Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > picasa help, when viewing raw files

picasa help, when viewing raw files

larrylook

I own D70 and when I shoot in raw and jpeg, and open up with picasa, the raw
look totally different from the jpeg and generally looks wrong. I guess
picasa gets the wb and exposure all wrong - so I'll have to live with this.

I'd like to be able to open the raw displayed in picasa with nikon view, but
when I right click and select "open with", theres only a vew choices and
nikon view isnt there! How do I get more choices - or do I have to go to
windows explorer and view raw files there ( and I only get a tiny thumbnail
of raw file there).

What thumbnail viewer do people out there think is best for perusing raw
shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying jpegs, that will
open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if you'd like?
Appreciate any help.

Frank ess

larrylook wrote:
> I own D70 and when I shoot in raw and jpeg, and open up with picasa,
> the raw look totally different from the jpeg and generally looks
> wrong. I guess picasa gets the wb and exposure all wrong - so I'll
> have to live with this.
> I'd like to be able to open the raw displayed in picasa with nikon
> view, but when I right click and select "open with", theres only a
> vew choices and nikon view isnt there! How do I get more choices -
> or do I have to go to windows explorer and view raw files there (
> and
> I only get a tiny thumbnail of raw file there).
>
> What thumbnail viewer do people out there think is best for perusing
> raw shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying
> jpegs,
> that will open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if
> you'd like? Appreciate any help.

Irfanview seems to display the NEF files I have (from a CP8700) the
way they come from the camera, which is, not surprisingly, raw, and
not much like processed files such as JPEG. What you see is what the
camera puts out.

PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the time
of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make choices
(can you do that?) the display would likely be more like what
Irfanview shows. Once an NEF file is opened in PS CS, you can
neutralize the processing and get what looks like a kind of monochrome
in sepia.

What Picasa does is show what is in the NEF and JPEG files.
Unprocessed v. Processed.

--
Frank ess

John Bean

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:27:57 -0700, "Frank ess"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
>displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the time
>of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make choices
>(can you do that?) the display would likely be more like what
>Irfanview shows.

Not really. Bridge displays them exactly as they will look
when opened in ACR. If you change anything in ACR the
preview in Bridge will be updated to reflect it. ACR has
"auto" settings for those who may choose to use them, Bridge
makes no adjustments itself. None.

--
Regards

John Bean

Frank ess

John Bean wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:27:57 -0700, "Frank ess"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> PS CS2 Bridge, on the other hand, makes some choices for you, and
>> displays something more like what your eye might have seen at the
>> time of the photo. If you turn off the ability of Bridge to make
>> choices (can you do that?) the display would likely be more like
>> what
>> Irfanview shows.

> Not really. Bridge displays them exactly as they will look
> when opened in ACR. If you change anything in ACR the
> preview in Bridge will be updated to reflect it. ACR has
> "auto" settings for those who may choose to use them, Bridge
> makes no adjustments itself. None.

OK.

Mick Brown

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I own D70 and when I shoot in raw and jpeg, and open up with picasa,
> the raw look totally different from the jpeg and generally looks
> wrong. I guess picasa gets the wb and exposure all wrong - so I'll
> have to live with this.
>
> I'd like to be able to open the raw displayed in picasa with nikon
> view, but when I right click and select "open with", theres only a vew
> choices and nikon view isnt there! How do I get more choices - or do
> I have to go to windows explorer and view raw files there ( and I only
> get a tiny thumbnail of raw file there).
>
> What thumbnail viewer do people out there think is best for perusing
> raw shots (nef), that shows them looking like the accompanying jpegs,
> that will open the thumbnail with nikon view and ps elements3 too if
> you'd like? Appreciate any help.

Did you load picassa after nikon view?

If so, ry reloading nikon view, you may then get the options.

Mick Brown
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown