Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera Suggestions? Docking unit, clam shell and good zoom

Camera Suggestions? Docking unit, clam shell and good zoom

Gene Palmiter

A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
anti-shake technology soon too!

She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
want at least 4 megapixels.

Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
it up for the group
--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:14:41 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
>she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
>thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
>out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
>in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
>doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
>anti-shake technology soon too!
>
>She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
>she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
>want at least 4 megapixels.
>
>Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
>it up for the group

Use the DPReview camera search tool, but given the total set of
requirements I wouldn't hold much hope. Large zoom that fits in a purse is
a challenge, but if she's adamant on a docking station unless I've missed
something that narrows the choice to Kodak only.

I'd love to have a Ferrari that does 200mph+, runs on regular gas while
getting 30 mpg and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. However, just
because that's what I want doesn't mean my wants mesh with current reality.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Gene Palmiter

Thanks...for your quick reply and for the information. Another friend has a
Kodak with a dock...I didn't know they were the only ones that had it. I
have the dpreview database search open now but have found that, as you said,
she may not be able to have the zoom. Your information on Kodak makes my
search easier...I think the dock is the most important of the features she
requires. (right now she has an Oly 3030 and has me take the photos off the
card ...she just won't learn how to do it!)

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:14:41 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the

things
> >she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
> >thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or

take
> >out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and

get
> >in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old

and
> >doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
> >anti-shake technology soon too!
> >
> >She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and

since
> >she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I

would
> >want at least 4 megapixels.
> >
> >Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would

put
> >it up for the group

> Use the DPReview camera search tool, but given the total set of
> requirements I wouldn't hold much hope. Large zoom that fits in a purse is
> a challenge, but if she's adamant on a docking station unless I've missed
> something that narrows the choice to Kodak only.
>
> I'd love to have a Ferrari that does 200mph+, runs on regular gas while
> getting 30 mpg and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain. However,

just
> because that's what I want doesn't mean my wants mesh with current

reality.
> ----------
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:00:01 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks...for your quick reply and for the information. Another friend has a
>Kodak with a dock...I didn't know they were the only ones that had it. I
>have the dpreview database search open now but have found that, as you said,
>she may not be able to have the zoom. Your information on Kodak makes my
>search easier...I think the dock is the most important of the features she
>requires. (right now she has an Oly 3030 and has me take the photos off the
>card ...she just won't learn how to do it!)

I was just checking the buyer's guide myself. It's more limited than what I
remembered.

There are programs which will automate transfers from card readers and usb
connected cameras.However, she uses a computer and can't/won't simply copy
files off a card? I hope she's running a modern OS and not Win98 that will
require special drivers that are more and more hard to find for today's
products and is more prone to upsets and glitches that may cause problems
with the docking station itself. I have a colleague with just this
situation with his wife. He refuses to install the Kodak software on the
new PC and just transfers the files himself instead of arguing or dealing
with it breaking again.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Gene Palmiter

Yes...she is limited in this way. I have to go up to her house every once in
a while to fix up her machine. I have to dumb things down for her. I really
aught to be paid more!

> I was just checking the buyer's guide myself. It's more limited than what

> remembered.
>
> There are programs which will automate transfers from card readers and usb
> connected cameras.However, she uses a computer and can't/won't simply copy
> files off a card? I hope she's running a modern OS and not Win98 that will
> require special drivers that are more and more hard to find for today's
> products and is more prone to upsets and glitches that may cause problems
> with the docking station itself. I have a colleague with just this
> situation with his wife. He refuses to install the Kodak software on the
> new PC and just transfers the files himself instead of arguing or dealing
> with it breaking again.
> ----------
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

ASAAR

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:14:41 GMT, Gene Palmiter wrote:

> A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
> she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
> thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
> out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
> in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
> doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
> anti-shake technology soon too!
>
> She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
> she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
> want at least 4 megapixels.
>
> Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
> it up for the group

Besides the Kodak line, Fuji also offers a dock/cradle for some of
their cameras. A few of the older models (A310, A330) that use AA
batteries don't include the cradle with the camera and it has to be
purchased seperately. A month or two ago some of the stores were
selling the A330 at a reduced price and also including the cradle at
no extra charge. I don't know if the cradle has the ability to
charge NiMH AA batteries though.

More along the lines of what you're looking for are Fuji's F440
and F450. They're very small and have a square shape, and the
include a dock can be used to transfer files to a computer as well
as to charge the camera's lithium battery. The lens doesn't have an
extremely wide range, but at 3.4x it's a bit larger that the average
zoom, and it does retract completely into the camera's body, which
is *very* thin. The F440 is 4mp, and the F450 has a 5mp sensor.
There's also an F455, which I believe is a slightly larger (wider)
version of the F450, for those that prefer a more traditional shape
for camera bodies.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...ws.php&flash=7

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...e=more&flash=7

Stewy

In article <5Cmwe.7504$GP6.4631@trndny03>,
"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend has asked for my recommendations on a camera. These are the things
> she wants. A purse camera for non-technical person. She wants a docking
> thingy so she doesn't have to take out a chip to get the photos off or take
> out batteries to charge them. She wants that the lens not stick out and get
> in the way when in her purse. She wants a big zoom as she is getting old and
> doesn't want to run up to get the shot....I suppose she is going to need
> anti-shake technology soon too!
>
> She is the Publisher if the magazine where I am the Photo-Editor and since
> she is going to ask that I get them ready to put in our publication I would
> want at least 4 megapixels.
>
> Since this is not at all what I look for in a camera I thought I would put
> it up for the group

Take a look at the Fuji models F440, F450 or F455.
All use a cradle for charging and downloading pix. The cameras are
smaller than an MD walkman and there is a 3x optical zoom.

railfan

I've seen in stores quite a few HP cameras with docking stations if
that will help expand the choices.

Bob Boudreau

Gene Palmiter

Take this quiz to see which Fuji cameras might meet your needs

http://fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartne...meraFinder.jsp

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...