Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Need co-location advice [San Diego]. Verio sucks.

Need co-location advice [San Diego]. Verio sucks.

Jules Winfield

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on a good co-location provider in the San Diego
area.

I've been using Verio for years. Some time ago, Verio was purchased by
the Japanese company NTT. NTT fired all of the employees in the San Diego
location except for one. Support is now non-existent. Downtime is common.
It's reached a point where the Internet connectivity that I'm receiving on
my $45/month cable modem is *better* than the connectivity I'm receiving via
my $1,500/month Verio account.

Of course I'm not suggesting that I move the 14 co-located servers to my
apartment and run them off my cable modem, but at the same time, with
Verio's service and support at an all time low, I've got to at least look
for some alternatives. Any ideas?

Here's why I cross-posted to the Cisco group. The latest outage at Verio
was due to the following:

===
During this maintenance, Verio engineers must reboot to collocation routers
to correct a memory allocation problem. Our engineers have inform us that if
this does not occur, we will experience unplanned downtime. This maintenance
will cause a short service interruption. Your services will be inaccessible
for 5 to 15 minutes, while the router reloads and BGP sessions synchronize.
It is Verio policy to notify our customers when performing work of this
nature on infrastructure services. If you have any questions about this
maintenance, please contact us using the information below and reference
ticket [1-401862994].
===

I frequently receive these types of emails from Verio with a lot of tech
terms that I don't understand as they try to justify why there will be yet
more downtime at the colo facility. I know they use Cisco routers just like
pretty much every other colo facility. So why is it that it is only Verio
that seems to be plagued by these "memory allocation" errors in their Cisco
routers? I'm starting to wonder if Verio is just full of crap.

Jules