Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Counterfeit" batteries

"Counterfeit" batteries

David W

Hi group,
Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
wouldn't they.

Dave W.

David J Taylor

David W wrote:
> Hi group,
> Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap
> batteries advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any
> experience with these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of
> dangers, but they would wouldn't they.
>
> Dave W.

Hahnel is a make I would trust. Not dirt cheap, but no dirt quality
either.

David

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:20:28 +0100, "David W"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi group,
>Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
>advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
>these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
>wouldn't they.

I assume you mean non-rechargeables? They would work but go flat
quicker than 'branded' ones.

far better, imho, to get some Nimh batteries and a charger from
somewhere like maplin.

sponix

A Mate

The unbranded generic Chinese specials last about half as long as the
'branded' Chinese batteries in my experience. (I'm talking re-chargeable
Li-on batteries!).

"David W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:da31t1$mm8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi group,
> Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap
> batteries advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any
> experience with these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers,
> but they would wouldn't they.
>
> Dave W.

David W

I should say that I meant the rechargeable Li-Ion batteries; from such
sources as batterylogic.co.uk etc. Thanks for the response anyway.

Dave W.

Hal Lowe

Hi Dave,

Someone on this NG recommended these batteries to me quite some time
ago:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/Index.asp

I've been buying ever since. The chargers are quite good as well.

Hal Lowe

http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?...name=web_email

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi group,
>Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
>advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
>these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
>wouldn't they.
>
>Dave W.

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

I've got an orbit battery charger and 4 nicd sanyo AA from a chain that is
specialized in batteries, germanos www.germanos.gr ,for just 11 euro.But the
batteries are made in japan, I could get a NiMH set with a better charger
for just 22 euro.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> Hi Dave,
>
> Someone on this NG recommended these batteries to me quite some time
> ago:
>
> http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/Index.asp
>
> I've been buying ever since. The chargers are quite good as well.
>
> Hal Lowe
>
> http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
> http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
> http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
> http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?...name=web_email
>

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:20:28 +0100, "David W"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi group,
> >Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap

batteries
> >advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
> >these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
> >wouldn't they.
> >
> >Dave W.

Mark

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi group,
>Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
>advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
>these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
>wouldn't they.

....no problems at all using the widely available Uniross equivalents.
And a 2 yr warranty, IIRC.

--
Mark

ecm

David W wrote:
> Hi group,
> Having 3 digital cameras in the household (between us), the cheap batteries
> advertised on the internet are tempting. Has anyone any experience with
> these? Are they OK? Canon warns of all sorts of dangers, but they would
> wouldn't they.
>
> Dave W.

I've used generic LiIon replacements for my Olympus and Canon and they
work fine; they don't last as long per charge as the originals do -
generally they last for ~250-350 shots rather than 400. BUT, they cost
15-25% of the original's replacement cost - eg. Canon BP-511 - Brand
name $70, generic $12; Oly BLM-01 - Brand $60, generic $17. So, I can
buy 3-6 generic batteries for the same price as one branded
replacement. If you're in the States I've had good luck so far with
www.sterlingtek.com for generic batteries.

ECM

Marten

I've bought Canon BP511 batteries from these guys. They are still going
strong after 1 year. Two batteries and a charger with AC adapter and car
cord for US$28 including shipping. That's hard to beat
http://stores.ebay.com/Eforcity_W0QQ...3aUSQ3a7QQtZkm

Marten