard Disk and view them with my current software (Olympus
> Camedia), they are all upside down! And if I rotate them with Camedia, I
> severely lose pixels/data/quality. I know there should be a simple way to
> remedy this but I am drawing a blank. Any help is appreciated. BYW, I am
> running Windows 98.

What happens if you view them with something else like IE or Irfanview?
If they really are upside down then you can use irfanview to rotate them
all, it has a batch function and wont lose pixels.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Bob Hayden

T,
Thanks for the heads up on Irfanview...I downloaded it last year but had
never used it. Looks like once I figured it out on how to batch it that it
worked well.
Bob
"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bob Hayden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5U3Ae.1932$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Before going to all-digital I'm burning off my last few dozen rolls of
> > film
> > and getting Kodak Picture Disk CD-ROMs. I am very confused by Kodak's

Easy
> > Share software and prefer NOT to use it, but if I just copy the pics

from
> > the CD-ROM to my Hard Disk and view them with my current software

(Olympus
> > Camedia), they are all upside down! And if I rotate them with Camedia, I
> > severely lose pixels/data/quality. I know there should be a simple way

> > remedy this but I am drawing a blank. Any help is appreciated. BYW, I am
> > running Windows 98.
> >

> What happens if you view them with something else like IE or Irfanview?
> If they really are upside down then you can use irfanview to rotate them
> all, it has a batch function and wont lose pixels.
>
> --
> Tumbleweed
>
> email replies not necessary but to contact use;
> tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Paul Mitchum

Bob Hayden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Before going to all-digital I'm burning off my last few dozen rolls of film
> and getting Kodak Picture Disk CD-ROMs. I am very confused by Kodak's Easy
> Share software and prefer NOT to use it, but if I just copy the pics from
> the CD-ROM to my Hard Disk and view them with my current software (Olympus
> Camedia), they are all upside down! And if I rotate them with Camedia, I
> severely lose pixels/data/quality. I know there should be a simple way to
> remedy this but I am drawing a blank. Any help is appreciated. BYW, I am
> running Windows 98.

Since they're JPEGs, you can use lossless rotation software. Google
'jpeg lossless rotation software' and fill your needs.

Personally, I use jpegtran for this, but it's a command-line tool, and
doesn't sound like something you'd be comfortable with.

HTH.

Ronald Baird

Greetings Bob,

The images in your Picture CD relate to how they were exposed. If you shot
portrait as well as landscape there is software in the scanning and burning
of the Picture CD that reorients the images for you upon their use.

If you choose to not use a Picture CD and only want the image, then the
addenda to the image is not there and so the images appear in their original
form.

Your program should not resize the image unless it is designed to do this or
you tell it to perform these functions. Your files are not lost as the
Picture CD cannot be written to any longer and the files can be used over
again. Not knowing the attributes of your program, I can only guess that it
has adjustments to allow for such edits and changes as does EasyShare.

Check the manual or instructions for Camedia and see what the settings are
to reorient incoming files. If it works with JPG files which it likely does,
you should be OK. If you think I can help in some other way, or if you have
questions about EasyShare, I am glad to help.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Upside down pyramid JTree? RC Java 2 02-22-2007 09:58 AM
Upside Down Nowhere Computer Support 31 01-30-2006 09:05 PM
Help! Upside down blurry pictures with HP Photosmart 320. BlackJackGirl Digital Photography 0 12-06-2004 05:17 AM
Icons are upside down...how to correct MBell72398 Computer Information 3 12-19-2003 05:56 AM
Icons upside down...FIXED MBell72398 Computer Information 3 12-18-2003 07:43 PM

Advertisments