Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How good is the D50 18-55 kit lens, really?

How good is the D50 18-55 kit lens, really?

per

I have seen several test shots where the 18-55 kit lens looks a bit soft,
almost like the Canon kit lens.
So far only this site has samples that look sharp enough:
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...T_images.shtml

Compare this pic from a Nikon D50 with the 18-70:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...1651-24-1.html
with this D50 using the 18-55:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...1651-29-1.html
The 18-55 just does not cut it here, or what do you think?

/per

birdman

This lens is not yet available so there is no real experience with it.
The Canon kit lens is usually used to demonstrate how to correct chromatic
aberration using various raw converters/plug-ins. Presumably there is a
reason for this.

Darrell

"birdman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2_mve.4090$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> This lens is not yet available so there is no real experience with it.
> The Canon kit lens is usually used to demonstrate how to correct chromatic
> aberration using various raw converters/plug-ins. Presumably there is a
> reason for this.

I have 8 of them in the store in the D60 kits. So they are available.

TAFKAB

"Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "birdman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2_mve.4090$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>
>> This lens is not yet available so there is no real experience with it.
>> The Canon kit lens is usually used to demonstrate how to correct
>> chromatic aberration using various raw converters/plug-ins. Presumably
>> there is a reason for this.

> I have 8 of them in the store in the D60 kits. So they are available.

Nikon D60s? No such animal. Do you mean the Canon D60? If so, it's
irrelevant, since the original poster was asking about the Nikon 18-55 lens,
not the Canon.

Kevin

TAFKAB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nikon D60s? No such animal. Do you mean the Canon D60? If so, it's
> irrelevant, since the original poster was asking about the Nikon 18-55 lens,
> not the Canon.

He meant D50, I was in his store the other day checking the D50's out.

I'm torn between buying the D50 kit, the D50 body with the 18-70 lens, or
the D70s kit.

wilt

The 18-55 lens is an inexpensive lens in the $100-150 price range
(street price) in addition to the body. The 17-85mm lens is a much
more expensive lens in the $575-600 street price. That should give you
an idea of the relative performance of the lenses in question! Do a
Google search on the Canon 18-55mm lens, and you will get replies about
the softness of the 18-55.

--Wilt

TAFKAB

"wilt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The 18-55 lens is an inexpensive lens in the $100-150 price range
> (street price) in addition to the body. The 17-85mm lens is a much
> more expensive lens in the $575-600 street price. That should give you
> an idea of the relative performance of the lenses in question! Do a
> Google search on the Canon 18-55mm lens, and you will get replies about
> the softness of the 18-55.

Except he's looking at Nikons, not Canons...