Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Retinar vs Kreuznach

Retinar vs Kreuznach

Richard Bornstein

It seems that my first post didn't end up here so I am trying again. I was
wonder what the differences between the two Kodak lenses were and was one
better than the other? Thanks.

Roy

"Richard Bornstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that my first post didn't end up here so I am trying again. I
> was
> wonder what the differences between the two Kodak lenses were and was one
> better than the other? Thanks.

Hi there.

Those sort of Cameras and associated lenses are really collectors items.

I would have thought that a digital NG, even though it contains some
wrinklies like me, would not be the most suitable place to ask.

Roy G

Jim

"Richard Bornstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that my first post didn't end up here so I am trying again. I

was
> wonder what the differences between the two Kodak lenses were and was one
> better than the other? Thanks.

Retinar was Kodak's trademark for a house brand lens. These lenses have not
been made in a very long time.
Kreusnach is half of the name Scheider Kreusnach which is a highly regarded
German optics firm (still in business by the way).

Kreusnach is the more desirable lens.
Jim

Bob Salomon

In article <DVywe.2239$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Scheider Kreusnach which is a highly regarded
> German optics firm (still in business by the way

Was.

The current company is the successor to the company that made the lenses
for the Retina. The Schneider company that made the Retina lenses was
bought by Heinrich Mandermann several years ago who then downsized it by
liquidation and re-opened as the current company. By the liquidation he
was able to spin off parts of the company and reduce employment.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Ron Hunter

Jim wrote:
> "Richard Bornstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>It seems that my first post didn't end up here so I am trying again. I

> was
>
>>wonder what the differences between the two Kodak lenses were and was one
>>better than the other? Thanks.
>>

> Retinar was Kodak's trademark for a house brand lens. These lenses have not
> been made in a very long time.
> Kreusnach is half of the name Scheider Kreusnach which is a highly regarded
> German optics firm (still in business by the way).
>
> Kreusnach is the more desirable lens.
> Jim

You are so misinformed it is amazing. Both lenses are still available
on Kodak cameras, from the latest releases of digital cameras. At least
LOOK before you make such an embarrassing misstatement....

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Richard Bornstein

Thanks for your reply, but both lenses are on kodak digital cameras so I
thought that the digital newsgroup would be the best place to ask. I am not
quite a wrinkly just yet. lol

"Roy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fytwe.7913$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard Bornstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It seems that my first post didn't end up here so I am trying again. I
> > was
> > wonder what the differences between the two Kodak lenses were and was

one
> > better than the other? Thanks.
> >

> Hi there.
>
> Those sort of Cameras and associated lenses are really collectors items.
>
> I would have thought that a digital NG, even though it contains some
> wrinklies like me, would not be the most suitable place to ask.
>
> Roy G

David J. Littleboy

"Richard Bornstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply, but both lenses are on kodak digital cameras so I
> thought that the digital newsgroup would be the best place to ask. I am
> not
> quite a wrinkly just yet. lol

For those of us who are wrinkly, those names actually used to mean something
(the Kodak Retina cameras were wonderful cameras; true classics, Kodak made
the lenses for the early Hasselblad as well as some excellent LF lenses, and
the Schneider-Kreuznach lenses for film cameras have always been top notch).
Nowadays, you must look for reviews of the individual camera and see how it
performs as a system. The name on the lens is largely irrelevant.

The usual suspects (for reviews):
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

If you can't find a thorough review of the camera, don't buy it.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Gerrit 't Hart

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O8Iwe.969$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim wrote:

SNIP

> You are so misinformed it is amazing. Both lenses are still available
> on Kodak cameras, from the latest releases of digital cameras. At least
> LOOK before you make such an embarrassing misstatement....
>

> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

OK Ron, but which is the better product?

Kodak cameras with the Schneider lenses are generally more expensive, but
that may not say anything. (Maybe having a German sounding name can justify
charging more?)

Gerrit

Nostrobino

"Gerrit 't Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42c3bd6f$0$8687$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O8Iwe.969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jim wrote:

> SNIP
>
>> You are so misinformed it is amazing. Both lenses are still available
>> on Kodak cameras, from the latest releases of digital cameras. At least
>> LOOK before you make such an embarrassing misstatement....
>>

>> --
>> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

> OK Ron, but which is the better product?
>
> Kodak cameras with the Schneider lenses are generally more expensive, but
> that may not say anything. (Maybe having a German sounding name can
> justify
> charging more?)

I think one or two of these guys are talking about the old Kodak German-made
Retina line of 35mm cameras. I bought a new Retina IIa in 1952, and that had
a Schneider Xenon lens. I don't think I've ever seen a Retina with a
"Retinar" lens, but if there was such an animal it would have been an
economy version. The Retinas were Kodak's upscale line of 35s and all of
them that I ever saw had lenses from the best German lens makers like
Schneider and Rodenstock, as I recall.

The name "Retinar" strongly suggests a lower class of lens. "Schneider
Kreuznach" is clearly Kodak's name for what it's presenting as a prestige
class lens, though whether it really has anything to do with the original
German Schneider (Schneider-Kreuznach) company I have no idea.

N.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the original
> German Schneider (Schneider-Kreuznach) company

That company was Jos. Schneider& Co. Optische Werke in Bad Kreuznach,
Germany

The company that was formed after the liquidation of the Jos. Schneider
Co. was Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH in Bad Kreuznach, Germany.

The former one made lenses for the Retina. The latter one licenses
companies like Kodak and Samsung to use the Schneider name on their
lenses.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.