Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo Submissions / PC vs MAC

Photo Submissions / PC vs MAC

eddy long

Using:
Gateway PC
MS Win 98
--------------------------

Hello all,
I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.

Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".

I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.

What difference does it make as far as viewing the images that I submit for
a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?

Thanking all in advance.
Eddy

Ray Fischer

eddy long <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:
>Using:
>Gateway PC
>MS Win 98
>--------------------------
>
>Hello all,
>I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
>
>Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".

Don't know what that's supposed to mean. As far as I know there
aren't any Mac-specific image formats. JPEG would a likely format,
as would TIFF.

>I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.

If you offer a .gif file for publication they will (rightly) laugh at you.

--
Ray Fischer

C Wright

On 6/25/05 4:18 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "eddy long"
<eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

> Using:
> Gateway PC
> MS Win 98
> --------------------------
>
> Hello all,
> I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
>
> Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".
>
> I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.
>
> What difference does it make as far as viewing the images that I submit for
> a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?
>
> Thanking all in advance.
> Eddy

More information is needed to answer your question. By publication do you
mean on the Internet or published in a newspaper or magazine? If on the
Internet then jpg is the way to go, and PC or Mac it does not matter. As
far as viewing the images is concerned the default gamma on a Mac is
typically 1.8 whereas the default gamma on a PC is usually 2.2. This can
make for some differences in how an image looks on a Mac versus a PC.
However, since you are preparing the images on a PC, and there are far more
PC's than Macs, I would not worry about that. Additionally, most people's
monitors are so far out of adjustment that the subtle differences between a
PC and a Mac pale by comparison!
Chuck

Gregory Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"eddy long" <eddylong@boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote:

> Using:
> Gateway PC
> MS Win 98
> --------------------------
>
> Hello all,
> I am thinking of submitting some digital images for publication.
>
> Many publishers say that they "accept images in digital format *for Mac*".
>
> I usually save my images as .jpg or .gif files.
>
> What difference does it make as far as viewing the images that I submit for
> a Mac versus a PC since I use a PC?
>
> Thanking all in advance.
> Eddy

No one wants gifs; jpegs are usually ok, but print publications
generally want higher resolution tif files, which need to be made
compatible with Mac extensions to open, also CD's need to burned
with the current ISO standard that make them compatible on either
system.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918