Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which CDs are recommended

Which CDs are recommended

prep@prep.synonet.com

"Robert J Batina" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Ralph <(E-Mail Removed)6.com> spewed:

>> Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos? I have
>> read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
>> were the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

The best by a large margin are the Mitsui disks. They are now split out
into seperate companies, MAM-A in the US and MAM-E in europe. They are
also sold under various labels, but you have to be sure what you are
getting. See the NIST report, and stuff on the MAM site.

> aint no differnce in them cds. they all be the same. put them in
> youre burner and save them pictures and you be good to go

This is a total load of ****.

With DVDs, bigest problem is knowing what you are getting today. I've
been told that Phylocyanine/gold DVDs are about to be available.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Alan Meyer

Bill Funk wrote:
> It's not the "brand" so much as the item itself. Branding is a funny
> thing; most items are branded, but made by someone you've never heard
> of. The branding represents a contract, and no other connection
> between the holder of the brand and the actual manufacturer.

This is one of the questions I wonder about.

I have read that CD's are really only manufactured
in a few factories world-wide. I don't know if that's
true. But some people claim that very often a cheap no
name brand is the identical manufactured product to an
expensive name brand.

That doesn't mean the name brands are crappy. Presumably
the companies owning well respected brands will only sell
decent quality stuff. But it may mean that some of the
very cheap no-name brands are just as good.

I have bought nothing but cheap CD's and DVDs. I had
one batch that had lots of bad ones, but all the others
have been fine (which I say with my fingers crossed.)

Alan

RSD99

If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the only game
in town
http://www.mitsuigold.com/

If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive "name
brand" will probably do.

"Alan Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill Funk wrote:
> > It's not the "brand" so much as the item itself. Branding is a funny
> > thing; most items are branded, but made by someone you've never heard
> > of. The branding represents a contract, and no other connection
> > between the holder of the brand and the actual manufacturer.

> This is one of the questions I wonder about.
>
> I have read that CD's are really only manufactured
> in a few factories world-wide. I don't know if that's
> true. But some people claim that very often a cheap no
> name brand is the identical manufactured product to an
> expensive name brand.
>
> That doesn't mean the name brands are crappy. Presumably
> the companies owning well respected brands will only sell
> decent quality stuff. But it may mean that some of the
> very cheap no-name brands are just as good.
>
> I have bought nothing but cheap CD's and DVDs. I had
> one batch that had lots of bad ones, but all the others
> have been fine (which I say with my fingers crossed.)
>
> Alan

David Arnstein

In article <knYCe.4152$k_.1164@trnddc07>, RSD99 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the only game
>in town
>http://www.mitsuigold.com/
>
>If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive "name
>brand" will probably do.

I haven't used Mitsui, but there is a grade in between that and the
least expensive name brands.

Most of the blanks on sale are made in a few factories in China or
Taiwan. The brand name (Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim, etc.) is largely
irrelevant: all these brands get their disks from a handful of OEMs.
Even worse, the brand names freely change their OEMs. For example,
Fuji used to use Taiyo Yuden as a manufacturer, but they switched to
someone else, without warning.

Which brings me to my last point. Taiyo Yuden is one of the few OEMs
left in Japan. Their CDR blanks are better than any disks
manufactured in China or Taiwan that I know of. So I suggest that you
buy Taiyo Yuden. One can find Taiyo Yudens sold on the internet by
name.

I don't deal with DVD blanks so I'm only talking CD-R here.
--
David Arnstein
(E-Mail Removed)

prep@prep.synonet.com

"RSD99" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the
> only game in town http://www.mitsuigold.com/

> If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive
> "name brand" will probably do.

Well, sort of...

MAM has a standard PC/Gold disk as well as the archival ones.

Many CDs now are made with an Azo dye, and are optimised for max
writing speed. This tends to also result in maxamum wronging speed as
well.

You can use cdwrite to read out the disk prolog date and that includes
the dye type, and who really made the sucker.

See the NIST report for the messy details...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
West Australia 6076

Ralph

Paul, are these available in Australia ?
Ralph in Melbourne
--
remove n u m b e r s to reply