Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > digital printing DPI

digital printing DPI

nospam

Hi,

if I have an image with a resolution of

2250 x 1500 (3:2)

and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.

if I ask them to print it at a size of
6 x 4 inches (3:2)

will they

a) print it at 375 dpi?

b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?

c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?

d) some thing else.

If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
at?

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

nospam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I have an image with a resolution of
>
> 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
>
> and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
> 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.

Are you sure?

> if I ask them to print it at a size of
> 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
>
> will they
>
> a) print it at 375 dpi?
>
> b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
>
> c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?

Likely they will print it at whatever their printer prints at and will
use software to adjust, rather than cropping.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bob Williams

nospam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I have an image with a resolution of
>
> 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
>
> and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
> 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
>
> if I ask them to print it at a size of
> 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
>
> will they
>
> a) print it at 375 dpi?
>
> b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
>
> c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
>
> d) some thing else.
>
> If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
> at?
>
> Thanks

AFAIK, most commercial printers have some "native" resolution at which
they print. (Probably 300 dpi)
No matter what resolution your sent image is, They will resample it to
300 dpi before printing. Of course it's best to send as many original
pixels as possible so the print does not suffer too much from UPsampling.
Bob Williams

Ken Weitzel

nospam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I have an image with a resolution of
>
> 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
>
> and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
> 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
>
> if I ask them to print it at a size of
> 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
>
> will they
>
> a) print it at 375 dpi?
>
> b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
>
> c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
>
> d) some thing else.
>
> If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
> at?
>
> Thanks

Hi...

They're going to print it at what their printer wants
to print it at.

If you've given them too much they'll downsample; if you
give them too few they'll upsample.

Naturally they won't intentionally crop it on you,
but they *will* if you give them an image of inappropriate
ratio.

Take care.

Ken

Darrell

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> nospam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> if I have an image with a resolution of
>>
>> 2250 x 1500 (3:2)
>>
>> and ask one of the online printers to print it at a size of
>> 7.5 x 5 inches (3:2) it will be printed at 300 dpi.
>>
>> if I ask them to print it at a size of
>> 6 x 4 inches (3:2)
>>
>> will they
>>
>> a) print it at 375 dpi?
>>
>> b) use some software filter to make the image to a 300 dpi format?
>>
>> c) crop it to a 300 dpi format?
>>
>> d) some thing else.
>>
>> If they can print at 375 dpi then what is the maximum dpi they can print
>> at?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> AFAIK, most commercial printers have some "native" resolution at which
> they print. (Probably 300 dpi)
> No matter what resolution your sent image is, They will resample it to 300
> dpi before printing. Of course it's best to send as many original pixels
> as possible so the print does not suffer too much from UPsampling.
> Bob Williams

The Noritsu 2901 uses 400 dpi, this would be the same for all current
Noritsu's. Some other mini-labs run at 300 dpi. You should ask the lab, and
see if they have a profile available.

A good resource is; http://www.drycreekphoto.com

Sharp Shooter

nospam

I have just had replies from two online photo labs.

www.peak-imaging.com say;

"All our printers have a target resolution of 256dpi so anything over
that is
overkill for the relevant print size."

and

www.club35.co.uk

The printer prints at 300dpi, if the image is above this it is
automatically
converted to 300dpi.

So I guess that answers my questions.

No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

Bob Williams

nospam wrote:

> I have just had replies from two online photo labs.
>
> www.peak-imaging.com say;
>
> "All our printers have a target resolution of 256dpi so anything over
> that is
> overkill for the relevant print size."
>
> and
>
> www.club35.co.uk
>
> The printer prints at 300dpi, if the image is above this it is
> automatically
> converted to 300dpi.
>

> So I guess that answers my questions.
>
> No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
> as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

You don't really need 3000 2400 = 7.2MP to make stunning 8x10s
Actually, 4 MP will do nicely.
You can upsample your image to 7.2 MP in Photoshop (or similar), or let
the online printer do it for you. Most people could not see the
difference in two 8x10 prints, one made with 7.2 original MP and one
with 4.0 original MP upsampled to 7.2MP.
Megapixels is just one of many important variables that determine image
quality. Lens quality, sensor size, available light, jpeg compression
and the manufacturer's in-camera processing all contribute strongly to
the final image quality.
Bob Williams

Jim Townsend

nospam wrote:

> No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
> as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

So you never crop your images ?

nospam

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim Townsend
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>nospam wrote:
>

>> No need to get a camera that has a resolution of more than 3000 x 2400
>> as I don't print bigger than 10x8.

>So you never crop your images ?

OK point taken, but I never crop too much so maybe some of my prints
will come out at 280 dpi, I guess I won't notice too much difference.

But the mju800 has a resolution of 3200 ish so I have 200 or so pixels
in hand. But at least now I'm not going to worry too much about spending
too much money on a mega camera.