Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanner advice needed

Scanner advice needed

Robert

I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
rt

Gregory Blank

In article <K3Uye.133296$on1.63501@clgrps13>,
"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
> would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
> Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
> rt

I guess that depends on the depth of your pockets. How deep are they?

It also depends on what your classifying as high resolution? 4,000 DPI
or 300, most printing applications like 4 color reproduction only
require the final size to be on the order of 300 DPI at full size.

That stated: You could probably use a flat bed scanner (Epson 4990,
or some other in the 400-600$ range) and something like silver fast v6
and get pretty nice results for most types of printing, with perhaps the
exception of very high end books and poster art. That is if you have a
good color eye and can color balance (Lambda's and Light Jet prints only
need 150 or 200 dpi) Ink jetted you might want a little more res. Now
if your wanting to scan say the 1+1 image area and resample to a bigger
size and smaller DPI say 4,000 at 1+1 then
resample to 48" x 24" (i.e) getting a high quality scanner such as an
Imacon, a Howtek _drum scanner is a better option. But these items have
prices that are very big used 3k and up. All the results though depend
on your ability to color correct and understand the aspects of file
preparation for the intended use, so spending a lot does not always
connote better results.

Personally I have many thousand 4x5 images, I would not justify
buying an Imacon at this point in my career to just make personal
prints or even send out samples. A nikon coolscan 9000 would be nice,..
for my MF imagery and 35mm.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Robert wrote:

> I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
> would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
> Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?
> rt

Here is a comparison of a drum scanner and an Epson 4990:

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...atbed-scanners

I currently have 4x5's scanned on the 4990 enlarged to 24x30 inches
hanging in galleries. I can get very sharp prints from 4x5
scans on my 4990.

Roger

David J. Littleboy

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a lot of 4X5 color negatives as well as many 6X7 negatives that I
>would like to scan in high resolution and then print (to 8.5X11 or larger).
>Any body have experience doing this? What scanner should I be considering?

If you think of the Epson 4990 as a 2400 ppi scanner, that is, if you plan
on getting excellent 6x enlargements and good 8x enlargements, you won't be
disappointed.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan