Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony H1, Canon S2, Panasonic FZ20, Minolta Z5

Sony H1, Canon S2, Panasonic FZ20, Minolta Z5

Stephen Henning

Popular photography recently (August 2005) compared these 4 5MP EVF
image-stabalized ultra-zooms.

Here are some conclusions:

Sony H1: Only 2 AA batteries, no hot shoe or flash connector, and no RAW.

Canon S2: Small LCD, no ext flash.

Panasonic FZ20: HIGH digital noise, even at low ISOs.

Monolta Z5: Has hot shoe and dedicated external flash option. No
negatives.

Some people recently doubted MacWorld's recent camera review, so here is
a photography magazine review.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

David J Taylor

Stephen Henning wrote:
> Popular photography recently (August 2005) compared these 4 5MP EVF
> image-stabalized ultra-zooms.
>
> Here are some conclusions:
>
> Sony H1: Only 2 AA batteries, no hot shoe or flash connector, and no
> RAW.
>
> Canon S2: Small LCD, no ext flash.
>
> Panasonic FZ20: HIGH digital noise, even at low ISOs.
>
> Monolta Z5: Has hot shoe and dedicated external flash option. No
> negatives.
>
> Some people recently doubted MacWorld's recent camera review, so here
> is a photography magazine review.

Simply from what you list, I would have a number of reservations about its
completeness and accuracy. Do you have the full URL for this review, or
is it not available online?

David

Stephen Henning

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Stephen Henning wrote:
> > Popular photography recently (August 2005) compared these 4 5MP EVF
> > image-stabalized ultra-zooms.
> >
> > Here are some conclusions:
> >
> > Sony H1: Only 2 AA batteries, no hot shoe or flash connector, and no
> > RAW.
> >
> > Canon S2: Small LCD, no ext flash.
> >
> > Panasonic FZ20: HIGH digital noise, even at low ISOs.
> >
> > Monolta Z5: Has hot shoe and dedicated external flash option. No
> > negatives.
> >
> > Some people recently doubted MacWorld's recent camera review, so here
> > is a photography magazine review.

> Simply from what you list, I would have a number of reservations about its
> completeness and accuracy. Do you have the full URL for this review, or
> is it not available online?

I subscribe to the magazine. The website (www.popphoto.com) is mainly
to solicit new subscriptions.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to (E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

David J Taylor

Stephen Henning wrote:
[]
> I subscribe to the magazine. The website (www.popphoto.com) is mainly
> to solicit new subscriptions.

Thanks, Stephen. I won't be able to comment on the review, then. There's
a new review of the Sony H1 out at DP Review. Leave me very happy with
the Panasonic, to be honest, although the swivel finder and movie mode on
the Canon might make up for the poorer image quality depending on one's
priorities!

Cheers,
David

SleeperMan

David J Taylor wrote:
> Stephen Henning wrote:
> []
>> I subscribe to the magazine. The website (www.popphoto.com) is
>> mainly to solicit new subscriptions.

> Thanks, Stephen. I won't be able to comment on the review, then. There's
> a new review of the Sony H1 out at DP Review. Leave me very
> happy with the Panasonic, to be honest, although the swivel finder
> and movie mode on the Canon might make up for the poorer image
> quality depending on one's priorities!
>
> Cheers,
> David

small LCD on S2? Hm...actually it's somewhat bigger than one in S1...and by
no means small. All Oly's have smaller...
I have it and love it. Had S1 before, also loved it, but S2 has all
negatives from S1 corrected. Image quality is quite good if not excellent
from other reviews, a tiny bit on the red, but nothing scary. Shooting in
total darkness is now possible, external flash can be obtained as slave
unit.

CrunchyDoodle@gmail.com

The LCD on the Canon S2 IS is smaller than the Sony H1. However, it
swivels and rotates, which allows me to take some very interesting
shots with the subject well framed.

None of these super-zooms are perfect. I chose the Canon S2 IS as a
compromise of features, performance and price. So far, I'm fairly happy
with it. And it's likely, in a year, when the Canon S3 IS comes out,
I'll be looking at that one too.

Bye.

Linda Nieuwenstein

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> None of these super-zooms are perfect. I chose the Canon S2 IS as a
> compromise of features, performance and price. So far, I'm fairly happy
> with it. And it's likely, in a year, when the Canon S3 IS comes out,
> I'll be looking at that one too.
>
> Bye.

The S3 IS will have RAW. Wishful thinking as for some reason, though most
upper Powershot models have Raw, Canon refuses to put it in the IS series.

Take care,
Linda

Linda Nieuwenstein

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:fkvze.65600>
> Thanks, Stephen. I won't be able to comment on the review, then. There's
> a new review of the Sony H1 out at DP Review. Leave me very happy with
> the Panasonic, to be honest, although the swivel finder and movie mode on
> the Canon might make up for the poorer image quality depending on one's
> priorities!
>
> Cheers,
> David

I think you did fine with your FZ-5. The swivel is a loss, but then again at
least you have TIFF, rather than nothing but JPG. TIFF is not my favourite
but at least the option is there.

The camera that will sell like mad (coming to a store near all of us
hopefully) is a combined wide and zoom, excellent glass, fast focus, IS that
works, better than average ISO performance because of a larger sensor
(or..very high hopes here... the newest small sensor recently tested that is
half the thickness and a fraction of the cost to develop over current sensor
technology...or better yet the phillips liquid gas lens!...hurry, hurry with
that technology) with full RAW, a huge host of manual and auto functions,
swivel (Canon is actually moving away from swivels due to high number of
repair issues and warrenty drains) all wrapped up in a sturdy (the Pan FZ5
is feels flimbsy even if it isn't) yet pocket sized body. Finally it must
have a host of adapter lenses for extending the usage of the camera, and
these lenses do not degrade the quality of the image. All this for a very
affordable price (everyday Joe).

Take care,
Linda

Stephen Henning

"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> small LCD on S2? Hm...actually it's somewhat bigger than one in S1...and by
> no means small. All Oly's have smaller...

The other three have 2" monitors, not 1.8" like the S2. That is 24%
less area.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to (E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

imbsysop

"Stephen Henning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> small LCD on S2? Hm...actually it's somewhat bigger than one in S1...and
>> by
>> no means small. All Oly's have smaller...

> The other three have 2" monitors, not 1.8" like the S2. That is 24%
> less area.

you mean a 1.8" LCD with 115K pixels (S2) is worse than a 2.5" with 115K
pixels (H1) ?