Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS-20D concern before purchase

Canon EOS-20D concern before purchase

RT

Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
you know what was/is the problem causing it?

Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

thanks all

l e o

RT wrote:
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

I have had the 20D for months and never had any problems. I have shot
thousands of pix so far.

John A. Stovall

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:41:26 -0500, RT wrote:

>Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
>I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
>that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
>firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
>you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
>Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
>were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
>are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

Why not just look at the different fixes in the firmware?

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/e...irmware-e.html

Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are
included:

Version 1.0.4/1.0.5 changes:

1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.
2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.
3. Improvements in the firmware update program itself.

Version 1.1.0 changes:

1. Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)
have been added to the camera menus.

Three new languages have been added to the 12 current ones, for a
total of 15 supported languages.

2. The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images
taken at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been
fixed.

The issue with horizontal line noise appearing in shots taken at
high ISO settings (ISO800, ISO1600, etc.) while using the internal
flash has been fixed.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol

bmyself

Yes! read Johns link on the software updates.
Some people were experiencing Lock-ups on the early models but, saying that,
I have had my 20D for almost a year now - and never experienced any faults
whatsoever.
As far as purchasing the 20D goes, I had a second-one last week from Jessops
for £900. I have seen cheaper-slightly but, these people who sell cheaper
are more than likely Imported goods. So, go to Jessops, and they have a
price promise if you find cheaper.
Regards
mike
www.mikezite.co.uk

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:41:26 -0500, RT wrote:
>
> >Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
> >
> >I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> >that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> >firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> >you know what was/is the problem causing it?
> >
> >Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> >were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> >are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?

> Why not just look at the different fixes in the firmware?
>
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos20d/e...irmware-e.html
>
> Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are
> included:
>
> Version 1.0.4/1.0.5 changes:
>
> 1. Fixes the problem of shutter release not working.
> 2. Improves reliability when using some CF cards.
> 3. Improvements in the firmware update program itself.
>
> Version 1.1.0 changes:
>
> 1. Three new languages (Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese)
> have been added to the camera menus.
>
> Three new languages have been added to the 12 current ones, for a
> total of 15 supported languages.
>
> 2. The phenomenon of horizontal line noise appearing in images
> taken at high ISO settings while using the internal flash has been
> fixed.
>
> The issue with horizontal line noise appearing in shots taken at
> high ISO settings (ISO800, ISO1600, etc.) while using the internal
> flash has been fixed.
>

> ************************************************** *******
>
> "A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
> Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
> mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "
>
> _Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
> by Friedrich Nietzsche
> Chapter XI
> The New Idol

RustYİ

<RT> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?

The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
have sorted it though on new stock.

C Wright

On 6/30/05 10:41 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"RT" <RT> wrote:

> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>
> I have read that some owners' cameras freeze up but I didn't know if
> that was resolved or not lately? Did that have to do with the
> firmware because I read something about the 20D's firmware? If not, do
> you know what was/is the problem causing it?
>
> Inotherwords, do I still need to be concerned about this issue if I
> were to purchase the EOS 20D next month? And if I buy on line, who
> are the most reputable vendors (especially for returns) ?
>
> thanks all

I have had a 20D for almost a year and never had a lockup! I have always
updated to the latest firmware so maybe it would have happened if I had not
updated but the point is that a few complaints does not make it a universal
problem.

Joseph Meehan

RustYİ wrote:
> <RT> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
> Many users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring
> the camera to be switched off then on again or even battery removal.
> I believe Canon have sorted it though on new stock.

Interesting. I have had mine (with the battery grip) for about a year
and not one lockup. But then maybe I was just lucky.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

John A. Stovall

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:51:18 GMT, "RustYİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><RT> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

>The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder. Many
>users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the camera
>to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
>have sorted it though on new stock.

Canon has addressed this problem.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10464

April 27, 2005

To customers using the BG-E2 battery grip with an EOS 20D digital SLR
camera:

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have confirmed that the BG-E2 battery grip for the EOS 20D digital
SLR camera causes issues such as the number of shots being limited or
a low-battery warning being displayed immediately when used with a
fully charged battery pack or a fresh set of AA batteries. Canon
offers its sincerest apologies to all customers who have been
inconvenienced by this issue.

Starting at the end of May, we plan to offer repairs free of charge
for all BG-E2 battery grips that are affected by this issue. The
starting date and more detailed information will be announced soon.
With sincere regret for the inconvenience this represents for our
users, we ask for your patience until that announcement can be made.

We spare no effort in our quality control process, to make sure our
customers can use our products with confidence. Please accept our
thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Inquiries about this issue should be directed to:

BG-E2 Call Center
1-800-828-4040 (toll-free)

Business Hours
Weekdays: 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays, holidays: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol

Dave R knows who

"RustYİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qiWwe.24832$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <RT> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>

> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
> Many
> users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
> camera
> to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
> have sorted it though on new stock.

Did they fix the grip or the camera?

John A. Stovall

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:54:30 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"RustYİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:qiWwe.24832$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <RT> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are the recent crop of 20D's still freezing up?
>>>

>> The biggest problem is when using the vertical grip / battery holder.
>> Many
>> users have had severe problems with this piece of kit, requiring the
>> camera
>> to be switched off then on again or even battery removal. I believe Canon
>> have sorted it though on new stock.
>>

>Did they fix the grip or the camera?

The grip was the problem. They fixed it.

"A state, is called the coldest of all cold monsters.
Coldly lieth it also; and this lie creepeth from its
mouth: "I, the state, am the people." "

_Thus Spake Zarathusttra_
by Friedrich Nietzsche
Chapter XI
The New Idol

Electronic purchase with the latest technology know this fantasticstore you make your purchase and receive in five days at home buy to resellor use propio jhom Python 0 07-31-2010 10:33 AM
looking for feed back before purchase map Digital Photography 2 11-05-2006 01:41 PM
security concern with bridge mode in xp =?Utf-8?B?bmljaw==?= Wireless Networking 0 12-20-2004 03:27 AM
PIX 515 Security Concern Ste Cisco 2 09-30-2004 01:00 AM
Cisco IPSEC VPN to CheckPoint firewall and linux server concern qazaka Cisco 0 10-09-2003 08:18 AM

Advertisments