Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo Paper: Which side to print?

Photo Paper: Which side to print?

Thomas Minter

I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
you print on the dull side?

I await your expert responses.

Thanks,
Tom

DaveJ

"Thomas Minter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
> print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
> you print on the dull side?
>
> I await your expert responses.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

Gary Eickmeier

DaveJ wrote:

> "Thomas Minter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
>>you print on the dull side?
>>
>>I await your expert responses.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Tom
>>

> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?

Gary Eickmeier

Bill Funk

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:12:38 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DaveJ wrote:
>
>> "Thomas Minter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
>>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
>>>you print on the dull side?
>>>
>>>I await your expert responses.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Tom
>>>

>> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
>> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
>> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
>> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

>I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
>really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
>are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
>to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
>
>Gary Eickmeier

In my experience, the printing side is the "top" side.
Which side is the top? When you open the package, the "top" is obvious
to me.
In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off from.
IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top surface.
In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the front of the
pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards you; open the
pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the top side of the
sheet.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Sheldon

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:amBve.186831$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> DaveJ wrote:
>
>> "Thomas Minter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
>>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
>>>you print on the dull side?
>>>
>>>I await your expert responses.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Tom
>>>

>> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
>> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
>> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier
>> than
>> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

> I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
> really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They are
> absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say to be
> sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Personally I really like the Epson matte papers. If you look really hard at
both sides you can figure it out. The coated side is very white and looks
like it has a matte coating on it. Lately I've been buying papers that you
can print on both sides. This definitely resolves the problem. <LOL>

Markeau

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:amBve.186831$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What
> is really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon.
> They are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the
> instructions say to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?

Take a single sheet and bend it over itself so you can see both the
front and back at the same time ... print on the whiter/lighter side
(I think

Bob

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:52:06 -0400, Thomas Minter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
>you print on the dull side?
>
>I await your expert responses.
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

I would imagine that satin means 'somewhat glossy'... I'd try that side...

You could always try each side and pick the better one!

No instructions on the package?

Bob

wrote:

>DaveJ wrote:
>
>> "Thomas Minter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
>>>print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
>>>you print on the dull side?
>>>
>>>I await your expert responses.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Tom
>>>

>> I have some PC-Line satin which is printed on the dull side (an
>> 'instruction' sheet was in the pack). Try holding a sheet horizontally
>> between you and a window - printing side should look slightly glossier than
>> standard Laser/Inkjet paper.

>I would agree - the emulsion side should be the glossier one. What is
>really maddening is the "matte" papers from both Epson and Canon. They
>are absolutely identical looking on both sides, but the instructions say
>to be sure and print on the coated side. Anyone?
>
>Gary Eickmeier

Sometimes the printable side looks bluer then the other, you have to compare it
to standard paper, such as fan-fold (remember that?). I have some Weyerhaeuser
satin/matt paper that is almost impossible to tell until you put it beside
regular paper, then the print side looks really blue!

Gary Eickmeier

Bill Funk wrote:

> In my experience, the printing side is the "top" side.
> Which side is the top? When you open the package, the "top" is obvious
> to me.
> In a hard box, the top is the side the top of the box lifts off from.
> IOW, take off the 'lid' of the box, what you see is the top surface.
> In a pouch style package, the top is the side towards the front of the
> pouch. IOW, hold the pouch so the front is towards you; open the
> pouch, and lift out a sheet. You're looking at the top side of the
> sheet.

Gosh, that sure makes it easy. Silly of me - to think that they might
have printed a logo or some hint on the backside to let us know.

Gary Eickmeier

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Thomas Minter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a box of officemax photo paper that is satin. What side do you
> print on? One side is dull and the other is somewhat glossy. Wouldn't
> you print on the dull side?
>
> I await your expert responses.

Simple - print on either side. If it looks terrible, you've printed on
the wrong side, just turn the paper over and print again