Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 RAW + custom curves question...

Nikon D70 RAW + custom curves question...

OxfordEye

I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your raw NEF files.

I am developing a piece of software that allows you to upload curves into the D70 custom curve area and am now starting to add the
support for raw NEF files. I have it loading them and converting them to JPEG, but would like to add other functionality like
embedding curves back into the NEF (similar to Curve Surgery Pro I think).

I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.

Thanks in advance

Todd.

PS. The current software can be found at www.oxfordeye.co.uk/software.aspx

scrunchy2k@yahoo.com

I was in the process of learning about that,
when the software expired.

Ever since I just use dcraw to convert RAW to TIFF.

-s

OxfordEye wrote:
> I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your raw NEF files.
>
> I am developing a piece of software that allows you to upload curves into the D70 custom curve area and am now starting to add the
> support for raw NEF files. I have it loading them and converting them to JPEG, but would like to add other functionality like
> embedding curves back into the NEF (similar to Curve Surgery Pro I think).
>
> I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Todd.
>
> PS. The current software can be found at www.oxfordeye.co.uk/software.aspx

Andy Dee

OxfordEye wrote:

>I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your raw NEF files.
>
>I am developing a piece of software that allows you to upload curves into the D70 custom curve area and am now starting to add the
>support for raw NEF files. I have it loading them and converting them to JPEG, but would like to add other functionality like
>embedding curves back into the NEF (similar to Curve Surgery Pro I think).
>
>I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Todd.
>
>PS. The current software can be found at www.oxfordeye.co.uk/software.aspx

Please do not foget those who choose not to use Microsoft Windows.
Have you considered making your software Open Source ? and maybe
released under the GPL ?

Thank you for your efforts so far on this worthwhile project.
I look forward to running it under Linux

Regards, A

OxfordEye

Hi Andy,

At the moment its a very small project and Im limited to my choice of OS. Perhaps in the future I will investigate other systems

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Todd.

"Andy Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:db2iua$916$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OxfordEye wrote:
>
> >I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your raw NEF files.
> >
> >I am developing a piece of software that allows you to upload curves into the D70 custom curve area and am now starting to add

the
> >support for raw NEF files. I have it loading them and converting them to JPEG, but would like to add other functionality like
> >embedding curves back into the NEF (similar to Curve Surgery Pro I think).
> >
> >I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Todd.
> >
> >PS. The current software can be found at www.oxfordeye.co.uk/software.aspx
> >

> Please do not foget those who choose not to use Microsoft Windows.
> Have you considered making your software Open Source ? and maybe
> released under the GPL ?
>

> Thank you for your efforts so far on this worthwhile project.
> I look forward to running it under Linux
>
> Regards, A

Ken Tough

OxfordEye <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your raw
>NEF files.
>
>I am developing a piece of software

>I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.

I don't upload custom curves myself, but do a bit of custom processing
of the NEF for individual shots after the fact. In Adobe I like the
fact that you can see the 'lost shadows' and 'lost highlights'
super-imposed on the shot itself, unlike Nikon Capture where you have
to flip between different views.

The big thing I find Nikon Capture is missing compared to Adobe PS2,
is ability to convert to monochrome/grey-scale, with adjustable
intensity allocated to different colour bands (like the effect of
colour filters in film work).

--
Ken Tough

news@OxfordEye.co.uk

Thanks for the post Ken,

The software Ive developed allows greyscale conversion, but at the moment it
has minimal control over the greyscale image.

I will take a good look at the lost highlights/shadows feature in Photoshop
and see what I can do.

Currently I have it loading NEFs and converting them to Jpg/Tiff with the
same image quality of Nikon Capture. Still a lot to do though

Todd.
"Ken Tough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OxfordEye <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm after some info/suggestions about how you use custom curves with your
>>raw
>>NEF files.
>>
>>I am developing a piece of software

>>I'd appreciate any input or ideas you have.

> I don't upload custom curves myself, but do a bit of custom processing
> of the NEF for individual shots after the fact. In Adobe I like the
> fact that you can see the 'lost shadows' and 'lost highlights'
> super-imposed on the shot itself, unlike Nikon Capture where you have
> to flip between different views.
>
> The big thing I find Nikon Capture is missing compared to Adobe PS2,
> is ability to convert to monochrome/grey-scale, with adjustable
> intensity allocated to different colour bands (like the effect of
> colour filters in film work).
>
> --
> Ken Tough

Ken Tough

>Currently I have it loading NEFs and converting them to Jpg/Tiff with the
>same image quality of Nikon Capture. Still a lot to do though

Great, thanks for the work. Keep posting updates on progress here..
it sounds like the kind of thing I'd use, with enhancements like
you describe.

--
Ken Tough