Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji S5500 v Fuji S7000

Fuji S5500 v Fuji S7000

Paul D

I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
models.

Which would you recommend and why?

Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

Many thanks

ASAAR

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:35:16 +0100, Paul D wrote:

> I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
> models.
>
> Which would you recommend and why?

Neither. Because you didn't provide any information describing
why you want to upgrade and what feature(s) you consider important
in a camera.

Paul D

n Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:48:10 -0400, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:35:16 +0100, Paul D wrote:
>
>> I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
>> models.
>>
>> Which would you recommend and why?

> Neither. Because you didn't provide any information describing
>why you want to upgrade and what feature(s) you consider important
>in a camera.

I want a camera with increased optical zoom, more manual controls
including improved shutter control for astrophotography, and general I
want to upgrade from my current camera.

colin.

"Paul D" <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
| models.
|
| Which would you recommend and why?
|
| Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

I bought a S5500 last weekend and all I can say is that I love it. However,
I don't know what you want to use it for. Be more specific.

Paul D

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:04:27 GMT, "colin." <colin###@###j0o.com>
wrote:

>"Paul D" <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>| I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
>| models.
>|
>| Which would you recommend and why?
>|
>| Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?
>

>I bought a S5500 last weekend and all I can say is that I love it. However,
>I don't know what you want to use it for. Be more specific.

I use my camera for still life, sports, music festivals and general
landscape/seascape photos.

I want to upgrade my camera and increase the optical zoom capability.

ASAAR

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:39:10 +0100, Paul D wrote:

> I want a camera with increased optical zoom, more manual controls
> including improved shutter control for astrophotography, and general I
> want to upgrade from my current camera.

I have a Fuji S5100, and while it is a very nice camera, it
wouldn't be suitable for astrophotography. It doesn't allow for
long shutter speeds. Only 15 seconds in Manual mode, 3 seconds
otherwise. I don't know for sure, but I think that the S7000 has
the same limit. The reviews at dpreview.com are useful here because
one of the tests they do checks for low light performance. The
cameras that do better here usually have a "de-noise" option that
allows the black areas to remain relatively dark, eliminating the
"fog" effect that you generally get.

For a general upgrade, the Fuji S5100 would be a nice little
camera that's very flexible. But if you want to take lots of
non-celestial pictures with the lens zoomed to the long tele
position, you might prefer one of the other cameras (Canon,
Panasonic, Sony, etc.) that has image stabilization. For
astrophotography, you might be better off with one of the more
inexpensive DSLRs, as they're the direction you need to go for low
noise, higher sensitivity. and they'd certainly be a big upgrade and
would provide all of the manual controls you'd want.

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul D <tony_nospam_@highbury_no_no.com> wrote:

> I am interested in upgrading from my Fuji 4700 Zoom to one of these
> models.
>
> Which would you recommend and why?
>
> Which is better 10x zoom and 6x zoom?

I bought the 7000 a year ago. I'd say the 6x zoom (35mm equivalent is
210mm - 4.2x magnification) is about the limit if you don't use a tripod.
The 7000 has a very smart interpolation to 12.3 megapixels but has a
VERY aggressive autofocus that often does what you don't want it to do.

If extended zooming is necessary take a look at the Panasonic cameras
with image stabilization.