Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Using BRI interface as backup

Using BRI interface as backup

Pichi

Hello,

I have an production router (Cisco 1721) running over ADSL. I also have
a PIX 515e sitting behind it. The public IP of the PIX is where we have
several public services (MX Record, HTPPS Extranet). So I am really
tied to that IP address.

The ADSL line very occassionaly fails for a few hours (once a year
maybe) and so I would like to take advntage of the BRI interface on my
1721 as a backup when the ADSL goes down.

My question is:

How can I setup the router to use the ISDN line as a backup and NOT
lose all my public services tied to that public IP address?

The config does not have to be automatic. If manual changes need to be
done to the config that is acceptable.

Thank you,

Pedro Sosa

Matty M

"Pichi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have an production router (Cisco 1721) running over ADSL. I also have
> a PIX 515e sitting behind it. The public IP of the PIX is where we have
> several public services (MX Record, HTPPS Extranet). So I am really
> tied to that IP address.
>
> The ADSL line very occassionaly fails for a few hours (once a year
> maybe) and so I would like to take advntage of the BRI interface on my
> 1721 as a backup when the ADSL goes down.
>
> My question is:
>
> How can I setup the router to use the ISDN line as a backup and NOT
> lose all my public services tied to that public IP address?
>
> The config does not have to be automatic. If manual changes need to be
> done to the config that is acceptable.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pedro Sosa

Will your ISP route your range of public IPs attached to the PIX over the
ISDN? It is possible ive done it for many customers but involves a RADIUS
change at their end and thats if they permit it.

Cheers

Matt

Pichi

The ISP (Telefonica) here in Spain is awful. I could not even get them
to agree to use a Cisco router. They gave us one of thier routers
(Juanīs Router or something like that). So I put in the 1721 on my
own, and for the price I pay every month I donīt expect ANY support. I
would need to talk to about 50 people before anyone even understood
what I am trying to do, and then they would say:

You cant do that!

Sorry but on this one I am alone.

Matty M

"Pichi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
The ISP (Telefonica) here in Spain is awful. I could not even get them
to agree to use a Cisco router. They gave us one of thier routers
(Juanīs Router or something like that). So I put in the 1721 on my
own, and for the price I pay every month I donīt expect ANY support. I
would need to talk to about 50 people before anyone even understood
what I am trying to do, and then they would say:

You cant do that!

Sorry but on this one I am alone.

Hi,

Oh dear. Well because when you fire up your ISDN on a different IP
address you wont be able to route your external PIX IP addresses even for
internet access unless they are a little bit flexible.

If they can add

ip:route=<your IP address range on PIX outside interface>

on your ISDN login at their RADIUS you will be a huge leap further. Or can
you use your ADSL login as the ISDN login?

Cheers

Matt

Pichi

Matt,

Thanks for you advice. So what you are telling me then is without thier
(Telefonica) help I have no way of doing this on my own?

Cheers,

Pedro

Matty M

"Pichi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Matt,
>
> Thanks for you advice. So what you are telling me then is without thier
> (Telefonica) help I have no way of doing this on my own?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pedro

Hi,

Yes in a way. You could manually reconfigure the IP on the PIX perhaps but
it will require you reconfiguring things when the ADSL goes down. Bit of a
nightmare way though.

Cheers

Matt