Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Program mode PDF for Canon DSLRs

Program mode PDF for Canon DSLRs

Charles Schuler

Malcolm Stewart

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Program_AE.pdf

Yes, many thanks to Mr Kerr.
I picked up the reference yesterday, downloaded and printed out his paper.
Quite a heavy read, but it pulls together in one place the basic theory
underlying what's going on.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Paul J Gans

Charles Schuler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Program_AE.pdf

Thanks. That's useful.

----- Paul J. Gans

Randall Ainsworth

In article <dai1r5$rem$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks. That's useful.

Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
craft.

Skip M

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:060720052117055118%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <dai1r5$rem$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. That's useful.

> Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
> craft.

Program isn't one of the idiot modes, and seems quite useful to me. Program
shift, custom functions, ISO all remain operative, unlike the infamous
"green square."

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Paul J Gans

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <dai1r5$rem$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Thanks. That's useful.

>Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
>craft.

Riiiight.

Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

------ Paul J. Gans

Randall Ainsworth

In article <dakl3u$ln5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >In article <dai1r5$rem$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Thanks. That's useful.

> >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
> >craft.

> Riiiight.
>
> Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
or Manual.

Ray Fischer

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Paul J Gans

>> Thanks. That's useful.

>Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
>craft.

Set the camera to Tv, Av, or M, adjust the shutter/aperture to the
value appropriate for depth of field and motion stop, and adjust for
shadows and/or highlights ...

And then put the camera away because you missed the shot.

Me? I leave the camera in program mode so it's ready to catch that
fleeting shot. IF there is time then I'll switch to other modes.

Got some good July 4th photos of kids playing with fireworks. Set the
camera to manual the whole time just to avoid having it meter off of
the bright fireworks.

--
Ray Fischer

Paul J Gans

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <dakl3u$ln5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul J Gans
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
>> >craft.

>> Riiiight.
>>
>> Why not ask what I use it for and then criticize?

>I can't think of one situation where I'd take my camera out of Tv, Av,
>or Manual.

Perhaps my answer would allow you to expand your universe?

----- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Paul J Gans

>>> Thanks. That's useful.

>>Useful for what? Take the damned thing out of idiot mode and learn the
>>craft.

>Set the camera to Tv, Av, or M, adjust the shutter/aperture to the
>value appropriate for depth of field and motion stop, and adjust for
>shadows and/or highlights ...

>And then put the camera away because you missed the shot.

>Me? I leave the camera in program mode so it's ready to catch that
>fleeting shot. IF there is time then I'll switch to other modes.

>Got some good July 4th photos of kids playing with fireworks. Set the
>camera to manual the whole time just to avoid having it meter off of
>the bright fireworks.

In my case it is grandchildren with lightspeed motion
running from light to shadows and back again.

If my target is stationary, then I too can be creative.

---- Paul J. Gans