Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't format Smartmedia, "!Card error" MP3 player trashed the format,olyD510Zoom Fuji2400Z

Can't format Smartmedia, "!Card error" MP3 player trashed the format,olyD510Zoom Fuji2400Z

mike

Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.

The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
to be formatted FAT12.

I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.

This has to be a pervasive problem.
Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...

Thanks, mike
..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Matti Vuori

mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
> by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
> Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.

I don't know, but sometimes my Olympuses (three different models) have had
problems recognizing an SM card. Juggling the card in and out the camera a
couple of times have corrected the situation (I did throw away one card
that I thought was dead before I realized this). I don't know whether it is
a case of static electricity or the phase of the moon...

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

Bill Funk

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>
>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>to be formatted FAT12.
>
>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>
>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>
>Thanks, mike

A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
devices.
Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

vixen2yall

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>by my mp3 player <snip>

>>Thanks, mike

> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
> devices.
> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

you might also try plugging the card into a reader and reformating the
card via the computer. if the camera can see it after that, let the
camera format the card again.

hope that helps

cheers
kat

mike

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>>
>>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>>to be formatted FAT12.
>>
>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>>
>>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>>
>>Thanks, mike

> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
> devices.
> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/

Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
card reader.
Anything that works on something obtainable?
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Gene Palmiter

This problem was much discussed back when SM was still viable. I don't
recall the solution and am suprised Google is of little help. If I had this
problem (and I once did and fixed it...so keep hope alive) I would email
both Oly and the card manufacturer. I am sure they have heard of it. I think
it had something to do with the file system...but all that information that
was in my head had to go to make room for more current stuff.

ASAAR

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike wrote:

> I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
> that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
> I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.

There may be stuff on the card outside of the disk partition that
contains your formatted drive/volume. It could even be that the MP3
player messed up a perfectly fine disk volume by redefining whether
the partition is "Active" or not. There's probably an easier way to
obliterate all partition information, but I'm not familiar with the
Windows Way. If you have DOS device driver that would let you
access a card reader, or can get a PCMCIA slot to work, such as is
almost always found in laptops, the DOS program FDISK.COM could be
used to delete everything on the card and then recreate any
necessary partition. With luck, the camera might be able to
recognize the card if it contains no partitions.

But that's only a remote possibility. You'd probably have to use
FDISK to also recreate a partition and then add a logical volume
(the "letter"ed disk drive). The logical volume would have to be
formatted and some later versions of FDISK automatically do that for
you. Other versions require that you run a separate program
(FORMAT.COM) instead. If you could manage all that, I think that
your camera would then be able to recognize your memory cards.

If you don't have the resources to do any of this, your best bet
would be to find someone with a laptop computer, some bootable DOS
floppy disks, already set up with any necessary PCMCIA drivers in
CONFIG.SYS (and possibly AUTOEXEC.BAT). Then you'd just need a
suitable inexpensive PCMCIA card adapter to hold your SmartMedia
cards and someone at least slightly familiar with FDISK, or
determined enough to plow on regardless.

mike

ASAAR wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike wrote:
>

>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.

> There may be stuff on the card outside of the disk partition that
> contains your formatted drive/volume. It could even be that the MP3
> player messed up a perfectly fine disk volume by redefining whether
> the partition is "Active" or not. There's probably an easier way to
> obliterate all partition information, but I'm not familiar with the
> Windows Way. If you have DOS device driver that would let you
> access a card reader, or can get a PCMCIA slot to work, such as is
> almost always found in laptops, the DOS program FDISK.COM could be
> used to delete everything on the card and then recreate any
> necessary partition. With luck, the camera might be able to
> recognize the card if it contains no partitions.
>
> But that's only a remote possibility. You'd probably have to use
> FDISK to also recreate a partition and then add a logical volume
> (the "letter"ed disk drive). The logical volume would have to be
> formatted and some later versions of FDISK automatically do that for
> you. Other versions require that you run a separate program
> (FORMAT.COM) instead. If you could manage all that, I think that
> your camera would then be able to recognize your memory cards.
>
> If you don't have the resources to do any of this, your best bet
> would be to find someone with a laptop computer, some bootable DOS
> floppy disks, already set up with any necessary PCMCIA drivers in
> CONFIG.SYS (and possibly AUTOEXEC.BAT). Then you'd just need a
> suitable inexpensive PCMCIA card adapter to hold your SmartMedia
> cards and someone at least slightly familiar with FDISK, or
> determined enough to plow on regardless.

Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12. Dos/windows
won't let me do that directly. There may be some command line numbers I
could punch in if I knew what they were.
As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.

With all this meesing around, being careful as I can, I still trashed
my only remaining "good" card. Sigh!!!

There's considerable written on the subject, but little actual solution.
Many dead links to "solutions".

I'll keep pluggin'
Thanks for help.

mike

ASAAR

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:40:54 -0700, mike wrote:

> Actually, I have all that stuff. Problem is knowing what to do with it.
> For example, a 128MB SM card seems to be formatted FAT12. Dos/windows
> won't let me do that directly. There may be some command line numbers I
> could punch in if I knew what they were.

Why do you want to use FAT12?

> As I mentioned in my first post, I've messed around considerably with
> Ranish partiion manager, but the FAT12 format always comes up with
> errors cause the programs don't expect such strange numbers.
> There's stuff on the card that FDISK/FORMAT doesn't know about.

You're not being clear. Are the errors coming up when you're
modifying the partion(s) or formatting with Ranish, or afterwards,
when other programs try to access the cards?

Other than a few utilities, programs don't access the drives
directly, but use Windows to handle disk I/O. If you're getting
disk errors when running other programs, it's Windows that is having
problems accessing your card.

If there's stuff on the card that FDISK doesn't know about, don't
worry about it - it's perfectly capable of removing alien
partitions. You would then be able to create standard partitions
and logical drives that should be recognizable by both your computer
and also by your camera. But before you try that, FDISK, and
presumably Ranish, should be able to show you whether the memory
card contains a primary or an extended partition. If it's extended,
that could be the cause of your problem. I don't know if this
applies to all versions of Windows, but some, such as NT don't
recognize extended partitions when they're on removeable media.

Bill Funk

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:02:48 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:23:26 -0700, mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Most of my SmartMedia cards have been used in/formatted
>>>by my mp3 player and are no longer visible to my digital cameras.
>>>Olympus D-510 Zoom and Fuji 2400Z.
>>>I get a "!Card error" and the camera refuses to format.
>>>I can format the cards in windows as fat16, but the cameras
>>>still can't use 'em. And there are strange effects in windows.
>>>a 64MB card looks like 128MB only in some flash readers.
>>>
>>>The remaining card that works in the cameras is a 16MB card that appears
>>>to be formatted FAT12.
>>>
>>>I've googled my fingers off. There is reference to a formatting program
>>>that runs on a discontinued flash reader that you can't get with a SMC chip.
>>>I've messed around with Ranish Partition Manager without success.
>>>
>>>This has to be a pervasive problem.
>>>Any solutions? Maybe newer cameras that can fix the problem?
>>>Can printers that print directly from flash cards format them?
>>>Linux programs? I'm grabbin' at straws here...
>>>
>>>Thanks, mike

>> A not uncommon problem when using SmartMedia cards in some MP3
>> devices.
>> Here's a site that discusses the problem, and some solutions...
>> http://www.digit-life.com/articles/smcrestore/
>>

>Thanks, but that's the site that fixes the problem with the obsolete
>card reader.
>Anything that works on something obtainable?
>mike

Ebay?