Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Embedding Text in GIF Files

Embedding Text in GIF Files

Ken Hall

I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the way
EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that this
could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to add any
ascii characters to the file it stops working right.

Ken

pjp

It's done by slightly altering the actual original data and not by simply
"adding it on". The data is later "reconstructed".

"Ken Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the way
> EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that this
> could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to add any
> ascii characters to the file it stops working right.
>
> Ken

Ken Hall

Do you have a link to a program that does this or an explanation of
how it's done?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:47:26 GMT, "pjp"
<pjpoirier_is_located_at_@_hotmail_._com> wrote:

>It's done by slightly altering the actual original data and not by simply
>"adding it on". The data is later "reconstructed".
>
>"Ken Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the way
>> EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that this
>> could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to add any
>> ascii characters to the file it stops working right.
>>
>> Ken

Ken

Gisle Hannemyr

Ken Hall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I would like to embed some notes inside a GIF file similar to the
> way EXIF data is embedded in JPEG files. Some time ago I read that
> this could be done but the post didn't explain how. When I try to
> add any ascii characters to the file it stops working right.

The original GIF87 format didn't support comments, the newer GIF89
does.

A free command line tool that let you create GIF89 files with an
embedded comment is ppmtogif:
http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppmtogif.html

If you want something with a GUI, John Bradley's xv let you
edit the GIF89 comments:
http://www.trilon.com/xv/

There are probably tons of other programs out there that lets you
do this - but the two above are the examples I know about.