Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > point and shoot wide??

point and shoot wide??

Don

Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

Rudy Benner

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
> lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

Canon A85, Olympus C-5060, C-7070, I am sure there are others.

David J Taylor

Rudy Benner wrote:
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider
>> angle lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks
>>

> Canon A85, Olympus C-5060, C-7070, I am sure there are others.

Nikon Coolpix 8400 has 24mm as the wide end of its zoom, 18mm (IIRC) with
an adapter.

David

TAFKAB

The Nikon 8400 goes to 24mm equivilant without add-ons.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
> lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

Jerome Bigge

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:38:24 -0400, "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
>lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks

Minolta Z series has a wide angle converter. Canon has one
for its A series Powershots. I wouldn't expect sterling optical
quality out of any of these if past experience is still valid... I
had one of these for my first camcorder where the telephoto
was somewhat helpful, but the wide angle was quite "bad".
This was a "combo" unit offering both by "flipping" the lens.

You'd be better off picking a camera that offers a wider
"wide angle" on the virtually now standard zooms. Search
the review sites for any that start around "28mm" instead of
the more usual "35mm".

Jerome Bigge
Photographer and Astronomer
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

On 6/27/05 8:26 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Jerome Bigge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:38:24 -0400, "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Are there any point and shoot cameras that will let me add wider angle
>> lenses than average? Any suggestions? Thanks
>>

> Minolta Z series has a wide angle converter. Canon has one
> for its A series Powershots. I wouldn't expect sterling optical
> quality out of any of these if past experience is still valid... I
> had one of these for my first camcorder where the telephoto
> was somewhat helpful, but the wide angle was quite "bad".
> This was a "combo" unit offering both by "flipping" the lens.
>
> You'd be better off picking a camera that offers a wider
> "wide angle" on the virtually now standard zooms. Search
> the review sites for any that start around "28mm" instead of
> the more usual "35mm".
>
> Jerome Bigge
> Photographer and Astronomer
> Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
> Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"

Jerome:

Nikon's CoolPix 8400 is a point & shoot that comes with a 24-85 mm lens
standard without the need for any external adapter or wide angle converter
lens. This is the point and shoot with widest angle of coverage available
(to the best of my knowledge). Few cameras offer 28 mm and most fall in the
range between 35 and 38 mm.

Another great benefit of this camera is the ability to focus down to about
3/4" from the subject for some outstanding macro shots. Very few cameras
offer this capability. Price was $ 899 but lately I have seen it as low as $
499 due to dealers discounts and after a manufacturer mail-in rebate.

Best regards,

--
Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery