Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanner with PDF output

Scanner with PDF output

Giorgis

Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
film,
on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
documents and save them as PDF files.

Regards
Giorgis

Gregory Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
> film,
> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
> documents and save them as PDF files.
>
> Regards
> Giorgis

PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for
one, Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
sequence.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Herb Kauhry

Most any Epson. Their included software can save as PDF (their SmartPanel
app).

--

"Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
> film,
> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
> documents and save them as PDF files.
>
> Regards
> Giorgis

John McWilliams

Gregory Blank wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
>>film,
>>on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
>>documents and save them as PDF files.
>>

> PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for
> one, Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
> sequence.

This really begs the question- why PDF's??

--
John McWilliams

Dave Cohen

"Herb Kauhry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most any Epson. Their included software can save as PDF (their SmartPanel
> app).
>
> --
>
> "Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
>> film,
>> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
>> documents and save them as PDF files.
>>
>> Regards
>> Giorgis

Also higher end visioneer with latest scansoft software and certain Xeorox,
possibly HP.
Dave Cohen

Gregory Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This really begs the question- why PDF's??

Because most computers can open a PDF, certainly 99%
of the graphics people have Acrobat, which btw allows the creator to
encrypt the file so only some aspects are allowed. Like you can read it
or open it but not print from it. It hopefully deters some thieving .

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

John McWilliams

John McWilliams wrote:
> Gregory Blank wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> "Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
>>> film,
>>> on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
>>> documents and save them as PDF files.
>>>

>> PDF's can be created from a number of programs, Photo Shop for one,
>> Acrobat is better especially if you want multiple files to be in
>> sequence.
>>

> This really begs the question- why PDF's??

Since Mr. Giorgis may have left the building, and anyone venture as to
why one would want to capture to PDF format?

john mcw.

Ray Fischer

Giorgis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Could you guys advise me on a scanner that is reasonably good with
>film,
>on the lower end of the price range. I also need to be able to scan
>documents and save them as PDF files.

If you want to scan, OCR the text, and save the result as a searchable
PDF then Acrobat is something you should look at. It'll work with a
lot of different scanners.

--
Ray Fischer

Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:20:05 GMT, Gregory Blank, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > This really begs the question- why PDF's??

> Because most computers can open a PDF, certainly 99%
> of the graphics people have Acrobat, which btw allows the creator to
> encrypt the file so only some aspects are allowed. Like you can read it
> or open it but not print from it. It hopefully deters some thieving .

It no more stops thieving than Adobe's weak "encryption" stopped
"thieving" of their e-books. The main reason for even a half-assed
"security mechanism" is that breaking it brings down the wrath of the
DMCA (circumventing security, etc). A "no trespassing" sign doesn't
physically prevent trespassing, but it helps in a legal case against a
trespasser. The weak level of encryption will work against the typical
point-n-drool user who has trouble finding the "any" key, but not
aginst anybody competent. General rule of thumb... if someone can
display a file on their computer, they can do whatever they please with
it.

--
Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like (E-Mail Removed)
Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

Gregory Blank

In article <42d0d632$0$7895$(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It no more stops thieving than Adobe's weak "encryption" stopped
> "thieving" of their e-books. The main reason for even a half-assed
> "security mechanism" is that breaking it brings down the wrath of the
> DMCA (circumventing security, etc). A "no trespassing" sign doesn't
> physically prevent trespassing, but it helps in a legal case against a
> trespasser. The weak level of encryption will work against the typical
> point-n-drool user who has trouble finding the "any" key, but not
> aginst anybody competent. General rule of thumb... if someone can
> display a file on their computer, they can do whatever they please with
> it.

Even if it looks like crap, from the low resolution.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918