Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Retinar vs Kreuznach

Retinar vs Kreuznach

Ron Hunter

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:O8Iwe.969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jim wrote:

> SNIP
>

>>You are so misinformed it is amazing. Both lenses are still available
>>on Kodak cameras, from the latest releases of digital cameras. At least
>>LOOK before you make such an embarrassing misstatement....
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> OK Ron, but which is the better product?
>
> Kodak cameras with the Schneider lenses are generally more expensive, but
> that may not say anything. (Maybe having a German sounding name can justify
> charging more?)
>
> Gerrit

I really can't say which is better. Conventional wisdom says the
Schneider lens would be better, and I chose my current camera partly on
that assumption, but I have used Retinar lenses over the years and can't
fault them either. I think the simple answer is that for a P&S camera
in the price range, and under 7 mp, it probably doesn't matter.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Bob Salomon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nostrobino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>the original
>>German Schneider (Schneider-Kreuznach) company

> That company was Jos. Schneider& Co. Optische Werke in Bad Kreuznach,
> Germany
>
> The company that was formed after the liquidation of the Jos. Schneider
> Co. was Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH in Bad Kreuznach, Germany.
>
> The former one made lenses for the Retina. The latter one licenses
> companies like Kodak and Samsung to use the Schneider name on their
> lenses.

But who makes the lenses?? Someone must make them. Kodak puts the S-K
lens in its higher priced P&S cameras, so they probably cost more to
make, which doesn't always mean they are better. I have found mine to
be quite serviceable..
Fast to zoom, and very quiet.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:52:30 -0400, Nostrobino wrote:

> "Gerrit 't Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42c3bd6f$0$8687$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:O8Iwe.969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Jim wrote:

>> SNIP
>>
>>> You are so misinformed it is amazing. Both lenses are still available
>>> on Kodak cameras, from the latest releases of digital cameras. At least
>>> LOOK before you make such an embarrassing misstatement....
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

>> OK Ron, but which is the better product?
>>
>> Kodak cameras with the Schneider lenses are generally more expensive, but
>> that may not say anything. (Maybe having a German sounding name can
>> justify
>> charging more?)

> I think one or two of these guys are talking about the old Kodak German-made
> Retina line of 35mm cameras. I bought a new Retina IIa in 1952, and that had
> a Schneider Xenon lens. I don't think I've ever seen a Retina with a
> "Retinar" lens, but if there was such an animal it would have been an
> economy version. The Retinas were Kodak's upscale line of 35s and all of
> them that I ever saw had lenses from the best German lens makers like
> Schneider and Rodenstock, as I recall.
>
> The name "Retinar" strongly suggests a lower class of lens. "Schneider
> Kreuznach" is clearly Kodak's name for what it's presenting as a prestige
> class lens, though whether it really has anything to do with the original
> German Schneider (Schneider-Kreuznach) company I have no idea.
>
> N.

In the mid '50s when I bought my Retina 1b and the the 2c there were
alternatives the the rodenstock lenses were about a 1 cheaper, at that
time a substantial difference, but the interchangable front halves of the
lenses on the 2b had to be the relevant match to the original lens built
in to the camera. Both the lens companies were at that time independent
companies.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Both the lens companies were at that time independent
> companies.

Both still are independent.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.