Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Canon deserve a third try?

Does Canon deserve a third try?

MarkČ

"Ryadia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"David J Taylor"
>>><(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote
>>>in message newsJqxe.60683$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

>>>Are you saying it retains f2.8 throughout the long end of the zoom
>>>range???
>>>I doubt that very much.
>>>If it DOES...I'll buy one tomorrow for when I don't want to lug my full
>>>kit.
>>>I'm off to dpreview.com...

>> OK--I just checked...
>> Never mind... I HATE electronic viewfinders...and...it can't do manual
>> focus!!
>> Forget it.

> Wrong again...
> My FZ20's manual focus works as does the hotshoe flash. I agree the
> viewfinder is a drag but there is yet light in your horizon... The next
> model up from the FZ20 is a rangefinder camera. OK, it's $500 extra and
> doesn't have the lens but hey, since when did you concern yourself with
> finer details?

The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
No thanks.

eric phillips

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:44:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

>eric phillips wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:30:00 GMT, MW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'd love to get a DSLR but it's out of my price range right now.

>You are saying that you can get a DSLR with a zoom lens for less than the
>price of FZ5 or FZ20? Remember that the FZ20 has a 36 - 432mm f/2.8 image
>stabilised zoom - how much does the equivalent 35mm Canon lens cost?
>Don't be fooled by the body-only cost either.
>
>David

No , I am offering an alternative. Read Mitch's comment. What I am
suggesting is that you do not need f/2.8 and stabilised lens to get
good results. Quality lenses can be acquired at a later date.
eric phillips

David J Taylor

MarkČ wrote:
[]
> The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
> The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
> here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
> No thanks.

I was also sceptical until I actually tried it (on the FZ20) - it's not a
guessing game at all. Of course, with the smaller sensor camera you may
not need maual focus as often.

David

David J Taylor

eric phillips wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:44:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> eric phillips wrote:

>> You are saying that you can get a DSLR with a zoom lens for less
>> than the price of FZ5 or FZ20? Remember that the FZ20 has a 36 -
>> 432mm f/2.8 image stabilised zoom - how much does the equivalent
>> 35mm Canon lens cost? Don't be fooled by the body-only cost either.
>>
>> David
>>

> No , I am offering an alternative. Read Mitch's comment. What I am
> suggesting is that you do not need f/2.8 and stabilised lens to get
> good results. Quality lenses can be acquired at a later date.
> eric phillips

Thanks for clarifying that. A person should evaluate their own needs and
resources and plan accordingly. Great to have the choice.

David

Bruce Graham

In article <nqCxe.6590$Eo.1021@fed1read04>, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> says...
> The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
> The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
> here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
> No thanks.

Because it is magnified, FZ20 manual focus can be quite accurate. I
respect your "No EVF" position in that they are pretty unpleasant to use,
but in the FZ20 case, manual focus is OK - maybe more accurate than
manual focus with a DSLR.

I wonder if a very high resolution, fast response EVF might be the way of
the future - I just haven't seen one yet.

David J Taylor

Bruce Graham wrote:
[]
> I wonder if a very high resolution, fast response EVF might be the
> way of the future - I just haven't seen one yet.

The Minolta A2 had a VGA resolution EVF which was a delight to use, but
they have scrapped it on their newer models....

David

MarkČ

"Bruce Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). au...
> In article <nqCxe.6590$Eo.1021@fed1read04>, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> says...
>> The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
>> The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
>> here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
>> No thanks.
>>

> Because it is magnified, FZ20 manual focus can be quite accurate. I
> respect your "No EVF" position in that they are pretty unpleasant to use,
> but in the FZ20 case, manual focus is OK - maybe more accurate than
> manual focus with a DSLR.
>
> I wonder if a very high resolution, fast response EVF might be the way of
> the future - I just haven't seen one yet.

Manual focus is one issue...
....But my biggest issue with EVF relates to two other items:

1) Simple lack of resolution/color rendition
2) (and a biggie for me) -Response time.

I've yet to see an EVF that is lightning fast.
If you shoot action/wildlife where you've got to be very quick on the draw
to grab a shot at a partiular moment...there are two things that just murder
you:
1) Shutter lag
2) EVF-based "vision-lag" (or so I call it).

MW

MarkČ wrote:

> The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
> The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
> here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
> No thanks.

I'm still intrigued by your suggestion that I get a D30, D60, or 100D
for less than the price of a FZ20. (That doesn't take into account the
cost of lenses that would duplicate the reach of the FZ20's lens, however.)

I've been checking out eBay listings and there are indeed some good buys
on DSLRs.

eric phillips

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:10:05 GMT, MW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MarkČ wrote:
>>
>> The FZ5 does NOT have manual focus (according to dpreview).
>> The FZ20 does...but we're still talking about electronic viewfinders
>> here...which means that truly manually focusing is a guessing game.
>> No thanks.
>>

>I'm still intrigued by your suggestion that I get a D30, D60, or 100D
>for less than the price of a FZ20. (That doesn't take into account the
>cost of lenses that would duplicate the reach of the FZ20's lens, however.)
>
>I've been checking out eBay listings and there are indeed some good buys
>on DSLRs.

another site to check is Fred Miranda .Look in forum/buy and sell.
eric phillips